Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Buildbase FA Vase Fourth Round

It had to be didn’t it:

FA Vase fourth round draw (to be played on Saturday 11 January): Worcester City v Coventry United, Stockton Town v Malvern Town or Atherstone Town, Vauxhall Motors v Hebburn Town, Congleton Town or Longridge Town v AFC Mansfield or Newark Flowserve, Wythenshawe Town or Consett v Lutterworth Town, West Auckland Town v Walsall Wood, South Normanton Athletic v Wroxham, Sporting Khalsa v Kirkley & Pakefield, Stowmarket Town v GlebeChatham Town v Corinthian, Eynesbury Rovers v Leighton TownDeal Town v Binfield, Bitton v Warminster Town, Woodbridge Town or Stanway Rovers v Plymouth Parkway, Buckland Athletic v Bradford Town, Christchurch v Lancing or Sutton Common Rovers.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/fa-vase-draw-217616/

I see that there is debate on another Forum about the alleged 'shambles' yesterday whereby the timing of the FA Vase Fourth Round draw was not well communicated, I thought it was common knowledge that the draw would be at 11.30am and was awaiting the outcome with bated breath to see who Leighton Town and Eynesbury Rovers drew. An added bonus was that the draw was made live on Talksport2 so what more does the complainant want, what's that saying by John Lydgate, “you can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?post=957364;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;guest=331169314

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 13:01, Rhodes said:

It had to be didn’t it:

FA Vase fourth round draw (to be played on Saturday 11 January):

Eynesbury Rovers v Leighton Town

Once Saturday is out of the way we will be looking forward to the Eynesbury Rovers v Leighton Town tie won't we to see which of our remaining two Club's will reach the last sixteen of the FA Vase. 

I see that the local press in Leighton Buzzard are already talking about the eagerly awaited tie:

With the countdown now on to their big FA Vase fourth round tie against fellow Premier division side Eynesbury Rovers, preparations will continue this weekend with a friendly, followed by a cup game on Tuesday, January 7. Leighton Town will welcome Buckingham United to Bell Close in the Bucks Charity Cup.

https://www.leightonbuzzardonline.co.uk/sport/football/kirkwood-saves-the-day-as-leighton-town-win-derby-game-at-dunstable-1-9187745

I see that the countdown has started:

Billede

A preview on the tie from the Leighton Buzzard Observer, obviously from a Leighton Town perspective:

https://www.leightonbuzzardonline.co.uk/sport/football/cheer-on-leighton-town-in-fa-vase-game-at-eynesbury-rovers-1-9194244

Not long now folks:

ENxWyo6XkAA8BKO.jpg

From Eynesbury Rovers website. This is new territory for Eynesbury Rovers as the Club have never been beyond the Third Round stage of the FA Vase having lost 3-2 at home to Halstead Town in the Third Round in the 1994/95 campaign. Leighton Town on the other hand reached the Quarter Finals in 2017/18 losing 1-0 at home to 1874 Northwich under the guidance of idolised Scott Reynolds who surprisingly resigned at the end of that hugely successful campaign, prior to that the Bell Close Club's best achievement was reaching the Fifth Round stage in 2003/04 when they lost 3-1 at Andover: 

On Saturday 11th January 2020 Eynesbury Rovers host fellow Spartan South Midlands League side Leighton Town in the FA Vase 4th Round, kick off 3.00pm. A large crowd is expected so please arrive early. The football club car park will be for players and officials only but we have arranged for parking to be available at Ernulf School (PE19 2SH).  Admission is £6 for adults, £3 OAPs and £1 for U16s. Programmes cost £1 each. Due to competition regulations all drinks will be served in plastic receptacles.  Please come on down to support Eynesbury Rovers as we bid to reach the last 16.

Lets get ready to rumble folks:

EN2mUn0X0AEh1DV.jpg

Like I said, lets get ready to rumble folks:

EN6IYueXkAAPyVL.jpg

The tie really lived up to its billing didn't it:

Saturday 11 January 
Buildbase FA Vase Fourth Round
Eynesbury Rovers 3 Leighton Town 4 (attendance 469)

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

The tie really lived up to its billing didn't it:

Saturday 11 January 
Buildbase FA Vase Fourth Round
Eynesbury Rovers 3 Leighton Town 4 (attendance 469)

What a crazy season Leighton Town are having!

There is a statement on Leighton Town's website following the tie at Eynesbury Rovers on Saturday:

OFFICIAL CLUB STATEMENT REGARDING YESTERDAY'S FA VASE GAME

The Executive Committee at Leighton Town FC would like to thank the hundreds of their loyal supporters who travelled to the FA Vase game yesterday at Eynesbury Rovers FC . As ever, your conduct was impeccable and a credit to the club. Your support is hugely appreciated by the players, managers, backroom staff and committee.

