Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Leighton Town

On 10/12/2020 at 20:43, Rhodes said:

Photographs and match reports from Aylesbury v Leighton Town, at Haywood Way on Saturday 19 March 2016, in a Southern League Division One Central fixture from 2015/16, resulting in a 0-0 stalemate. Leighton Town were relegated to the SSML at the end of that disappointing campaign finishing second from bottom to North Greenford United who were also relegated to the Combined Counties League:

https://www.leightontownfc.co.uk/teams/11587/match-centre/1-1609222/report

https://www.aylesburyvaledynamos.co.uk/teams/77541/match-centre/1-1609222/report

YouTube coverage from the Southern League Division One Central fixture at Haywood Way on Saturday 19 March 2016:

Edited by Rhodes

Brief highlights, and match report, from Leighton Town v Luton Town in a 2013/14 Bedfordshire FA Senior Challenge Cup Second Round tie, at Bell Close on Tuesday 4 February 2014, Luton Town won 2-0. I'm not sure what the dispute was with the penalty award for the first goal, Warren Plowright almost had the lace out of the ball and he was rightly booked for his protests:

Match Report: Leighton Town 0 - 2 Luton Town : First Team (leightontownfc.co.uk)

Edited by Rhodes

Leighton Town's 'mouthpiece' AlwaysLeighton has gone terribly quiet hasn't he. Here is a bit of good news amongst the current doom and gloom as despite the 2020/21 season having been 'curtailed', as was announced by the FA earlier this evening, the FA Vase will thankfully continue with Leighton Town due to meet the winners of Guildford City and Walton & Hersham in the Fourth Round:

The FA Alliance and Leagues Committee curtail the 2020/21 season at Steps 3 to 6
Our alliance and leagues committees have now considered the large amount of data and information submitted by clubs across the National League System (NLS) Steps 3-6 as part of a survey to gather views on the continuation or conclusion of the 2020-21 league season, in addition to the information set out in the Government’s roadmap this week.
Submissions were made by 99.1 per cent of clubs at Steps 3 and 4, and 95.8 per cent of clubs at Steps 5 and 6. We would like to thank the clubs for submitting their views and the time taken in providing responses during what we appreciate is an incredibly challenging period for everyone.
The results of the survey showed that over 76 per cent of all clubs across Steps 3-6 indicated a preference to curtail the 2020-21 league season if it could not be restarted with limited spectator numbers and hospitality before 1 April.  
During this process, taking into account views of clubs and leagues, it was decided that extending the 2020-21 league season beyond the end of May 2021 would not be a viable option. This was due to various considerations, including the financial implications for many clubs, player contracts and the extent of the fixture scheduling issues caused by the national lockdown and various postponements which had resulted in there being 81 per cent of matches left to complete for Steps 3 and 4, and 75 per cent at Steps 5 and 6. 
Taking into account the survey results and the ongoing impact of Covid-19, which continues to adversely affect incomes for clubs due to restrictions on both spectators and hospitality, our alliance and leagues committees have reached a consensus that, subject to the approval of FA Council, the 2020-21 league season for Steps 3-6 of the NLS should be curtailed with immediate effect, with no further league matches taking place this season. 
The committees will now present their collective recommendations to the FA Council for ratification.
It has also been decided that, subject to FA Council’s decision regarding the curtailment of the season at Steps 3-6, both committees will revisit discussions around a potential restructure at Steps 4-6 of the NLS, which was originally agreed and has been on hold since the 2019-20 season. A further update on this will be provided in due course.
The FA intends to complete the 2020-21 FA Vase on the basis that the road map is implemented as set out by the Government earlier this week.
“We are currently liaising with the relevant parties with regards to a revised schedule for the Competition and will communicate this along with other details (such as emergency Rule amendments or modifications) as soon as these have been finalised. Please note that due to time limitations, the Competition will resume at the earliest opportunity (meaning that all Clubs should be prepared to resume playing FA Vase fixtures in early April) to ensure that all remaining fixtures can be played and the Competition can be completed in its usual format.”

Edited by Rhodes

On 23/02/2021 at 02:00, Rhodes said:

Brief highlights, and match report, from Leighton Town v Luton Town in a 2013/14 Bedfordshire FA Senior Challenge Cup Second Round tie, at Bell Close on Tuesday 4 February 2014, Luton Town won 2-0. I'm not sure what the dispute was with the penalty award for the first goalWarren Plowright almost had the lace out of the ball and he was rightly booked for his protests:

Match Report: Leighton Town 0 - 2 Luton Town : First Team (leightontownfc.co.uk)

Maybe because the Referee indicated a corner then gave a penalty for hand ball?

