Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Maldon & Tiptree

seemgee

Thank goodness for Mo's first minute cracker and Bricknell"s wonder goal. Very good game and you can see why M and T have gone unbeaten so far this season. The guys stuck at it and ground out the win. However, I do still worry about our midfield being over run leaving our back line at the mercy of pacy opponents.

Best game I have seen for a long time, between two excellent sides. Town more than deserved to win IMO. M and T were excellent in the first half but fortunate to level from a dubious looking penalty. Town were on top second half and went down 2-3 against the run of play from what looked like a clear offside against two M and T players. However Town stayed on top and Bricknell's two match winning strikes were superb. Solid all round performance which again deserved a bigger attendance.

Great result to wake up to - sounds like an excellent match!! Looking forward to reading people's feedback.

Really good to see Ryan Blackman's name in the starting 11, I was worried that last week's injury was serious and would keep him out of action for quite some time. When he clicks, the team clicks. Beating an in-form team (albeit a league lower) keeps confidence high and continues to build momentum. As did the 0-0 v. Kingstonian. As several other contributors have pointed out, these are the types of  matches we would have lost last season.

I like the way the management are giving the U23 players who are capable of stepping up, time with the first team squad. Sends the right message.

The FA Cup and Trophy runs are a welcome boost to the coffers. Almost GBP 25k by my rough calcs (so far). Kudos to the FA (for once) for apportioning prize money more sensibly down the non-league pyramid.

Looking at the upcoming fixtures, 3 of our next 4 league games are at home. If we can maintain Fortress Donkey Dome, it's going to be a terrific season!!

No credit given to the ref? Who, after the last couple of no hopers at the QEII, had an extremely good game I thought?

3 minutes ago, 72wemblyfinal said:

@wxen8

Yes I also felt the ref had a very good game.far better than some we have had this season.

Only disappointment for me was RB pointless booking for arguing with the ref.I think that now rules him out of sats game.

Agreed, seemed a spur of the moment decision, but there must have been a reason? Wonder what he said? He can be a bit 'passionate' !

11 hours ago, WXEn8 said:

No credit given to the ref? Who, after the last couple of no hopers at the QEII, had an extremely good game I thought?

7/10 for me..Kept control very well.She was sometimes a bit too far away from play at times and was prone to giving cheap free-kicks around the edge of the box,but overall better than average to previous refs this season.

Obviously very happy with the result, and we probably just about deserved to go through on balance over 90 minutes (they were much better than us first half, where we weren't at the races at all). As others have said, I do worry about the balance of our side - although we appeared to be nominally lining up as 4-4-2, the wide midfielders are effectively forwards and as a result we were playing 4-2-4 at times. I'm not blaming the management for this, they can't help the injuries to Taafe, Livings and Youngs, but for the first 45 minutes M&T showed us exactly how to retain the ball (apart from the first 15 seconds), with their 4 constantly showing and moving the ball around and I wasn't too hopeful of a positive outcome at half time.

That said, we undoubtedly have goals in us, and as always seems to be the way, I was just thinking that Billy was having a quiet game when he scored his first, and his second was a strike worthy of winning any game. Mo's goal wasn't bad either! Can't question our workrate in the second half too - we definitely raised the intensity as Maldon seemed to tire a little, and there were some solid performances in the back 4 and central midfield. I know I call out Thomas most times I post about games, but again he was excellent (I do worry about how we'd get on if he was injured/suspended).

In the hat for the next round, and two big league games coming up - lets hope for more positive results.

Archived