Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Folkestone Invicta

littlehampton

Momentum is everything in a tight title race, even if it is only mid-November, and that certainly applies right now to the Isthmian League Premier Division, where things are very close at the top end of the Table.

Town, who are currently 5th in the Table, with games in hand on all the teams above them,  host 2nd place Folkestone Invicta at the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium, tomorrow (Saturday 3.00pm), looking for a win and three precious points to close the gap.

Invicta will be looking to bounce back after their disappointing FA Trophy defeat at Maldon & Tiptree on Wednesday evening. While Town will be aiming to extend their impressive unbeaten run of results.

It should be a very close, exciting match, between  two very good sides.  Let's have plenty of loud noisy Town support and encouragement for Andy and the lads.

Good luck everyone. Enjoy!   'UP THE TOWN'

Really hoping for a victory here today but judging by our home league form against 3 of the better teams in the league that we have faced so far namely Horsham,Potters Bar and Hornchurch (one defeat and two draws)I’m not being overly optimistic, still fingers crossed 

Call me a complete pessimist. I fancy us to score. The trouble is that I don't think we'll keep a clean sheet. We should've lost to Hornchurch at home. If we have real ambitions to secure promotion then we need to be winning games like these. Not convinced we have the squad depth to challenge deep into the season. Let's see whether AL and the team can prove me wrong!

A very disappointing result for the Town today, but only our second League defeat of the season, against a very good side. Well done to Folkestone, but with circa five months of the season left, this reverse is not a disaster, providing we dust ourselves down, and bounce straight back to winning games again in our forthcoming matches.

Interesting to note that our FA Trophy opponent's next Saturday, Maldon & Tiptree, lost their 100% league record this afternoon, when they drew 1-1 at home against Histon.

Please share your thoughts on this afternoons match and result. Cheers!

First half was poor for us....never got started.

I know refs have a tough job......but are we really saying Mo and their dirty 3 deserved the same consequence??

Will never understand how some arrive at their decisions.

Folkestone were organised all afternoon expeets at slowing the game down and took every chance to slow it all down.

Frustrating afternoon

Get well soon Ryan.

What can one say other than the team which was better organised won.

In the first half Folkestone's No 6 ran the midfield almost unhindered. Up front Bricknell tried his hardest but he rarely receive a pass on the ground on which he thrives.  Mainly due to those around him trying, in turn, to dribble their way through the opposition defence. 

It was also hard to see who was in Town's midfield  as only Thomas seemed to keep to his position. After several weeks of playing out from the back , for what ever reason, we went back to AL's No1 tactic of the long ball. 

In the second half we improved and for a while it looked like we might at least draw level. But many chances were unfortunately wasted many because of the wrong choice of pass.

I know this is only our second loss but I am sure this would not have happened if we had had a midfield equal to that of opposition. But that still would not solve the problem if balls continue to fly over their heads. I do hope that this is soon addressed otherwise I feel it is going to be hard for us to stay in touch with the top teams in the league, even with our games in hand.

Agree DJW I too hope Ryan's injury is not as bad as it looked. Already said my piece last week when I queried what type of tackle a Ref considers merits the use of the Red Card.

Next week will be a different type of match so let's hope it brings a different outcome.

I’m normally sympathetic to referees , it’s a difficult job which lets be honest most of us wouldn’t want to do or be able to do. But I have to say some decisions left me confused today. 
Obviously hope Ryan’s injury is not as bad as it appeared it may be. 
As for the game, not much wrong with our performance and certainly no lack of commitment. Well played Folkestone who defended well and caught us on the break when we through everything at them for the equaliser. 
And good support today again which didn’t falter when we went behind.  

Frustrating afternoon, and I would say that the side that made the fewest mistakes won the game. Their second goal with the mix up between Hatton and Thomas (I think it was these two) in the build up put us completely on the back foot - you can't give a 2 goal lead to a decent side, and they clearly were a decent, well drilled side. Having said that, I don't think we were any worse than them over 90 minutes and our second half performance in my view deserved to get us at least a point - on another day, with better finishing and slightly more luck we could have turned the scoreline around. I'm not too dejected as a result, I think if we cut out the mistakes and keep people fit, we'll still be there or thereabouts competing for the play off places at the end of the season.