On 25/02/2021 at 00:15, AlwaysLeighton said:

Oh no, 5 days since I replied to a post. Almost like I have a full-time job...

AlwaysLeighton - I just thought you would have come straight on to comment on the FA Vase being given the nod to continue by the FA in early April, do you have a preference of who you would like to host at Bell Close in the Fourth Round between Guildford City and Walton & Hersham. Historically I think you have only played Guildford City twice in the 2012/13 Southern League Division One Central campaign, losing both games including a 6-0 drubbing at Bell Close, but have never locked horns with the famous FA Cup giant killers from the early 1970's despite both Club's being in the Isthmian League together between 1992/93 and 2003/04, no doubt Karen will correct me if I'm wrong.

52 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

AlwaysLeighton - I just thought you would have come straight on to comment on the FA Vase being given the nod to continue by the FA in early April, do you have a preference of who you would like to host at Bell Close in the Fourth Round between Guildford City and Walton & Hersham. Historically I think you have only played Guildford City twice in the 2012/13 Southern League Division One Central campaign, losing both games including a 6-0 drubbing at Bell Close, but have never locked horns with the famous FA Cup giant killers from the early 1970's despite both Club's being in the Isthmian League together between 1992/93 and 2003/04, no doubt Karen will correct me if I'm wrong.

I have absolutely no preference, we’ll batter either of them 

Who remembers Leighton Town lifting the Isthmian League Vandanel Trophy sky high in 1998/99 (pictured), beating Windsor & Eton 1-0 in a Final played at Chesham United on Tuesday 4 May 1999 in front of a healthy 258 with the goal coming on half an hour. The Vandanel Trophy, back in the day, was a competition devised for lowly Division Two and Division Three Club's and Leighton Town never rose beyond Division Two whilst in the Isthmian League between 1992/93 and 2003/04 before winning Division Two and joining the Southern League Division One East on promotion in 2004/05. Surprisingly little or nothing is mentioned of the Club's Vandanel Trophy success in 1998/99 however it was not an achievement to be sniffed at with 42 Club's taking part and they defeated Wingate & Finchley 4-0, Northwood 2-1, Bedford Town 3-1, Wivenhoe Town 2-1 and Tooting & Mitcham United 3-2 along the way. Despite that success however joint Managers Paul Burgess and Andy McMahon were relieved of their duties at the end of the season and Reserve boss Guy Kefford accepted the offer to step up with Coach Sean Downey as his right hand man.

LEIGHTON TOWN v MOSELEY 1999-2000 Isthmian League Division 2

Edited by Rhodes

On 26/01/2021 at 01:54, Rhodes said:

AlwaysLeighton - I have found some very brief footage of Leighton Town's winning goal at Bell Close against Aldershot Town on Saturday 30 January 1993, it's exactly nine minutes into the YouTube video below and was a towering header from close range following a corner:

(331) Aldershot Town FC - Class Of 92 - Part 2 - YouTube

It was Steve Norman who got the goal at Bell Close that afternoon, not the Spandau Ballet saxophonist: 

Billedresultat for steve norman leighton town fc pictures

Photographs, and match report, from a 2005/06 FA Trophy First Qualifying Round tie between Leighton Town and Rugby Town, at Bell Close on Saturday 15 October 2005. Leighton Town won 2-1 to progress to the First Round proper that season losing narrowly 1-0 at Boreham Wood, having also won at Burnham in a 5-4 thriller and beaten then Conference South Eastleigh 2-1 in a backs against the wall replay following a 1-1 draw at Bell Close:

Rugby Town FC | Official Website

Rugby Town FC | Official Website

I see that the Non League Paper have randomly used a photograph from the 2017/18 Wolverhampton Sporting Community v Leighton Town FA Vase Fifth Round tie on 10 February 2018 for this article:

Step 5 and 6 leagues weigh up next moves as focus turns to pyramid restructure - The Non-League Football Paper

en38kYNI?format=jpg&name=medium

A recent article from the Leighton Buzzard Observer:

Leighton still have the Vase to cling on to | Leighton Buzzard Observer (leightonbuzzardonline.co.uk)

Leighton joint-manager Joe Sweeney confirmed the club are now preparing for a proposed date of Saturday April 10 for their home tie with either Guildford City or Walton & Hersham

• 2 weeks later...

