Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Leatherhead

seemgee

Re Porter 

apart from his debut against Hornchurch where in my humble opinion he was our standout player in an otherwise abysmal team performance,we have never lost a game when he has started,I suggest that when points were desperately needed in our last 2 league games for our playoff push his name should have been one of the first names on the team sheet,regardless of the fact that he’s cup tied for the final

In all honesty.......I'm not that bothered about the final......yes I'm out of the country unfortunately however the league will always be what we should be concentrating on.   I think Jay looks a great little player and must be kicking his heels on the bench.   We've got a great LB.......or left wing back and he's not even getting on the pitch.   The cup tied aspect is irrelevant as still don't understand why some of our defenders are getting time over others.......equally.....if that is the argument then why do we still look stretched every time we lose a ball and opposition break on us.   I thought  Leatherhead's number 8 did a great job on Saturday on breaking up play, covering ground and generally being a stopper.   We look at the races when the other team wins the ball.........and have done much of the season.

Our style of play.......

Our lack of organisation at the back

Billy has looked lost for so long without Mo up beside him......   Why so often does our team look like strangers?

Would 4 2 3 1 seriously not have worked with the attacking midfielders we have?

The manager is in place to produce a football team ......................For too long there are too many questions left unanswered.

On 01/04/2019 at 15:40, Tom S said:

Youngs "seems to have been carrying a known injury"? Don't you read the match reports or watch the videos? He was carried off at Whitehawk and hadn't played since. You recently complained about Rumens "keeping his place" at Haringey when he was recalled after being dropped for the previous three games. Why should I take anything you write seriously?

Given that Porter is cup-tied for the final next week don't you think that might be part of the reason for his non-selection? It's obvious that the left side of our defence for the final will have to be two of Rumens, Payne and Green. I don't think it's any conicidence that the last two league starts have featured two of the three possible permutations and who'd bet against Payne and Green starting on Saturday if that's the case?

I don't go with that cup tied crap.

If Andy is trying to find a formation for the final then in my opinion he has let the club down.

I thought he should be playing his best players to get points and get us in the playoffs and Jay Is probably the best left back in the league.

Wake up and smell the coffee Andy.

Time for a parting of the ways imo.

I'm going to have to disagree here, or at least say something to counter what seems to be a very one sided discussion... I like what I've seen so far of Porter, but I'm not sure we can start suggesting he's the best left back in the league until he's at least played a few more games for us (appreciate he's not doing that at the moment). I remember thinking that Sutton looked a class act when he first joined, but his form and performances tailed off over time.

A number of people were calling for Greene to be in the side on Saturday, which he was - and he's clearly a decent attack minded left wing back (thought that he started well, but was lacking match sharpness, and got caught on the ball a few times as the second half went on).

I guess what I'm saying is that whilst we're all entitled to opinions about who should and shouldn't be playing, I don't think it's as clear a choice as people are making out. It might be that had Porter started in place of Greene we'd have got a better result... or maybe we mightn't have. I can be pretty sure that had he started, there would be people on here deriding Andy for leaving out Greene.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the team performance on Saturday, which I think we can all agree was a long way short of what's required - and the buck clearly stops with the management team for that, but it does strike me that a number of posters on here are very quick to jump on every fault when we lose, but are conversely very slow to praise when we do turn in a decent performance. If I could be bothered, I'd love to pull some stats for the average number of messages per thread for games we've lost vs games we've won... but life's too short, so I'm going to go back to not worrying too much, hoping things work out OK for the club (whoever is in charge of the playing side), and crossing my fingers for some better performances in the games to come.

Feel free to tear the above to shreds, only too happy to be of assistance if it helps you vent ?

Edited by Barney
Fixing my awful grammar

Barney, I see no reason for you being torn to shreds for your post but perhaps if I may I'd like to give a reason for my querying why Porter etc have been missing of late.

