Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Hornchurch

seemgee

I thought Hornchurch were the better side - and just stronger physically. I wouldn't necessarily say that they were dirty, but certainly committed in the tackle, and on another day a couple of challenges could've seen red. Nevertheless, it was effective. Hornchurch won most headers in the 2nd half and largely controlled the game after the break. As we know they have spent money, and I expect them to be in the top 2 come the end of the season.

Town are probably 2 or 3 players short of realistically challenging for the title - central defence and central midfield.

I have formed the opinion that Blackman is the key to our tactics. When he gets forward his distribution and effectiveness is apparent. However, when he gets too far back the forwards lack the cutting edge and we lose the "outball". Yesterday, especially in the second half, we were like rabbits in the headlights, unable to develop attacks for long periods.

12 hours ago, Wildlife rescue said:

Thought they were one of the dirtiest teams I have seen for a long time 

They got away with murder and the ref gave us no protection what so ever.

Agree with your first point.

Thought the Cheshunt ref was worse?

Just a scrappy game with neither side being able to dominate.

I'll take a point!

Some interesting comments posted on last nights match against big-spending, league favourites, Hornchurch. It was a match neither side could afford to lose, so a draw was always the likely result, and the outcome doesn't seriously damage either Clubs ambitions, this early in the season. I wasn't at the game, but what I do find a bit strange and disappointing, is that we scored all three goals in the Cheshunt match last Saturday, and both goals last night. We have taken 4-points from those two matches, and our impressive seven-match unbeaten league run continues. That said, think we could do without conceding anymore 'own goals' in consecutive matches, whatever the circumstances!

Look forward to seeing everyone at Bishops Stortford on Saturday. Let's have plenty of noisy Town support for our guys in this cup-tie. COYT !!

Well,well LH, I have to admit it , I agree entirely with your comments. I too am concerned with the own goals conceded in the past two games. As I said after Saturdays game the defence could still do with a bit more fine tuning with another central defender and a midfield play maker. But I still think a point is better than nothing.

I too was looking forward to going next Saturday but unfortunately a prior dinner engagement, made a while ago, has had it's start brought forward an hour, so I can't be in two places at once.

I sincerely hope that we progress as every little extra revenue would be welcome.

Can't comment on last nights OG, as I wasn't there, but Saturday's was quite unfortunate, and definitely not a case of too many bodies - we'd defended pretty well the whole game, and played an offside trap early in the second half which Cheshunt sprung (hard to tell whether it was a poor decision from the assistant or not). From that point onwards we were backpedaling and a bit exposed as we had to get bodies back from the halfway line. When the Cheshunt wide player put the ball into the box, Wilson might have called as he looked in a better position to head the ball, but Weatherstone stretched to head it behind, and only ended up deflecting it past McDonald.

I'm not concerned about us conceding own goals per-se, these things tend to happen in clusters, but we do need to keep working hard defending as a unit - if we make the right decisions and are well organised we aren't going to find ourselves in positions where we're stretched and prone to mistakes / own goals. For me, the two centre backs are both decent at this level - bags of experience, both appear to be organisers, and both are reasonably comfortable on the ball in that they can pick a pass to a midfielder / move it on to the full backs but still know when to clear their lines.

I'd have taken a point last night, even though we were supposedly below par (although hard to know whether we were below par because Hornchurch didn't let us play, or whether we had an off day).

7 minutes ago, andyetfc said:

Guys. I don't think we meant to score the own goals. It just happens. I believe a Sunderland player scored three own goals once in one match!

Andy, not a criticism, just an observation, but a shame that in the end it cost us 2-points. But that's life, and I definitely don't blame the player. Think Steph is absolutely right, even though the match report says our guy unfortunately headed into his own net. There you go, we move on.

I was at both games and had a good view of both own goals, were very unlucky both times the ball was hit in at pace from the right wing,and rebounded in after hitting our player.Wethers was off his body, Muleba off his head

Last night's game I felt we had the better of the first 30 mins,and unlucky to go in level.Second half Hornchurch upped there game,did not give us space in midfield so we resorted more to playing long balls which played into there hands,was very impressed with there right winger lost count of the times he put in great crosses from the by line.

Our players did well to withstand the onslaught in the 2nd half,Nathan well deserved mom.

Great to see BB back playing again.

COYT

We would have lost that game last season. Admittedly we were lucky not to lose it this season, but we didn't and so that must be progress.

I agree with 72WF's take on the own goals. Mark and Jon both had to try and get something on crosses which were fizzed in. Nine times out of ten the ball would've gone safe, so I'm not sure there's anything more that can be done - other than stopping the crosses in the first place!

Archived