Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Any news?

14 hours ago, Theodopolous said:

I liked Ryan as a player ... yes he was caught out of position many times but so were most of the team.... what we so need is an organiser on the pitch ... someone who can see the problems before they happen... I would give the armband to  Weatherstone ... he would be in the best position to read the game and hopefully wouldn’t be too shy in telling Leese where it’s going wrong....

A captain is more than just what happens on the pitch and Ryan does a lot behind the scenes with the squad.

Accepting that I am clearly out voted I will rest my case. Repeating  a statement constantly made over the past two years "let's see what happens in the next few months". As Thoe inferred, in an earlier post, the squad seems more than adequate to hold it's own so long as they are organised. 

In answer to the "Observer" fortunately the beauty of this forum is that many subscribers hold different views but all have one thing in common the welfare of the club. That is why, with others, I accept the majority view and being upset is to childish to contemplate.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

A quote from our Kit Man

Ryan a great captain for this club. represents this club well on and of the pitch and is honoured and proud to be captain of this club and to play for it shame a lot more players ain't like him .

1 hour ago, MbrunoB said:

A captain is more than just what happens on the pitch and Ryan does a lot behind the scenes with the squad.

I’ve got no problems at all with Ryan’s contribution it’s just that when your a competitive midfielder you sometimes don’t see the problems behind you which I think most people on here would agree was one of our biggest problems... you can’t have wingbacks without some plan of what happens if you lose possession... other teams worked us out letting us have lots of possession then breaking into the gaps.... if the manager can’t see it then we need an experienced captain who can see problems things before they happen.... I’m free on a Tuesday night if the manager needs help identifying where things go wrong....

Just because Marc hasn't got the armband it doesn't mean he doesn't  organise at the back.

Whilst I don't agree with most of the abject doom and gloom, I do agree with the above - at times last season we were all over the place, and really lacked cohesion and defensive shape. How much of this was down to the players and, how much was down to the management's system and ability to communicate this effectively is open to debate (although I agree that in either case, the buck stops with the management). I also think that injuries to key players and unavailability at times didn't help us at all (again, arguably up to the management to have built a squad with enough cover - although this clearly costs money).

I do think we looked a better site when Wetherstone came in, and would hope that a pre season under his belt, and knowing the rest of the squad a bit better will only help him improve our organisation. The signings (and re-signings) so far all look decent from what I know, and what I've heard/read, and once again we look to have the nucleus of a good side. That said, I was saying the same thing at this time last season and despite some excellent performances and lots of promise, the season tailed off into inconsistency and a pretty disappointing mid table finish (cup win excepted, which was great).

For me, the jury is still out on the management - I really want them to do well, especially given how they started from zero 2 seasons ago, put together a squad which kept us in the division and then in my view built on that last year. It's been stated that they're here with a long term plan, and if that means we get to where we want to be slowly and sustainably, then that's fine by me - they're clearly trying to improve us, bring in good players and be in contention at the end of the season. Yes I'd love for us to be playing attractive passing football from 1 to 11, bringing every youth player of promise into the first team, and winning games - but realistically this isn't going to happen all of the time, and certainly not at this level with a club of our budget.

I will say that I think the management team (and the board, volunteers etc) get an unnecessarily rough time on here, it's very easy to be critical anonymously on an internet forum when things aren't going as well as we'd like, but I truly believe that everyone involved in the running of the club have our best interests at heart, and want to continue to grow and develop the club organically as a whole (not just the 1st team). I think people need to keep in perspective that we wouldn't have a club at all without the endless hours of their own time given up by volunteers from the board downwards - I know I only just about have enough spare time to get to some matches and post a bit on here, nevermind being able to volunteer to do anything, so I try to temper my frustration at performances and results accordingly.

Very good post Barney .. and I do feel some more optimism having seen the squad update .. just need Mo to sign ..!

Re Ryan Blackman, personally think he is a great captain to have at the club. He always comes over to thank the fans at the end of away games regardless of the result/performance, seems to care as much as us fans do! And in the forgettable 17-18 season he had TWO opportunities to move to a higher level but stayed loyal to us!

Only 8 days til the first game!

I too appreciate what Barney has said and agree with practically all of his detailed appraisal. Especially his thoughts on those who give some much of their valuable time as volunteers for our benefit.

However, just a minute point, so far as this forum is concerned I regard it as a debating outlet between interested supporters where different views are aired. To the best of my knowledge it is totally anonymous as I believe each subscriber has given his e-mail address and we have a sensible arbiter in Father Jack who admonishes any  post considered out of order.  

We are now near the beginning of the new season so lets hope it's an enjoyable one for all of us. Players and supporters a like.

It’s the nature of football supporters to have strong opinions and just because we are non league does not mean we shouldn’t voice our thoughts..... we certainly have both ends of the spectrum on this forum.... those like myself who is not happy with the playing side... those who think the manager is doing a good job and those who swing both ways ?..... but overall apart from a bit of sarcasm it’s very civil and nothing to take offence with... 

nice post Barney well thought out and as 4WF said its time now to get behind the team .....