Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Muhammadu Faal

So it looks like we're going to lose Mo at some point soon with The Sun and Sky carrying reports that he is being tracked by a host of Premier League clubs. Given that he is the reason we are riding fairly high in the league, can someone answer the following?

If he is not on a contract (and the likes of Weatherstone/Bricknell are), why isn't he? Even a short-term deal would've potentially netted us a very healthy return - and his performances have certainly merited the commitment.

Is there any prospect of AL finding a comparable replacement if/when Mo leaves?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/10475593/liverpools-joe-gomez-cousin-enfield-vardy/

The discussion we had previously concluded that with players such as Mo who are very ambitious and looking to progress into the full time game,it would not be in their interest to sign with their current club (if their current club are willing to pay them a good wage as an non-contracted player).The club know that the player probably would not have joined the club at all if the club had insisted on a year long contract being signed.

More worrying for me is that any team in this league with Mo and Billy up front,should be top 3 in the league.When we lose Mo and if Billy gets injured,i can see us slipping back into the mid table positions,or worse.

On the plus side I think we'd have difficulty getting relegated this season!

I just don't think that we have the finances to mount a promotion challenge. It looks to me as if we've spent all our cash on our forward line, and then we paper over the cracks in midfield/defence. Over a long season we're bound to come unstuck.

Both of the above posts sum up the reality of our position. In addition to players the argument will apply if we and when recruiting  managers in the future.

But then I have said my bit about this over and over again. Having endured intense criticism for expressing my views on the subject  I have now reluctantly accepted the status quo.

That said I feel, in view of our restraints, we have more than excelled ourselves so far this season. Hopefully the results of the last week is just a blip rather than the consequences of our financial status.

We can only keep our fingers crossed for the New Year that something will turn up to keep us in contention.  

Having read the articles you referred to CC they suggest that Mo is being looked at rather than signed. At least for now. 

Regarding Steph's question as to who can replace him, I think that Ken Charles would for the time being fill that role. Also I would like to see Charles Brown also given a run should the occasion arise. However, I consider our main objective is to improve our midfield.

What are the possibilities for a Taafe return?  Also who else is injured? One does not hear much on this subject!

8 minutes ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

Having read the articles you referred to CC they suggest that Mo is being looked at rather than signed. At least for now. 

Regarding Steph's question as to who can replace him, I think that Ken Charles would for the time being fill that role. Also I would like to see Charles Brown also given a run should the occasion arise. However, I consider our main objective is to improve our midfield.

What are the possibilities for a Taafe return?  Also who else is injured? One does not hear much on this subject!

Livings is another one we're missing, who when fit is a decent midfielder who's comfortable in possession. I'd like to see Brown involved too, I've not seen him play much, but when I have, I've been impressed by his workrate and attitude.

Regards MF I don't think we have to worry in the short term,he turned down at least 2 7day approaches recently that i know of from I believe St Alban's City and Concord Rangers.

We have some decent players in our squad and u23s who I think when given the chance will excell.I just hope Andy gives these guys a fair chance and does not bring in any more journeymen to cover injuries.I also think it's about time Junior got a start.

One other person out injured long term is Potton.

Yes Barney and W72 I had forgotten about Livings and Potton.

Also I have always thought the former a good young player when he played for us 4/5 years ago. I don't know what his injury is? I agree entirely with 72W that we still have a number of players that could fit in to midfield with the added ability to make the necessary passes needed by our forwards.

This would make Blackman's marauding making rash tackles redundant. After all he had already been carded and his second offence was made well away from danger, being almost on half way. Something he does time and time again.  Any decent coach would recognise this and tell him that, in this part of the field, it is not necessary to go in forceful but to stay on your feet and jockey the opponent until you are ready to tackle. Until he learns this I feel that he will always be a liability to the rest of the team. This is another reason why I feel some else be given a chance.

14 hours ago, andyetfc said:

Mo was turned down by Bolton, wasn't he, so why are clubs in the premier division are looking at him? 

National League South or the next step would probably be his next best move. But what do I know?

In which case why did he turn down St Albans and Concord? Was it because they would only take him on a contract - which he wouldn't be prepared to commit to?

Maybe Bolton couldn't afford to add anyone to their payroll?

Either way, it looks like MF has a decent agent who is managing to get him some incredible publicity!

I guess it does ETFC no harm if it demonstrates to others that players at the club might catch the attention of Premier League clubs. Just as it was nice to hear ETFC repeatedly mentioned (as the only side to beat them up to that point) during the pre-match and commentary of the Maldon & Tiptree FA Cup match.

@The Crowing Cockerel

I had the opportunity to have a lengthy chat with Mo recently,and what I gleaned from the conversation was that he would only be interested in leaving us to progress his career at a team in the football league.And him turning down two offers confirms this.Which I think speaks volumes for our club.

I also saw the Maldon game but I do wish the commentators named us correctly as Enfield Town, they just called us Enfield ! They always do.

I think it suits both parties.This is probably the best level he can play at without being 'contracted'..So he stays free to join a league club at any time .The league club would also be more willing to sign him without having to pay a transfer fee to secure his services..And our club get the (maybe short-term) services of  a player that is good enough to be playing at a far higher level.

The annoying thing for us would be if a Premier League side did come in for him. Unlike a football league club, they may not be put off by the prospect of a transfer fee in the tens of thousands. But I guess the chances of being plucked from non-league these days are tiny.

Let's just enjoy his quality whilst he's here.

Never met him but sounds a lovely guy and quite grounded too.   Always think it's great when some of our players score then run over to friends/family to celebrate as doesn't really happen in bigger stadiums.

He's been a breath of fresh air this year and we should make the most of his massive contributions when he pulls on a Town shirt.

On 07/12/2019 at 17:49, 72wemblyfinal said:

Three scouts at Todays game watching Mo.

Cambridge United,Stevenage,Mansfield.

Not exactly the reported premier league.

Archived