That said, the club strongly condemns the behaviour of a group of youths whose actions were completely unacceptable yesterday. These are not Leighton Town supporters and have let both the club and our true supporters down enormously! At the same time, the response of a small group of Eynesbury adults at the end of the game, which is clearly captured on video, must also be condemned. The behaviour of both groups has no place in football and those involved should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

After much discussion today and after studying the video footage available, the club will be taking the strongest of action against the Leighton youths responsible once identified and we will shortly announce a series of measures that will ensure that we do not witness such scenes again.

It is a shame that these events marred what was a competitive and hugely exciting game between two very good teams; a game that could have gone either way. We send our best wishes to Eynesbury Rovers for the rest of the season.

The Executive Committee: Leighton Town FC

Another Forum is full of 'the disturbances' at the Eynesbury Rovers v Leighton Town tie on Saturday, it's a crying shame that is what's being talked about rather than the best match of the fourth round:

1. FA Vase
The Alfred Hall Memorial Ground
Eynesbury Rovers 3 - 4 Leighton Town - both of the Spartan South Midlands League - Tier 9
Half Time 1 - 1
Adm £6/3, programmes all sold out...and I didn't see anyone carrying any so not sure how many were printed. Tea £1.. with the longest queue meaning I didn't get my cuppa until half way through the second half...
Number of flares let off by the away fans 8...a new stat for me!
Attendance 469, and at least 6 dogs.
A very good turn out for this well matched tie. Free parking next door at the Ernulf Academy/Leisure Centre. A very jovial gentleman on the 'gate', commenting he didn't get many Chesterfield supporters here on looking at my hat. At one point I was chatting to a groundhopper from Worksop in Nottinghamshire. A temporary stand behind the near goal, although it looked a lot more permanent on closer inspection with it's plastic bucket seats. Down the touch line is the bar/club house with the main stand attached to the outside. The bar was particularly busy today, with the tea hatch inside opening out into the hall. The 2 dugouts were on the opposite touchline.

2. The Leighton fans in the 'temporary' stand let off their first red flare...... . With every Leighton goal their fans became louder and set off further flares. A young Leighton fan stood next to me was quite embarrassed by their behaviour. When the final whistle came a small pitch invasion ensued, with some rather agitated Leighton fans very nearly coming to blows. At this point I left to find my car, promptly removing my blue hat so as not to draw any attention from any Leighton fans. A shame, as I really enjoyed the game itself, and I doubt I shall willingly seek out any further Leighton Town matches. 

3. I don't blame you. The flares were more than likely the work of the annoying brats who latched onto us after the QF against Northwich two years ago - or the inevitable "glory hunters" that every club gets when there's a sniff of success in the air.

4. Definitely seems to be an issue with the latter rounds of the FA Vase attracting numpties. Sadly clubs are not really prepared for inflated crowds at step 5/6. I expect these incidents won't be the last ones of the seasons. Be interesting to see who Leighton draw tomorrow and what controls are put in place for the host team, if they are away.

Went to the Eynesbury vs Leighton game on Saturday and addressing the most important point first, what a game! Leighton looked dead and buried with 15 minutes remaining. However 2 substitutes changed the game. Ex QPR player Ben Pattie and Ashton Campbell combined well for 2 of the 3 goals in the comeback. It has surprised me that Campbell hasn’t got more minutes for Leighton this season. 

Eynesbury have a very powerful and effective front 3 of Gentle, Brown and Calcutt who will cause a lot of teams problems.

For the majority of the game the atmosphere was brilliant. Leighton had publicised this game well but a side effect seems to have been that a horde of 16-18 year olds turned up wanting to be ‘ultra’ type fans. Nothing wrong with this per se but they turned idiotic. I think something was thrown at a player in the game although I think he may have feigned it hitting him. At the end of the game an unsurprising pitch invasion happened. The youths choose to run towards the Eynesbury fans and started goading them. On this provocation a lot of beer and punches were thrown, predominantly from the Eynesbury fans. Nobody came out of the situation well, especially the Eynesbury player Jordan Brown who ran from the changing rooms to throw some punches.

The lesson is that if Leighton decide to take these types of fans again (which I hope they don’t) that they provide stewards to control them

Leighton Lad - It didn't sound particularly great from your description or from this local press coverage however there's no getting away from the fact that it was a memorable match to say the least particularly Leighton Town's amazing comeback from being 3-1 down:

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/thrilling-fa-vase-match-ends-17555837

https://www.huntspost.co.uk/sport/football/chairman-brands-ugly-scenes-a-complete-and-utter-disgrace-1-6462564

I see that the then Eynesbury Rovers Manager Mark Ducket reacted strongly to the shocking scenes at the Alfred Hall Memorial Ground on Saturday and is quoted as saying “I didn’t expect that at all, it was mental, i’ve never witnessed anything like it, as a football person I’ve seen most things in the game though and this was a recipe for disaster". I wonder whether the scenes, as well as the manor of Eynesbury Rovers defeat where they led 3-1 with fifteen minutes to play, had anything to do with his sudden and shock departure from the Club three days later after four seemingly happy years at the helm:

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/sport/football/eynesbury-rovers-manager-reacts-shameful-17567856

Archived