The quote regarding "JP being the best left back etc" was made by another manager on a non-league radio show. It was was first referred to by Wildlife in a post on 15 February.** There is also a glowing recommendation ( or perhaps a self congratulatory comment ) by the Manager to his signing in the official club announcement of the same date.

Perhaps it why so many of us wonder why if in only a few weeks from being the " best thing since sliced bread"  JP has become a 5- 10 minute substitute. Which seems par for the course for this manager as it seems to have happened to others who have arrive with his glowing endorsements. In the course of a season, perhaps 3 players may not come up to the managers expectations but the number is well passed that figure. Recent arrivals Mulley and Payne fall in this category and the reason why I enquired if these three were carrying injuries in my earlier post that Tom S got so steamed up about.

Ps  ** TS .....I do read reports when they are written but I am still not telepathic.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

3 hours ago, Barney said:

I'm going to have to disagree here, or at least say something to counter what seems to be a very one sided discussion... I like what I've seen so far of Porter, but I'm not sure we can start suggesting he's the best left back in the league until he's at least played a few more games for us (appreciate he's not doing that at the moment). I remember thinking that Sutton looked a class act when he first joined, but his form and performances tailed off over time.

A number of people were calling for Greene to be in the side on Saturday, which he was - and he's clearly a decent attack minded left wing back (thought that he started well, but was lacking match sharpness, and got caught on the ball a few times as the second half went on).

I guess what I'm saying is that whilst we're all entitled to opinions about who should and shouldn't be playing, I don't think it's as clear a choice as people are making out. It might be that had Porter started in place of Greene we'd have got a better result... or maybe we mightn't have. I can be pretty sure that had he started, there would be people on here deriding Andy for leaving out Greene.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the team performance on Saturday, which I think we can all agree was a long way short of what's required - and the buck clearly stops with the management team for that, but it does strike me that a number of posters on here are very quick to jump on every fault when we lose, but are conversely very slow to praise when we do turn in a decent performance. If I could be bothered, I'd love to pull some stats for the average number of messages per thread for games we've lost vs games we've won... but life's too short, so I'm going to go back to not worrying too much, hoping things work out OK for the club (whoever is in charge of the playing side), and crossing my fingers for some better performances in the games to come.

Feel free to tear the above to shreds, only too happy to be of assistance if it helps you vent ?

Barney.

When Jay Porter signed Andy said he has signed probably the best left back in the league,My gripe is why say that and then not play him.

Good post though Barney?

8 minutes ago, old towner said:

What do we know about James Russell got from Bedford sports 

Goalkeeper,  very experienced.  Signed as cover for the run-in I think 

I haven't posted for some time.

I do think many posters on here are being a little unfair to the manager. We have a chance of a cup which, as has been said, is our first honour for 10 years. As for saying it is a tin pot trophy, that is rubbish. It is the third best cup competition we can enter. I do not think we are going to win the FA Trophy any time soon and the FA Cup will not be in our cabinet in my lifetime so the league cup is the best that is attainable. Far better than the Middlesex Senior or the Middlesex Charity Cup.

To reach the final we have had to win 5 matches. Not draw but win, even on penalties, and if we lift the trophy next week the lads can feel proud as can the club.

As for the manager. I do not think he is the best manager we have ever had but he is in the best 7 we have ever had and I would put him in the top 3 of that number.

I do find his tactics negative and lacking charm but there is a tactic that I can recognise and if Faal had remained fit I think we would have been in the promotion mix. As it is I don't think that he has a good eye for a forward and I don't think that he uses the players in their best positions. I believe that he needs a good coach next to him who might persuade him to be a little more adventurous and I also think that he should try to blood in some younger players. The players we have do not seem to have the speed of the teams that we play against which makes us ponderous in our build up after the first 15 or so minutes.

As it is we win the cup on Wednesday and have a good end of season accumulating 12 points out of the last 15 to finish with a shout of the play-offs if not amongst them then I will be satisfied. It seems to me we are still a work in progress and the manager must be given a chance. I don't see a plethora of managers of equal or better ability lining up to take charge.

