Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

George Georgiou Departs New Salamis

42 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Okay, I will contact Clement but I wonder whether New Salamis have not considered Kenny Dyer who I believe is also between jobs at the moment, the Club will know him well from when he played professionally for Nea Salamina Famagusta and Ethnikos Achna in Cyprus and he has also played and coached in the KOPA League.

Kenny Dyer is not a bad shout.

Watch this space!!!

12 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Furthermore I have learned today that Allan Fenn is available, that could be another possible candidate:

FISHER manager Allan Fenn has stepped down after only 11 games in charge of the club. 

Was he not Tom Loizou's predecessor at Haringey Brough?

Haringey Borough had a number of manager's in a short space of time and Allan was one of them, others included Julian Hudson, Ged Searson, Kenny Dyer and Mario Marinica, Clement was Ged's trusted assistant at Coles Park for a short period of time before being persuaded to join Kentish Town as manager and the rest is history 

8 hours ago, Rhodes said:

If New Salamis were interested I could certainly ask the so called 'Great One' if he wanted to join them with immediate effect as he is between jobs at the moment, they could certainly do a lot worse and it would obviously raise the Club's profile beyond all recognition as you will recall it did when he was with Kentish Town. This link is somewhat tongue in cheek but gives an indication of Clement's Worldwide profile:

http://www.vipfaq.com/Clement Temile.html

Maybe also have a word with Lee Scott, Hector Valera and Frank Zanre. See if they will all come out of retirement? 

Back to the topic of this thread, namely George Georgiou, and it was with sadness and amazement that I read this newspaper article on the 'reasons' why the great man was unceremoniously dismissed from the Club just over a week today, it seems very unreasonable doesn't it taking into account New Salamis's progress and success under George:

72552167_2572974799445407_6246168254218240000_n.jpg

I have it on good authority that Andrew Kouroushi has been appointed as the new Manager of New Salamis in time for Saturday's FA Vase encounter with Eynesbury Rovers. Andrew was Assistant Manager of the Club and very close to George when he was unceremoniously dismissed but, surprisingly, did not follow him out of the door in protest and was offered caretaker charge of the team until a successor could be found, more will be revealed and watch this space for further information. So far George's sad departure doesn't appear to have affected results too much however players morale at the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium must have dipped considerably as the great man was so highly regarded following the success and progress he brought to the Club and his commitment over an eleven year period was second to none.

Edited by Rhodes

• 7 months later...

Going back to September of last year and I am just wondering whether this was arguably the ultimate shock of the 2019/20 campaign, far more so than the Coronavirus and Old Bradwell United beating Colney Heath in the Challenge Trophy for example. How could George possibly have been so unceremoniously shown the door at the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium by ungrateful Chairman Michael Michalakis so soon after finishing runners up in the Hertfordshire Senior League last season, as well as winning the Hertfordshire Senior League Aubrey Cup, and gaining promotion to the promised land of the SSML as a Step 6 Club for the first time. Prior to that the great man had won four KOPA League Championships in a row, numerous cup competitions and, in 2016 at Selhurst Park, won the prestigious FA Sunday Cup (pictured), beating AFC Barnes on penalties, a competition founded in 1964 for English League Sunday teams which New Salamis were at that time, playing in the KOPA League. The remarkable trophy was presented to the FA by the Shah of Iran to mark the Centenary of the FA in 1963 and was meticulously crafted by Iranian silversmiths, the best in the World, to the Shah's vase like specification which stands two feet high on an exotic timber made plinth. My point is that is what George brought to the Club he loves and after the final in floods of tears, on the hallowed Selhurst Park turf, said “for this team, the whole family of Salamina, as you can see today with the supporters, is a driving force to win this prestigious competition, for me this is the greatest achievement of all time for the club. Hopefully we can push it forward because of the publicity, there are kids that are interested and want to play and we will strive to be as good as what we have achieved”. Greavsie once said 'it's a funny old game' and he was spot on.

