Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Leighton Town

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 19:18, Rhodes said:

Clearly nobody knew at that stage that the Bell Close Club would go all the way to the Quarter Final taking care of Burnham Ramblers, London Lions, Gorleston, Norwich CBS and Wolverhampton Sporting Community in later rounds after seeing off Brimscombe & Thrupp and Leverstock Green at Bell Close in qualifying ties:

Photographs from the Leighton Town v Norwich CBS FA Vase Fourth Round tie at Bell Close on 6 January 2018:

Leighton Town v Norwich CBS FAV

Edited by Rhodes

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 11:29, Rhodes said:

I expect that comparisons are being made, or will be when the pubs open again, between Leighton Town's FA Vase runs to the Sixth Round of the competition in both 2017/18 and this season and which was the better of the two

It would be interesting to get Leighton Lad's view on what was the better of Leighton Town's two recent FA Vase runs to the Sixth Round in 2017/18 and 2019/20 as he must have attended a lot of the ties. In 2017/18 Brimscombe & Thrupp (3-1), Leverstock Green (2-0), Burnham Ramblers (1-0), London Lions (1-0), Gorleston (4-2), Norwich CBS (5-2) and Wolverhampton Sporting Community (4-3) were taken care of before they fell 1-0 to 1874 Northwich at Bell Close and this season Bugbrooke St Michaels (3-0), Long Crendon (5-2), Hadleigh United (2-1), FC Broxbourne Borough (6-1), Eastbourne Town (2-1), Eynesbury Rovers (4-3) and Bradford Town (3-1) were put to the sword before Corinthian played out of their skins to win 4-3 at Gay Dawn Farm on 7 March.

9 hours ago, Rhodes said:

In 2017/18 Brimscombe & Thrupp (3-1), Leverstock Green (2-0), Burnham Ramblers (1-0), London Lions (1-0), Gorleston (4-2), Norwich CBS (5-2) and Wolverhampton Sporting Community (4-3) were taken care of before they fell 1-0 to 1874 Northwich at Bell Close

Photographs and match report from the FA Vase Third Round tie at Eastern Counties League Premier Division Gorleston on 2 December 2017 which Leighton Town won 4-2 with two goals each from Tom Silford and Lewis McBride:

https://www.leightontownfc.co.uk/teams/11587/match-centre/0-3909925/report

Gorleston v Leighton Town FAV

Leighton Town had a very disappointing FA Cup Preliminary Round exit in 2017/18 at the hands of Hellenic League Premier Division Tuffley Rovers at Bell Close on 19 August 2017. Having led 2-0 at the break and looking more than comfortable with just ten minutes remaining, Tuffley Rovers somehow managed to turn it around to win 3-2 with two goals in stoppage time:

Leighton Town v Tuffley Rovers FA Cup

Photographs from Leighton Town v Berkhamsted in a SSML Premier Division fixture on 13 March 2018 which resulted in a 0--0 stalemate, Berkhamsted were promoted to the Southern League Division One East despite finishing second to Welwyn Garden City that 2017/18 season, Leighton Town finished fourth:

Leighton Town v Berkhamsted SSMFLP

Photographs from Leighton Town v Crawley Green in a SSML Premier Division fixture at Bell Close on 28 January 2018 which Leighton Town won 3-2 with goals from Lea Coulter and a brace from Lorrel Smith, I wonder what the Leighton Town player's gesture means:

https://www.leightontownfc.co.uk/teams/11587/match-centre/0-3734159/photos

Leighton Town v Crawley Green SSMLP

A different and better album to that posted earlier with nearly 200 photographs from the Leighton Town v 1874 Northwich FA Vase Sixth Round tie at Bell Close on 24 February 2018 which 1874 Northwich won 1-0:  

Leighton Town v 1874 Northwich

A different album to that posted earlier with over 200 photographs from the Wolverhampton Sporting Community v Leighton Town FA Vase Fifth Round tie on 10 February 2018 which Leighton Town won 4-3 in thrilling fashion:  

Wolverhampton Sporting CFC v Leighton Town

Edited by Rhodes

Not the SSML but 200 photographs from Corinthian Casuals v Leighton Town on 21 October 2014 in a FA Trophy Preliminary Round Replay which Leighton Town won 3-1, after a thrilling 3-3 draw at Bell Close, and when the Club were in the Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central. Despite going a goal behind on the night, Phil Draycott equalised shortly before the interval and Danny Watson netted a brace in the second period: 

http://www.corinthian-casuals.com/match-reports1/category/leighton-town#

Corinthian-Casuals 1 Leighton Town 3 FA Trophy Preliminary Round Replay

Again not the SSML but over 350 photographs from Southend Manor v Leighton Town on 15 October 2011 in a 2011/2012 FA Cup Third Qualifying Round tie which Southend Manor won 5-0 after Leighton Town, who were then an Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central Club, had dispatched Uxbridge, Abingdon United and Hatfield Town from the competition, all at Bell Close: 

Southend Manor 5 Leighton Town 0 FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round

YouTube action from the above Southend Manor v Leighton Town FA Cup Third Qualifying Round tie on 15 October 2011 which Essex Senior League Southend Manor surprisingly won 5-0 against the Bell Close Club who were a Step higher: 

• 3 weeks later...