I have always respected your views Steph1 and do not intend to change now. Although I still have a couple of queries.

Firstly,  I was under the impression that we received a trophy when gaining promotion. Or am I imagining that we did?  I am sure someone can put me right. Even if I am wrong then gaining promotion to the current league was a great achievement. 

Secondly, from my understanding this manager has been given a much larger budget than any of the previous ones. However it is not necessarily the money that has given rise to the current disillusionment of many supporters. Nor is the quality of players he has acquired but the perception of his inability to gel them into a team.  I said several weeks ago if has the ability to solve this problem we still have an outside chance of scrapping into the play-offs.

As a consequence of the terrible injury to Blackman he will be forced t o make a changes. So let us see happens. This week may be our last chance to make a start especially as Kingstonian are on a run of five consecutive loses. 

I would be untruthful, however, if I said I would be happy for him to carry on. You would be surprised the number of young well qualified managers out there. However, you need someone within who has the knowledge to spot the right one to suit our club.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

totally agree with Steph about the cup ... winning trophies is what we play for... but while sticking up for AL I  thought Steph actually summed up why a large number of supporters want him out 

1) his tactics are negative and lack charm

2) he hasn’t got a good eye for a forward 

3) he dosn’t Use players in their best positions

4) he should blood younger players

5) the build up is ponderous 

Apart from all that he cannot set a team out to act as a unit...eleven players scattered over the pitch with no cohesion... we lose the ball then it’s turn round and run back like  f### ....as I said before I hope he is a man of honour and resigns after the final to give the club a bit of time to plan ....

When we played Chesham in the cup a few seasons back he used the same tactics and they worked then. But Theo is right his tactics are negative and lack charm and he has never seemed to change them. The formation may change but it is still the same old get forward to the last third then bung it over to Britnell. Occasionally you see Britnell out wide as he tries to get involved or loose his marker but when that happens we generally end up with a shot from edge of the area or just outside blocked by the mass of players in defence in front. Britnell is no winger or even an inside forward he is a target man who cannot win the ball in the air so needs a good foil to work off him. As I inferred above Faal was the perfect partner.

As far as winning the play-offs that was an achievement and there may have been a cup attached but it is a cup for second place, would you be satisfied if we lose on Wednesday, after all that would be second place☺️

I am sorry but your analogy suggests that coming second has no merit.  I have to admit as a player that I was never happy when I was on the losing side and I am still never happy when the club I support loses.  However,  I have been to all the Wembley Finals that an Enfield team have been involved in ( including replays)  and even when they lost (came second) I was proud of the clubs achievement.

But having been a spectator for over 50yrs and have formulated an opinion from what I have seen. I now judge managers between those with good or poor player management. As a result I have come to my own opinion that AL lacks the kind of management which this club and supporters need. As I have said a a personal opinion and is open to discussion.

Regarding the game at Cheshum I agree he had a team team for the condition of the ground,with its quite severe slope and undulations. Long forward passes and fast runners. Unfortunately on a flat pitch he has adopted the same style without the fast forward runners. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Interesting to see that Margate's new manager has received the Manager of the Month Award. Installed in Feb followed by 7 wins and  2 Draws. This compares with our 3Ws 2Ds and 4 Ls. What a difference those 4 wins extra wins would have made for us. We would be in a comfortable 3rd place.

Just a thought for those who say that nothing can be gained by changing a manager during the season. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

22 minutes ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

Interesting to see that Margate's new manager has received the Manager of the Month Award. Installed in Feb followed by 7 wins and  2 Draws. This compares with our 3Ws 2Ds and 4 Ls. What a difference those 4 wins extra wins would have made for us. We would be in a comfortable 3rd place.

Just a thought for those who say that nothing can be gained by changing a manager during the season. 

Ole has only won once since he got the Man Ure manager's position. Time for a change?