Billede

Edited by Rhodes

Over eighty photographs from one of New Salamis's routine victories under George Georgiou during the 2015/2016 campaign in the KOPA League and a 4-0 victory over Omonia (London) played at Theobalds Lane on 10 April 2016, the week before they lifted the FA Sunday Cup at Selhurst Park on 17 April 2016. New Salamis went on to retain the KOPA League Division One Championship that season and win the next two for good measure before joining the Hertfordshire Senior County League last season and finishing runners up, enabling them to gain promotion to the SSML, as well as lifting the prestigious Hertfordshire Senior League Aubrey Cup. All this under George Georgiou who was then unceremoniously, and incredibly, relieved of his duties by Chairman Michael Michalakis just over seven weeks into this season: 

New Salamis FC 4-0 Omonia (London) FC (10-4-16)

4 hours ago, Rhodes said:

as well as lifting the prestigious Hertfordshire Senior League Aubrey Cup

YouTube action and match reports from when New Salamis proudly lifted the prestigious Hertfordshire Senior League Aubrey Cup on 6 May 2019 beating Oxhey Jets Reserves 2-1, with goals from Leon McKenzie and Richard Georgiou, in an exciting Final played at Colney Heath FC and it was yet another trophy George Georgiou brought to the Club he loves. This time however George managed to somehow surpass all of his previous achievements put together, including winning the FA Sunday Cup in 2016, as the Aubrey Cup is thought to be the oldest football trophy in the World dating back to roughly 1860, as well as the heaviest weighing 43lbs, almost as soon as Club Captain Ryan Herval lifted it above his head it was wrestled out of his grasp by an Official and taken back to the North Hertfordshire Museum in Hitchin where it is kept permanently under strict lock and key. The trophy was donated to the Hertfordshire FA by George Arthur Dunn in 1934, not long before he sadly died in 1939, Mr Dunn was a Quaker and wealthy hat manufacturer who founded Dunn & Co and moved his family to the village of Redbourn, near Harpenden, in 1905 where the Aubreys are located, he commissioned the building of the hugely imposing house in the 1920's, in a mock Tudor style, which is now the luxurious Aubrey Park Hotel:

http://thecoldend.blogspot.com/2019/05/a-famous-day-for-new-salamis-as-they.html?m=1

https://www.oxheyjets.com/portfolio-item/new-salamis-2-jets-reserves-1/

https://www.newsalamisfcuk.com/teams/203125/match-centre/0-4528507/report

What league were New Salamis FC in during the 2018/19 season?

George Georgiou organised a pre season friendly at the start of the 2015/16 campaign between Potters Bar Town and New Salamis at Parkfield on 13 August 2015 however the three tier difference at that time told with Potters Bar Town running out 6-1 winners, I wonder what the score would have been had the game been played at the start of this season:

Potters Bar Town FC 6-1 New Salamis FC (13-8-15)

1 hour ago, Savagebee said:

What league were New Salamis FC in during the 2018/19 season?

The Hertfordshire Senior County League Premier Division, this was the finishing positions with New Salamis being promoted to the SSML as Letchworth Garden City Eagles ground didn't meet with Step 6 approval:

1 Letchworth Garden City Eagles                                    
2 New Salamis                                    
3 Bushey Sports                                    
4 Ware Sports                                    
5 Chipperfield Corinthians                                    
6 Cuffley                                    
7 Sandridge Rovers                                    
8 Colney Heath Development                                    
9 Belstone                                    
10 Bedmond Sports                                    
11 Knebworth                                    
12 Weston                                    
13 Broadfields                                    
14 Evergreen                                    

Edited by Rhodes

10 hours ago, Rhodes said:

The Hertfordshire Senior County League Premier Division, this was the finishing positions with New Salamis being promoted to the SSML as Letchworth Garden City Eagles ground didn't meet with Step 6 approval:

Wow New Salamis FC did well to get Leon Mckenzie to play at Step 7 level they must have been bunging him some serious money to get him to drop down to that level ?

8 goals in 7 games for Mr Mckenzie I wonder if he was on a goal bonus ?

Savagebee - Well that says it all about George Georgiou doesn't it to be able to entice a player like Leon McKenzie to the Club, that's what was so great about George as he could literally charm the birds from the trees and I bet Leon was playing for nothing as he was about 34 at that time and in the twilight of his illustrious career. He had been at AFC Hornchurch, East Thurrock United, Maldon & Tiptree, Corby Town, Bromley, Kettering Town, Boreham Wood, Thurrock, Bishop's Stortford, Grays Athletic and Waltham Forest previously, always finding the net, and I gather is currently with Waltham Abbey, he is still as fit as a flea.