I am amazed that AlwaysLeighton hasn't been on to talk about Joe Sweeney's excellent interview with Ollie Bayliss on his BBC Three Counties Radio Non League Show yesterday, it was a really great listen and Joe is very much looking forward to the FA Vase Fourth Round tie against Guildford City or Walton & Hersham at Bell Close on Saturday 17 April, albeit sadly behind closed doors. Joe did indicate that the forward thinking Club are looking to somehow stream the game and possibly make some money through contributions or a small fee, that might well appeal to the winners of the delayed Guildford City v Walton & Hersham Third Round tie taking place on Saturday 10 April as both Club's are well supported. There's an intereting article on Walton & Hersham's website and their boss Scott Harris is very confident of beating Guildford City, if, in the unlikely event, that is the case then Joe Sweeney will be shaking hands with him on 17 April:

A Conversation with Scott Harris: Reflections + the FA Vase | Walton & Hersham Football Club (waltonhershamfc.com)

Edited by Rhodes

19 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

I am amazed that AlwaysLeighton hasn't been on to talk about Joe Sweeney's excellent interview with Ollie Bayliss on his BBC Three Counties Radio Non League Show yesterday, it was a really great listen and Joe is very much looking forward to the FA Vase Fourth Round tie against Guildford City or Walton & Hersham at Bell Close on Saturday 17 April, albeit sadly behind closed doors. Joe did indicate that the forward thinking Club are looking to somehow stream the game and possibly make some money through contributions or a small fee, that might well appeal to the winners of the delayed Guildford City v Walton & Hersham Third Round tie taking place on Saturday 10 April as both Club's are well supported. There's an intereting article on Walton & Hersham's website and their boss Scott Harris is very confident of beating Guildford City, if, in the unlikely event, that is the case then Joe Sweeney will be shaking hands with him on 17 April:

A Conversation with Scott Harris: Reflections + the FA Vase | Walton & Hersham Football Club (waltonhershamfc.com)

Wow, perfect timing then hey. 

Good listen, the stream is ideal for Leighton fans as well as Guildford or W&H fans. Should be good. Annoying it’s behind closed doors but hey I’ll be there and deliver the news the best way I know how!

On 24/01/2021 at 15:08, AlwaysLeighton said:

I have no idea, I would’ve been about 5 years old.

Two interesting handbooks from the 1963/64 and 1964/65 campaigns and when the Club reverted back to its original name of Leighton Town in 1963/64 which it had when formed in 1885, from 1922/23 until 1962/63 they were known as Leighton United. I wonder how much of the Club's iconic history AlwaysLeighton knows about and has studied as he was only five years old in 2007/08:

Official Handbook Leighton Town Football Club 1963-1964 - South Midlands LeagueOfficial Handbook Leighton Town Football Club 1964-1965 - South Midlands League

23 hours ago, AlwaysLeighton said:

Good listen

AlwaysLeighton - One thing I've noticed with Joe is that he always emphasises positivety and seems obsessed by it, he appears to hate anything negative or critical, have you picked up on that out of interest, this is one of his posts on another thread:

Cheers for the question, always happy to have communication, so long as it stays on the side of positive, keep in touch

Edited by Rhodes

2 hours ago, Rhodes said:

AlwaysLeighton - One thing I've noticed with Joe is that he always emphasises positivety and seems obsessed by it, he appears to hate anything negative or critical, have you picked up on that out of interest, this is one of his posts on another thread:

Cheers for the question, always happy to have communication, so long as it stays on the side of positive, keep in touch

I think that it is certainly easier to communicate when things are positive, but why be negative when to be honest, there’s nothing to be negative about at Leighton town really? 

When you’re in a positive, forward-thinking environment, it’s easy to practice what you preach and be positive in interviews and in day to day footballing life!

AlwaysLeighton - Yes, fair points, however you have to take some criticisms and negativity on the chin in football as that is part and parcel of the game, Joe seems to blank that out completely and won't entertain it at all. We still do not know why he brought Connor Calcutt on so late in the day against Leiston do we, I'm sure if he had come on ten or fifteen minutes earlier you would have got an equaliser and possibly even a winner as Leiston were very much on the ropes for the whole of the second half.

14 hours ago, Rhodes said:

AlwaysLeighton - Yes, fair points, however you have to take some criticisms and negativity on the chin in football as that is part and parcel of the game, Joe seems to blank that out completely and won't entertain it at all. We still do not know why he brought Connor Calcutt on so late in the day against Leiston do we, I'm sure if he had come on ten or fifteen minutes earlier you would have got an equaliser and possibly even a winner as Leiston were very much on the ropes for the whole of the second half.

I wouldn’t really say that’s the end of the world nor a massive talking point from the game?