Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Bishop's Stortford v TOWN - FA Trophy 1st Qualifying Round

Tally Ho

How are players expected to know which laws of the game they are meant to follow. Last week against Hornchirch no quarter was given. Crunching tackles went flying in but free kicks were few. Yesterday the slightest contact was penalised. Two foul throws were awarded once when the ball went flying out of the ground at well over head height but the ref knew the exact inch where it crossed the line. The other foul throw was correct as the ball was not thrown from behind the head but the thrower gained no advantage as he threw back to his player and we have seen, so often, this not awarded.

I thought that Sam Youngs had his best game in a town shirt and he was our player of the match. Billy demonstrated why he cannot be ignored with his well taken goal. Altogether an exciting game with a good team performance and, with better composure in front of goal, we could have been three up in the first 15 minutes.

Totally dominated the first 15 minutes to the extent the ball barely crossed the half way line until Stortford scored. That’s football. 
Despite playing some great football it was looking like we were never going to score. Until Billy showed why he was kept on the pitch when he netted after a bit of magic from Bobson. 
Agree this was one of Sam’s best games but my MoM would probably have been Scott Thomas. 
Roll on Tuesday ?

Completely agree with Steph's comments, thought the ref was over fussy  and I agree that Sam Youngs was our Man of the Match - though I do think that Sam puts in performances like that most weeks, never giving less than 100%, and probably the player I'd be most disappointed to lose from this squad. The shame is that he always seems to be the one who has to fill in around others but that just shows the quality he brings wherever he plays I suppose - the James Milner conundrum.

Not the most interesting game to watch but conditions were difficult  on a very wet afternoon. I heard it described as 'a proper scrap' and that called it just about right! Certainly wouldn't fault the commitment of the players but I don't think the formation was right, reverting to 3 up top again. I can certainly see why Andy would want to try to fit all 3 of Billy, Mo and Ken into the line up (and probably Alex too!) but I've never been a fan of that formation (unless we're about to sign Salah, Firmino and Mane!) - you certainly need the right players to play it. Thought we looked better when Bobson came on for Ken, allowing Mo and Billy to get closer together - Billy needs somebody playing close to him in my opinion, whilst Mo looks better when playing centrally. That's not to do down Ken in any way - great young player with fabulous prospects and probably had his best game for us himself just a couple of weeks ago at Cray.  Wasn't getting the right balls played to him yesterday.

Jon Muleba also had a good game up against Aaron Greene who we know can destroy a right back - still don't think we've got it right at the heart of the defence though, we look suspect from every breakaway and, surprisingly, every corner too. Thank God for Nathan in goal or we'd be losing far more games than we are!

Anybody have a view of the Mario Noto/Aaron Greene sending off incident? Looked something of nothing to me although I didn't have the best view. Can't believe there would have been any malice in it - another example of the ref calling it wrong? 

Archived