Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Masters of our own downfall

urchinman1961

Never really got going first half then a goal down then equalised on the stroke of half time and then just into the second half oh Mickey what was you thinking of straight red and a game changer behind soon after.Done well with 10 men and had chances near the end would have won it with 11 men.But well done to Aveley a good outfit and good luck in the next round.Great crowd by the way.Up the Urchins

A very disappointing day at the office. Never got going in the first half and it really was a case of they wanted it more then us. People have been saying what about dulwich what about oxford? Well it doesn’t matter about those games we were the underdogs and played out of our skins so why shouldn’t we do that today as the favourites? Aveley were the underdogs and we knew they’d come to fight and want it and quite frankly we didn’t want it and were second to everything. 
i have spoken to players and fans after the game about today and debated for a long while before sending this but my opinion still hasn’t changed. We did not want it today. We didn’t turn up and we underestimated a lower league side which was our own downfall. 
I think the icing on the cake was some of our players coming into the bar and having a laugh and joke rather than feel disappointed about the performance and the result. I know we are all humans but it rubbed salt into the wounds of a passionate fan. Was a bitter sweet thing to swallow as a fan who was so upset about the result and performance to see a person who is paid by the club to then enjoy their time in the bar more then they did on the pitch after a poor performance. I’d like to add a lot of the players were upset about the result and performance and made their feelings clear in the bar too.
i know this will be read by many people in the club including owners and management but this is my own genuine opinion of today’s game in brief and think I’m allowed to voice my opinion. Especially as i took the day off work to support the team and be part of the big day! 

But nevertheless we move on and continue to back the team. Onwards and upwards and hopefully we can spring on in the league and many positives to come over the coming weeks. Up the chins. 

I rarely give my opinion or criticise the players, but I really did think this was the worst performance I’ve seen from us this season. It’s frustrating for the supporters as this competition was something I know we all wanted to do well in. I feared before the game that we may underestimate our opponents as we’ve done this a few times in the past with lower opposition. Aveley simply wanted it more than us today.

It doesn’t help that on a personal note a few people from my Sunday league team were there today as Aveley supporters so I will now get ripped to shreds in the morning. I don’t mind losing if I can say that we performed at our best and the opposition showed a lot more quality to win the game, but that’s not the case today.

I’ll be looking for a big response from the players in the next league game and hope they can really show us the qualities that we know they all have. Let’s kick on now in the league and hopefully have a really positive second half of the season.

Was a very poor game with no real football from either side, we struggled to deal with Sykes aireal ability all game and unfortunately when we needed our midfield most it was non existent with poorly placed passing and no forward threat. I feel the team appeared quite lopsided with George on one wing but nothing on the other (then Remi bombing forward), we never tested their keeper all game and all in all I cannot argue with the result Aveley were worthy winners. 

Can’t help but agree with all of the above . The setup of the team didn’t seem quite right. Also seemed a flat performance, someone said to me it was reminiscent of the Potters Bar game. Well done to Aveley , good hard working performance from them but this was clearly a missed opportunity for us. At least we can start clearing off those games in hand now.

It didn't feel right from the off, with miss placed passes all over the shop and no real threat. Their forward line did look dangerous though and despite it never being a penalty, it wasn't a surprise that they took the lead. Having equalised just before the break I thought at half time we would go on and win - not to be.

I know people were angry and frustrated at the end.  This was a great opportunity to reach the last 16. It's worth reflecting though that not so long ago many on here, myself included, were decrying the break up of the Division 1 North Championship team and the influx of ex Thurrock players.  Now we are upset whilst sat in the Premiership play-offs, with games in hand to go top and having reached the Trophy last 32. We've come a long way and one crap game shouldn't undo that. Lots to play for this season still, so onwards and upwards again.

By the way, anyone know how the Romford Rockets, Wizards, Wa****s got on?

While I agree with a lot that has been said I cannot agree that we underestimated the opposition, Mark would not allow this. This was the type of game when we missed the influence of Lewwis Spence. Yes we have won without him but this game needed him badley. We now go on Wednesday to show what we can do.

Archived