Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Serious news

andyetfc

From the official club emails.

On a  serious note we have had a complaint about the abuse of an official on Saturday by a spectator and the club are investigating the matter. We really do appreciate your passionate support for our team which is second to none oi the League but if you think another spectator has overstepped the mark and feel confident and safe to do so please point this out to them politely. Alternatively please report the matter to a steward in a yellow jacket or an official of the club.  Thanks for your co-operation. 

Let's hope that this matter is dealt with and the 'so called supporter', who is eventually identified, is told to go and watch some other club rather than drag ours down.

I completely agree with this - some of what I've seen after games is absolutely shocking. How do people think it's OK to crowd round the tunnel and hurl insults at the officials at full time? OK, I get that we've had our fair share of bad decisions, but it happens, and it happens to all teams, not just us - I very much doubt that any official has it in for us, or deliberately makes a bad call.

This wouldn't be acceptable behaviour in pretty much any scenario you care to name, so why should it be seen as OK at a football match by a small but not insignificant number of 'fans'? Is it any wonder that the standard of refereeing seems to be going downhill - why would anyone want to officiate a match when you get subjected to that?! More to the point, what sort of example is it setting the youngsters that we are trying our best to attract to the club?

Edited by Barney
Typos etc.

21 hours ago, andyetfc said:

Correct. However, if it is who most people believe it is, then the problem should have been dealt with ages ago. Some people think he's funny!

Is it the little guy with the beard ?? He has a north n south on him . I Think he has a brother who looks like him. They look like a pair of new age hippies. ?

Edited by Albury_Walker
Spelling mistake

1 hour ago, Steph said:

You are mistaken AW. The twin brother has not gone to a game, as far as I am aware, since Essex senior league days. And the twin that comes to our games is a responsible person who takes photographs from the small stand opposite the main stand.

I'm going back quite a few years to be honest .He did stand out when we played you at Brimsdown a couple of times.. . He did eff at the officials quite rabidly back then.. 

9 hours ago, Wildlife rescue said:

No but You definitely would know him though Albury.

Ok I think I know who your talking about now . Luckily I don't have too much to do with him when he turns up at ours. ?

Whilst I agree totally with the sentiments aired in this thread, I must stand up for the right of any paying punter to eloquent protest.

In the same way as I complimented our referee for the Maldon & Tiptree game, I have on occasions felt it my duty to point out a referee's shameful ineptitude, questioned their right to their match fee and enquire how they could possibly sleep soundly that night, all without resorting to expletives!

Swearing and personal abuse are water of a duck's back with referees, whereas the truth, clearly told is far more affective. 

It has always been part of the game to berate and shout at the officials if they are poor.That is part of the 'theatre' of watching live football on the terraces.Where else in life can you have a good vent and release some anger.And all for £11.?

What i do not agree with is the need to shout the 'F' or 'C' word. Or to make threats..A poor official can be fully 'dug out' without the need for those things.

Edited by lovely stuff

Shouting (and berating to a point) isn't the issue, I don't think - I've no doubt referees will accept that they will get their decisions questioned by one side or another, and vocal home fans can influence referees decision making to an extent. I quite often will let a referee know that they've got it wrong during a match, and would expect most supporters to do the same - it might well lead to a 50/50 call going our way later in the game, as I'm sure crowd reaction sits in the referees subconscious to an extent at least.

What I have a real issue with is personal abuse, swearing or otherwise - the same applies to opposition keepers - banter is fine, if it gets personal and offensive, it's not acceptable (or funny). More specifically I have a big issue with the idea that it's OK to seek the officials out after the game and subject them to a barrage of abuse as they leave the field. The game is over, decisions have been made (rightly or wrongly) and people need to grow up and move on. Referees should not have to put up with this in my opinion.

Barney have to agree here.

Very true about referees.   Yes you can vent but has to be within reason.    Despite thinking the Folkestone 3 should have got a red card the level of abuse he received walking down the tunnel was way over the top.

If referee on Saturday was one of the best this season why on earth should she be getting any grief??

Reminder from a couple of years back....

Maybe a few of our fans should watch closely...

5 hours ago, Barney said:

Shouting (and berating to a point) isn't the issue, I don't think - I've no doubt referees will accept that they will get their decisions questioned by one side or another, and vocal home fans can influence referees decision making to an extent. I quite often will let a referee know that they've got it wrong during a match, and would expect most supporters to do the same - it might well lead to a 50/50 call going our way later in the game, as I'm sure crowd reaction sits in the referees subconscious to an extent at least.

What I have a real issue with is personal abuse, swearing or otherwise - the same applies to opposition keepers - banter is fine, if it gets personal and offensive, it's not acceptable (or funny). More specifically I have a big issue with the idea that it's OK to seek the officials out after the game and subject them to a barrage of abuse as they leave the field. The game is over, decisions have been made (rightly or wrongly) and people need to grow up and move on. Referees should not have to put up with this in my opinion.

So, exactly what I said then?!?!?

5 hours ago, djwilf said:

Barney have to agree here.

Very true about referees.   Yes you can vent but has to be within reason.    Despite thinking the Folkestone 3 should have got a red card the level of abuse he received walking down the tunnel was way over the top.

If referee on Saturday was one of the best this season why on earth should she be getting any grief??

Reminder from a couple of years back....

Maybe a few of our fans should watch closely...

The ref Sat was very good.

The foul and abusive language was directed to the linesman.

The ref Sat got applauded off as she went down the tunnel by both sets of fans.