There were plenty of positives for me from the game too - Bricknell looks a lot sharper than he did when I saw him last (against Stortford away), and seems to be linking better with Mo. Mo's goal was taken very nicely, as we've come to expect, and assuming the two of them stay injury free (and remain at the club), we will carry a goal threat against any side. Bobson looked lively throughout and gives us a slightly different attacking dimension with the ability to beat a man, get behind and put balls into the box which the forwards should thrive on. I was side on, so couldn't tell for sure, but if their keeper tipped his shot onto the post in the second half it was a superb save. Thomas as well deserves a lot of credit - each game I've seen him play he looks assured, is positionally very good, wins the ball back and gives it simply - I thought we'd miss Johnson when he left, but actually feel that Thomas is equally as good in that role.

On the negative side, apart from the mistakes in the first half, I think we got impatient way too early at 2-1, tried to force things too much and started to go far too direct, which really doesn't suit our game. Although Mo and Billy competed well in the air, I'm sure their centre backs were rubbing their hands together once we started pinging long balls at them instead of trying to pay around them. I know I've disagreed with 4WF previously, but I think he's exactly right in a lot of respects, what we needed was patience someone to put their foot on the ball in midfield and keep recycling the play so that we worked their back four out of position and then pick that killer pass to the forwards once space was made. I don't think Ryan going off helped in this respect - ideally we needed another centre mid coming on, rather than a forward, but we are where we are - someone like Taafe (or Mulley, who played in the week, or Noto from a few years ago ? ) on the bench could have made a huge difference. Having said this, I'd be amazed if it was a management decision to go direct - I could hear Weatherstone shouting at the team to keep their shape and stay patient as we had so much time left, and I'm sure the management were saying the same.

Regarding the tackle on Ryan, I don't think it was an absolute horror tackle, the Invicta player was trying to get the ball, and was only marginally late, but flew in recklessly and once you don't get the ball in that situation and catch the opponent you certainly can't complain if you see red. On another day, they would have been reduced to 10 with all the benefits that the extra space would have brought us. Hopefully the injury isn't bad - I head someone mention on the way out of the ground that it was a badly gashed shin - no idea if their info was correct, but if so hopefully he'll not be out too long.

Anyway - we go again next week, lets hope we bounce back - I like this team, I like the way they play (most of the time), and I enjoy watching the exciting forwards, so I'm still very positive about the team and the management.

Thanks guys for some excellent feedback on yesterdays match. When you live distance away, and can't get to a game, it keeps you in touch and gives you a feel for the good, the bad, and ugly. Shame we didn't get something from the game, but when you are two goals down at the interval, and chasing the game, it was always going to be difficult. You don't always get what you deserve, and even the best teams lose some matches!

Personally, I think we have a very good squad of players now, and it is very encouraging to note the number of talented young players being promoted through to our first team squad. A great credit to our coaching staff!

We have a very interesting and challenging week ahead. I can't make the Kingstonian match on Wednesday, but will be there next Saturday, with great expectation, for our FA Trophy clash with Maldon.
Think that is going to be some match, a real game and a half, another 'must win' occasion!  Let's be there in numbers and make ourselves heard. See you there!

2 hours ago, littlehampton said:

Personally, I think we have a very good squad of players now, and it is very encouraging to note the number of talented young players being promoted through to our first team squad. A great credit to our coaching staff!

Agree with that entirely,especially the bit about younger players progessing through our system.

COYT.

As you said Barney we have in the past seen things from a different perspective. But enjoyed your post today and commend you for an excellent summation of yesterdays game both the good and bad.  You captured the game just as I saw it.

It also contained many points that the playing management would do well to note! Good observations are not in anyway criticism.

Unfortunately, I am away this weekend but will be there in spirit and not to far from the internet.

Archived