Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Horsham

seemgee

First game I have witnessed this season and I must say it seems we have not moved on from last judging by this performance,I do realise we had some players missing but the midfield looked somewhat disjointed and in my opinion only two players muleba and Thomas came out of this game with any credit, after the first half showing I thought we were never going to score but we came out in the second half looking a different team and scored a really well worked goal from then on you could see us going on to win the game unfortunately our defence had other ideas and completely crumbled, to sum up Horsham are not a particularly good team and will probably finish mid table at best but were the better of two poor teams

Like Cman an Rebel this too was my first match of the season and after the write ups of the first two games I was expecting something a little bit better than what I got. But as I have previously said I will withhold versing a judgement until we have played at least 10 games.  But I must can't help making a few observations.

It was obvious that there were several absentees from the first two games. But I was surprised to see what we had to replace them. From this it is quite apparent that we are short of central defenders. I must admit I was quite surprised to see Hatton was on the bench, when his mobility and passing is far superior to that of Rumens.

However, to day the real problem was not that we played a much better side ,man to man, but that they were a more mobile organised squad who played to there strengths. NO one held on to the ball or attempted to beat three players at a time , like Youngs, which nullified our pacy front line. Instead they moved the ball on quickly Also they invariably won the second ball, although sometimes rather cynically. But the underlying factor, and something which we have always lacked with this management, they were Organisation.  Once again we showed a complete disconnect between defence and attack.

One hopes that the playing management management will be able to address this once that have more players available. We will have to wait and see but it will have to be soon.

Having driven a 200-mile round journey from West Sussex, to support the Town yesterday, I must say that I, like  the rest of our supporters , felt badly let-down by our lacklustre performance, particularly in the second half, against newly promoted Horsham. After our impressive 5-0 demolition of BS earlier in the week, think most people expected us to get something from this match, and were not prepared for the well deserved 1-4 drubbing by our visitors. It might have been different had we put away our chances. We didn't, they did, and over 90-minutes one has to say they looked the better side on the day. Much too early to write off our chances for this season, but this was definitely a bad day at the office. We need to address the problem areas and bounce back quickly, which I am sure we will, once the absentees' return and we are able to field a full strength side again, hopefully in the immediate future.

It was frustrating Steph. But I was hoping to see some improvement on previous years. Unfortunately McDonald still shows signs that he is not sure when to come of his line. Hence their first goal which would have been much less threat had he stayed further back. However, he cannot be blamed for what followed. Weatherstone tried hard to organise his defence. In the first half this appeared to work. But certain people appeared to go missing once we again went behind. Some thing that has to be addressed sooner than later and only the playing management have control over this.

The cry is get behind the team, I say to some of the players get behind your captain!!!

To be fair Horsham went 2-1 up totally against the run of play.Up until then we had totally dominated for the previous 20 minutes.And had one of our numerous chances gone in to give US the 2-1 lead i felt confident we would have gone on to win the game.Unfortunately we got totally exposed on nearly every  occasion Horsham counter attacked us.

We need Mo fit and firing to partner Billy up top.We also need to replace half the defence.And the central midfield didn't seem to work either.

Can see another season of the odd excellent performance followed by a bad one.Resulting in a finishing place of about  8-11 place again this season.Which will not be good enough

I agree with you OT regarding using Ken's pace. But I have already made it clear regarding yesterday where the major fault lay. You cannot continually dribble around and around in midfield for no purpose whilst your front line is making their runs. I know that might seem blasphemous to some regarding the player concerned, but it was one thing that helped towards our down fall. 

My favourite football remark was made by Brian Clough, when it was reported that he said to Robertson during an European Cup game " Son!! if I wanted an individual ball juggle I would hired one from a circus, now go out there and play simple football with the rest of the team the way I have taught you"

22 hours ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

22 hours ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

Ps. How do I get rid of unnecessary quotes.

10 minutes ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

I agree with you OT regarding using Ken's pace. But I already have already made was clear where the main fault lay. You cannot continually dribble around and around in midfield for no purpose whilst your front line is making their runs.

Yes agree with you 4wf,it was a shame Taafe did not play (tight hs in warm up) he was superb on Tues,linked up particularly well with Muleba.

Our other main problem imo is our center backs lack of pace,as a result holding a far to deep line.

Why Hatton was not used baffles me ?

72W,  as I have said before Hatton's no show was a complete mystery to me too. Whetherstone's lack of mobility can be hidden by his experience and awareness. But you cannot play another centre back beside him with the similar lack of mobility, and much less skill. That is why I query the choice of Rumens  over Hatton, or another, whilst the new C/back is injured.  It seems that the management see something which we are missing. Or is it because deep down AL still desires someone who sticks to his long boot the ball ethos.  

Archived