Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

MEMORIES OF AFC HORNCHURCH

Dagger03

With the name change to Hornchurch FC rapidly approaching, what are you best memories of the time when we were known as AFC Hornchurch?

Best match / achievement and why.

Favourite player / personality and why.

Best / worst experience and why.

The period covered is from our Essex Senior League days to the current season - Arlesley can also be included, as it was arguably the start of AFC Hornchurch.

Plenty of scope here, and as many as possible will be included in our forthcoming History.

Best match - Weymouth away , atmosphere was electric and you couldn’t have made up the game 

best achievement- Jimmy getting us promoted to the conference south , just how did he manage that? Shame a few bad apples let him down the next season

favourite player - Simon ‘Jesus’ Parker. Didn’t have an auspicious start but what a player he turned into. Andy Thomlinson a close second.

Favourite Personality - Dave Collis , lager than life character (not a spelling mistake!)

best experience - getting promoted back to the Ryman Prem at Witham, again the atmosphere in the clubhouse was superb

Worst experience - Lowestoft away in the playoffs , don’t know if it was a good game or not as we (Hornchurch) couldn’t get to see the second half. Ground clearly beyond capacity and no noticable stewarding. Lost anyway. Kingstonian away up there as well, awful home fans and loads of security just not lifting a finger to protect the away fans 

Without a doubt the ESL season was my fav. On our travels we used to out number home fans at least 2/1. The Burnham Beano springs to mind as one of my faves. I think it was the Gordon Brasted final but I may be wrong. Like COT mentions the Weymouth game was something else too...someone naughty let of a smoke grenade in the celebrations too! Also remember in the Connie south season against Ebbsfleet...I believe it was the last game where we had all out superstars at the time. Grimsby away is up there too although not the result we wanted. We have been blessed with many greats over the years Steve Jones scored for fun as did Krissy Lee, Vinny John, Danny Heale, Billy Holland, Jonny Keeling the list is endless. The Lowestoft game was one of the worst experiences 3 hour coach journey, fights with the locals and no where to see the match..fun times!

Picture taken Vs Ilford? away...believe it was Elliot Styles debut..and he was shocking, didn't think we'd see him play again. Guess I was wrong...

Screenshot_20190518_171625.jpg

Thank Simon, thanks Kimble - If I get enough 'memories' I will include them in the Supporters Section of the History which is almost ready to publish. I would like a few more as there is not yet enough to fill a couple of pages, or more. 

Ann, Pete, David, Jordan, Jago, Andy, and anyone else's memories are more than welcome.

Kimble - can you let me know your name please, as I don't want to put nom-de-plumes in the History unless I have to.

So best / worst moments, players, it's basically your memories of AFC Hornchurch, from the ESL to the current season.

Out History is not just about what we achieved on the field, it is about the supporters as well. So let's have some more contributions please.

Best Game - Weymouth away in the FA Cup was by far the best game for me with Simon Parker scoring that late winner. Winning the Essex senior cup against Great Wakering at Roots Hall is also worth a mention.

Best achievement - The treble winning season. Was a great way to bounce back after the disappointment of being relegated all the way to the Essex Senior League.

Favourite player - Jonathan Hunt purely for his passing ability. Always a pleasure to watch.

Favourite personality - Not a player, but one of our supporters Harry Martin who sadly passed away in 2007. He always had a smile on his face, and simply loved the club.

Best Moments - Finally beating Lowestoft in the playoff final to earn promotion to the Conference South.

Worst Moments - Being relegated from the Conference South after just one season.

Best match - Home play off final against Lowerstoft as a new supporter of a handfull of games at the time it really was an electric atmosphere that day and a fantastic achievement by the club to be promoted to the Conference South.

Best Achievement - the team Winning the League last season a well deserved effort by all the lads and it was a pleasure to be a steward supporting them along the way.

Favorite Players - I have 3 which have been part of my Urchin journey George Purcell, Alex Bentley and Sam Mott all fantastic players and exceptional professionals who have been a pleasure to watch in my 6 seasons so far.

Best Personality - Dave Collis always played up to the fans with his Larger than life ( thanks cup of tea) character made the Pub Team From Essex a joy to be supporting.

Best Experience - The day the team claimed the title at Witham last season - a great result that day by the players and then followed the emotional scenes seeing them find Jimmy in the stands after shaking our hands.  Also the bar after the game we had a few drinks with the players and it was a very special moment to remember.

Worst moments - losing both play off finals - Lowerstoft away couldn't see the game as ground was full with no space for us to stand - Harlow away was just a bad day for the lads made worse with the attitude of the Harlow fans and staff that day especially the ones who were allowed to throw bottles and attack the dug out just because we scored a penalty Where are all the fans now they have been relegated?

I only have a few seasons under my belt, so feel a bit of a fraud. But for more recent events:

Best match: AFC Hornchurch 5 - 4 Waltham Abbey.  Great, late, comeback win with some stonking goals from both sides, topped off by George's "celebration" to the bench.

Best achievement: Winning the Bostick North.  Sealing things with a thumping win away at Whitham and seeing the players celebrate with Jimmy in the stands and the party in the clubhouse after.

Favourite player:  For conistancy and adapaptability, Alex Bentley.

Favourite personality. Jimmy McFarlane.  Always had time to say hello.  Came up to me and introduced himself on the coach to Norwich Utd (as if he needed to). Massive respect for how he has battled against illness.

Best experience: Hereford away in the Cup.  Out singing the couple of thousand there; battling performance; beer (lots), kamikazee coach drivers.  All in all a fantastic day out:

Worst experience:  Losing to Thurrock in the play-off semi finals.  Totally outplayed on the night.  Whatever happened to them?

So many good memories and games. My favourites were beating Lowestoft in the playoff final to get back into the Connie South, and so nearly taking a very strong Peterborough side to draw in the F.A. Cup, and of course the Weymouth Cup Game.

Fav player for me has to go to Elliot Styles, he was loyal to the club, always gave his all and often had a blood stained bandage around his head to prove it.

Worse moment has to be hearing that Jimmy Mac had an unexpected sudden illness. I hope you are making good progress Jimmy.

• 1 month later...

Archived