Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Monday 26 August - Stotfold v Winslow United

It may have escaped everyone's notice that there is an SSML fixture today in Division One, I wonder what the thinking behind that is so soon after Stotfold's defeat to Canvey Island in the FA Cup on Saturday and Winslow United's embarrassing mauling at the hands of New Salamis, I'm sure both Club's would have much preferred a day off today to spend the bank holiday with their families:

SSML Division 1

Stotfold v Winslow United (3.00pm)

Not that I have to explain anything to you Mr Rhodes but the fact is after submitting their Ground Availability Form prior to the fixtures being done Stotfold (who having requested no home games from mid November to end November due to ground move) came back after fixtures were done to say they wanted no home games in November at all.

Having given them two home games these had to be moved and given the distance for Winslow United to travel it would be unfair to re-arrange for midweek so Bank Holiday it was (although Winslow United could have asked for midweek if they wanted it rather than the Bank Holiday).

54 minutes ago, Karen Browne said:

Not that I have to explain anything to you Mr Rhodes

That's not very friendly is it, what have I done to upset you. Thanks anyway for that thorough explanation, I'm sure that Stotfold and Winslow United were over the moon when you informed them they would be playing today and especially when they heard the weather forecast which would have then been too late for Winslow to change their mind

2 defeats in a row, player sent off.

Winslow have a very good team but deep down I feel there may be too many big characters to cope with in this relentless league.

I’m sure it’s just a glitch and George Tomlin will turn it around like at the start of the season. George looks like a good lad and hope he is successful there.

Karen let the side down not posting the result from this afternoon's action at Roker Park as I was at Wingate & Finchley v Haringey Borough:

SSML Division 1

Stotfold 3 Winslow United 0

https://twitter.com/stotfoldfc?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

https://twitter.com/stotfoldfc?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

2 hours ago, Dailydose said:

Winslow have a very good team but deep down I feel there may be too many big characters to cope with in this relentless league.

I’m sure it’s just a glitch and George Tomlin will turn it around like at the start of the season. George looks like a good lad and hope he is successful there.

He’ll be alright, tough spell including the FA Cup where for whatever reason things haven’t gone right. Will come good. 

Winslow Boy - Lets face it, Winslow United don't appear to have what it takes this term do they and you surely won't come anywhere near last season's achievements, okay you started like a house on fire against Langford and Milton Keynes Robins however since then, apart from the win at Broxbourne, you have lost tamely at New Salamis and Stotfold this weekend and exited the FA Cup in disappointing fashion at Elmfields Gate.

We’ll see. Started worse last year, and had a very disappointing FA Cup result too. I’ve yet to watch them so it’s not for me to be making wild predictions one way or the other. Let’s see how things lie come Christmas. I’d be surprised if we aren’t in the mix, perhaps not for top spot, but who knows. 

3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Started worse last year, and had a very disappointing FA Cup result too. 

Yes, wasn't that against Easington Sports after a replay having thrown the game away at Elmfields Gate. Anyway good luck in the FA Vase on Saturday against Rushden & Higham United, you always get home draws don't you

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

Yes, wasn't that against Easington Sports after a replay having thrown the game away at Elmfields Gate. Anyway good luck in the FA Vase on Saturday against Rushden & Higham United, you always get home draws don't you

Yes we really did throw it away. As a club we are historically guilty of that all too often. Yes we have been fortunate with home draws in the vase, seems we have drawn Rushden often too. Thanks for your best wishes. Fingers crossed. 

On 26/08/2019 at 17:23, Dailydose said:

2 sent off vs Salamis too. For some reason when Perry was in charge, there was a bone of contention between the committee (or a couple of members of the committee) and him about the disciplinary record. Most of us and Perry felt this was unfair, I still bothers him and actually the record since him has if anything been worse. Perry got a rough ride from a lot of people, I have a lot of time for him as a bloke and a manager, he gave a lot, turned things around and produced a couple of really good sides. 

Winslow Boy - Are you talking about Perry Mercer, didn't he and Terry Shrieves leave Elmfields Gate in July 2014 just before the new campaign got under way, what was the reason for that

They did, Perry has a very successful business and it was really taking off and I think he felt he didn’t have the time or the energy for another season, and he hasn’t returned to management since so that bears that reasoning out and his business has gone from strength to strength, rubbing shoulders with the great and the good these days. Both really good guys. Terry is a non league legend, hell of a player and has had some great success as a manager especially at Newport Pagnell. I expect him over the next few seasons to do very well at MK Robins. 

On 26/08/2019 at 18:34, Rhodes said:

SSML Division 1

Stotfold 3 Winslow United 0

A report on the proceedings from Roker Park on bank holiday Monday:

http://sportsshots.org.uk/?p=46410

Archived