Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Carshalton Athletic

seemgee

It hasn't been a good season but it hasn't been a bad season as we have won a competition. There are people who do not accept the significance of that result, claiming it is a "Mickey mouse cup". It is a cup entered by 62 teams all of which would have liked to win it and we did!

There are those who consider that the opposition were not up to it but Hornchurch soundly beat us only a few weeks earlier.

Carshalton are a good side led by a type of player who we should have in our forward line, but we do not have such a player. In my view we did have such a player in liam but our manager considered that vision and experience are not qualities that he wants in the side. He prefers the direct approach of Britnell. That approach can work if there are supporting players who can put the ball in the right place for the forward but we do not have that.

So what should the board do?

We have 3 more games against lower league opposition. Like some on here I am seriously considering not going. (Certainly if the weather is warm and I can get the main up this week the I.O.W beckons). We should comfortably win those games and our manager should be looking to trial some of our youngsters or get some players from other clubs to strengthen our midfield and defence. If we do not win all of those games then the manager should be told, "Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish."

If we win those games then the manager should look for some fresher, younger players in the close season and be told that if there is not a good start next season he will be out by end of October.

I understand where you are coming from Steph and I say well done to you and all the supporters who have watched ETFC on a regular basis both home and away. However, AL should be judged on the season as a whole rather than possibly three wins out of three against lower ranked teams.

We all know that something has to change in readiness for next season but I don't think just bringing in youngsters and new blood from other teams will work unless 'someone'  has a plan of how to get all of them working together as a team. A lot of managers can do this but why can't our's?

Steph1,I quite agree with your remark regarding Liam. However, I don't believe that AL or his cohorts believe in having a play maker or two in his set up. From what we have seen his philosophy seems to be much more of a gung-ho approach and very little organisation.

I will be surprised if we will win all three of our last games. Indeed with Potters Bar winning away at Margate and Wynter back to scoring form I think we may be hard pushed to win that one. Also the way we are playing it is to AL's advantage that we only have 3 more games to play. If we still had 7 more games like last year we could have ended up with more losses than the 18 we suffered then. But, as many said, he should not be judge on last year because of the then  prevailing circumstances. The consensus then was that it would be fairer to judge him on the outcome of this season where it was expected to see much more progress.   

I think, from what I read on this Forum and hear from supporters many have now made their judgement.

Finally the suggestion that  discontented members should ask for an EGM of course has his merit but this would only be on one subject. However, a secret postal ballot of members would be preferable as many may be unable to attend an EGM, because of holidays and various other personal reasons. Failing either, the Board will soon be able to judge the general feeling when calling for a renewal of membership, season tickets etc. especially if they decide to remain with the status quo.  

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Steph1,I quite agree with your remark regarding Liam. I don't believe that AL or his cohorts believe in having a play maker or two. From what we have seen his philosophy seems to be much more of a gung-ho approach and very little organisation.

I will be surprised if we will win all three of our last game s. Indeed with Potters Bar winning away at Margate and Wynter back to scoring form I think we may be hard pushed to win this one. Also the way we are playing it is to AL's advantage that we only have 3, more games to play. If we still had 7 more games to play like last year we could have ended up with more losses than the 18 we suffered then. But, as many said, he should not be judge on last year because of the then prevailing circumstances. The consensus then was that it would be fairer to judge him on the outcome on this season where it was expected to see much more progress.  From what I read on this forum and hear at the ground many supporters have already made their judgement on that score.

Finally MB's suggestion that discontented members should ask for an EGM of course has it's merits. However in my mind, a secret postal ballot of members would be preferable as many are unable to attend an EGM, because of holidays and other various personal reasons.  Disregarding either options the Board will soon be able to judge the general feeling when calling for a renewal of membership, season tickets etc. especially if they are seen to remain with the status quo.  

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Are we seriously saying without an EGM the board are clueless to the members feelings... I stand by previous comment about eating my season ticket starkers in the centre circle  if AL is around next season.... it will have to be this years one coz I certainly won’t be renewing it....

4 hours ago, Theodopolous said:

Are we seriously saying without an EGM the board are clueless to the members feelings... I stand by previous comment about eating my season ticket starkers in the centre circle  if AL is around next season.... it will have to be this years one coz I certainly won’t be renewing it....

You'll need a ticket of some kind to get into the centre circle, surely?

6 minutes ago, Theodopolous said:

I’ve got the salt and pepper ready but it won’t be needed... I have absolute faith in our board to do the right thing ....

And we've got plans for the second tunnel just in case they don't see sense. Let's just say it exits into the boardroom and the plan involves the Corolina Reaper chilli rather than salt and pepper and leave the rest to the imagination!