Leon McKenzie Image

Here we go folks, a wonderful photo of the great man and a match report from New Salamis's 4-0 Aubrey Cup Quarter Final win over Ware Sports who didn't really know what day it was at the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium on 6 April 2019, Richard Georgiou, Ryan Hervel, Leon Mckenzie and Kyri Portou netted to send them through to a Semi Final with Belstone who must have been quaking in their boots at the prospect and with good reason as they lost 6-1:

http://www.parikiaki.com/2019/04/new-salamis-through-to-semi-final/

3 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - Well that says it all about George Georgiou doesn't it to be able to entice a player like Leon McKenzie to the Club, that's what was so great about George as he could literally charm the birds from the trees and I bet Leon was playing for nothing as he was about 34 at that time and in the twilight of his illustrious career. He had been at AFC Hornchurch, East Thurrock United, Maldon & Tiptree, Corby Town, Bromley, Kettering Town, Boreham Wood, Thurrock, Bishop's Stortford, Grays Athletic and Waltham Forest previously, always finding the net, and I gather is currently with Waltham Abbey, he is still as fit as a flea.

Leon McKenzie Image

15 goals in 30 games for Waltham Abbey FC last season.

17 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I wonder if the great man will grace a hallowed turf anywhere else soon?

George Georgiou you mean, I'm pretty sure he is just biding his time waiting for the right opportunity to come along, it would be interesting if he came up against New Salamis sometime in the future wouldn't it. George could have gone all the way in the game as a player and were you aware he played five times for Fulham during the 1991/92 season having started his career at Wembley and going on to play for Enfield, Dagenham & Redbridge, Purfleet, Leyton, Cheshunt and Haringey Borough, whilst at Purfleet he netted this effortless hat trick at Aylesbury United in front of a spellbound 457 at Buckingham Road:  

Friday 12th November 1999 - Ryman League Premier Division - Aylesbury United 0 Purfleet 3

After a good 2-1 victory away at Slough six days earlier, United's defensive faults quickly returned for this Friday night encounter (to avoid clashing with Scotland v England) and the visitors could easily have won by a greater margin.

Player/Manager Gary Phillips retained the same starting line-up as for Slough but his side were unable to produce the goods two games in a row. A 25-yard Allan Pluckrose free kick which curled just over after 27 minutes was all that United had to show for a lacklustre opening half.

Purfleet had already gone close twice, then on 30 minutes George Georgiou headed past Phillips from close range to break the deadlock. Just before the interval Phillips pulled off a superb point blank save from another Georgiou header and United were rather fortunate to be only one goal down at the break.

Aylesbury did improve in the second half and, on 47 minutes, Steve Heard made a good run but his angled drive went just wide. On 55 minutes Neil Selby twisted and turned past two defenders, only to see his shot deflect for a corner. United kept up the pressure and on 66 minutes Phil Mason curled in a cross from the left, Selby 'ducked' out of the way and Howard did well to clear off the goal-line.

Mason was again in the action on 74 minutes with a 20-yard volley which dipped just over the bar, but two minutes later on the counter attack, Georgiou raced through unchallenged and slotted past Phillips to put the visitors 2-0 ahead. United were unable to respond and never troubled keeper Mead.

Infact Mead didn't have one save to make all evening. Three minutes from time Georgiou beat United's offside trap and advanced alone before burying the ball past Phillips to complete his hat-trick.

After this game, their sixteenth in the league, United had already surpassed their goals conceded record of 38 goals from 42 league matches the previous season.

That was a good Aylesbury side too. Phil Mason was a youth and reserve at Newcastle, pretty sure Jefferson Louis and Roni Joe we’re in that side, Cliff Hercules a true non league legend as manager, still making appearances on the way to his record breaking goal tally. 

12 hours ago, Rhodes said:

George Georgiou you mean, I'm pretty sure he is just biding his time waiting for the right opportunity to come along, it would be interesting if he came up against New Salamis sometime in the future wouldn't it. George could have gone all the way in the game as a player and were you aware he played five times for Fulham during the 1991/92 season having started his career at Wembley and going on to play for Enfield, Dagenham & Redbridge, Purfleet, Leyton, Cheshunt and Haringey Borough, whilst at Purfleet he netted this effortless hat trick at Aylesbury United in front of a spellbound 457 at Buckingham Road:  

I didn't know he played for Fulham FC.

I watched Fulham FC play at home a few times that season I used to love watching games from there massive home terrace behind the goal. They were in the old Division 3 that season and lucky if they got more than 3,000 people at a home game.

How times change eh!

Savagebee - Yes, as you can see from this link, George is bracketed with all the great Fulham strikers of yesteryear such as Johnny Haynes, Dimitar Berbatov, Jimmy Hill, Gordon Davies, Rodney Marsh and John Mitchell to name a few, that says it all really doesn't it, he was only 19 when he arrived at Craven Cottage in June 1991, having been talent spotted at Wembley, and was very popular in his short time with the Club: 

http://www.ashwaterpress.co.uk/fulhamstrikersdetails.html