For some totally unknown reason Leighton Town have 'adopted' the German team FC Union Berlin who were promoted to the Bundesliga last season for the first time in their 54 year history under that name although the Club have origins going back to 1906 when they were originally known as FC Olympia 06 Oberschöneweide and then changed their name slightly to SC Union 06 Oberschöneweide in 1910. During the dark days of the long Cold War era, following WWII, the Club were based in the East Berlin sector of the City and joined the common German League structure upon reunification of the Country in 1990, their home ground is the 22,000 capacity 'Stadion An der Alten Försterei' and has been their home since becoming FC Union Berlin in 1966 and prior to that since August 1920 when it was opened:

Billede

Edited by Rhodes

On 02/05/2020 at 08:55, Rhodes said:

It would be interesting to get Leighton Lad's view on what was the better of Leighton Town's two recent FA Vase runs to the Sixth Round in 2017/18 and 2019/20 as he must have attended a lot of the ties. In 2017/18 Brimscombe & Thrupp (3-1), Leverstock Green (2-0), Burnham Ramblers (1-0), London Lions (1-0), Gorleston (4-2), Norwich CBS (5-2) and Wolverhampton Sporting Community (4-3) were taken care of before they fell 1-0 to 1874 Northwich at Bell Close and this season Bugbrooke St Michaels (3-0), Long Crendon (5-2), Hadleigh United (2-1), FC Broxbourne Borough (6-1), Eastbourne Town (2-1), Eynesbury Rovers (4-3) and Bradford Town (3-1) were put to the sword before Corinthian played out of their skins to win 4-3 at Gay Dawn Farm on 7 March.

New to this forum, but would say with ease, that this ‘seasons’ FA Vase run has been far better than that of 17/18. Admittedly, I wasn’t following Leighton as closely (week in/week out) as I am now and haven’t missed a game this season, however, if you look at some of the attendance figures, it shows just how mighty this season’s run was. Last 64 (Round 3) game, against Eastbourne at home, 426 in attendance. The Round 4 game against Norwich CBS saw just 251 at Bell Close! 

The Northwich game lives long in the memory for the attendance and being at home despite losing, but the whole run with great moments with last minute winners, comebacks, great performances, lots of goals, atmospheres at many rounds, it certainly was the better of the 2 in my opinion. 

Not only that, but the club has a brilliant feel around it at the moment and attendances continue to increase, down to the performances on the pitch as well as hard work off of it by many at the club! 

11 hours ago, AlwaysLeighton said:

New to this forum, but would say with ease, that this ‘seasons’ FA Vase run has been far better than that of 17/18. Admittedly, I wasn’t following Leighton as closely (week in/week out) as I am now and haven’t missed a game this season, however, if you look at some of the attendance figures, it shows just how mighty this season’s run was. Last 64 (Round 3) game, against Eastbourne at home, 426 in attendance. The Round 4 game against Norwich CBS saw just 251 at Bell Close! 

The Northwich game lives long in the memory for the attendance and being at home despite losing, but the whole run with great moments with last minute winners, comebacks, great performances, lots of goals, atmospheres at many rounds, it certainly was the better of the 2 in my opinion. 

Not only that, but the club has a brilliant feel around it at the moment and attendances continue to increase, down to the performances on the pitch as well as hard work off of it by many at the club! 

Always good to see new posters on here ?

Keep posting ?

10 hours ago, AlwaysLeighton said:

I will do! Have stumbled across the forum a few times looking at bits and pieces this season, thought it was only right to finally take the plunge and sign up! ?

Good stuff.

it's still not a bad little forum that has recovered in the last year after a couple of years where it was pretty much dead on here.

AlwaysLeighton - Nice to have you onboard, I won't warn you off about a certain match Official who posts on here as he rarely, if at all, Officiates at Bell Close but may have been on Leighton Town games at places like Harefield United, Oxhey Jets, Harpenden Town, Edgware Town, Wembley, London Colney and North Greenford United. I take it you have noticed that your excellent Manager posts on here which is great and he's so honest, genuine and down to earth, unlike some Managers, I was really interested to hear his reasoning behind your appalling start in the League this season and your goalkeeper crisis at the Club which I wasn't aware of, also why he took Archie McClelland off at Corinthian shortly before they made it 3-3 which seemed to be a turning point in the game, what was your take on that out of interest as you were there. Would you say that Danny Webb was a bit off colour at Corinthian and wasn't his normal imposing self, do you think that was down to him playing ninety minutes against Aylesbury Vale Dynamos the Tuesday before as he was on fire that night scoring a hat trick, surely that would have been better saved for the FA Vase tie.

Rhodes - I actually didn’t know Joe posted on here, but you are right, extremely down to earth and very honest! 

I personally thought it was the wrong decision to take Archie off in my opinion. But, whether he had stayed on or not would that have meant we would’ve won? Who knows. However, for me, defending a 3-2 lead, I’d prefer Archie on the pitch than Kieran Turner. 

I would actually say Danny was very good. He maybe wasn’t his 9-10/10 self he usually is, but he was an easy 8 for me. Not only did he score, but single handedly created our 3rd goal. He was a handful throughout for Corinthian’s backline. I don’t think playing on the Tuesday against Aylesbury affected him on the Saturday, he’s played the most out of every Town player this ‘season’!

Despite losing the game, it was a great day out and fingers crossed we’ll go even further one day!  

Think it a bit harsh to be critical in any way in regards to Danny, always worth noting that o good paced forward player is only as good as the quality of forward pass that he is getting in a game.  Worth noting that sometimes when forwards at any club seem on the surface to be having a quiet game, it could be dependent on the middle battle for the ball,, and who is coming out on top on the 2nd ball wins. 

Danny was on 42 goals when the season was stopped, he was well on target to be in the high 50s, which would have put him 2nd best scoring record in the spartan, behind the amazing season a while back from Lewis putman at oxhey, where I think he Was in the 70s, which was incredible. 

3 hours ago, Joes said:

Danny was on 42 goals when the season was stopped, he was well on target to be in the high 50s, which would have put him 2nd best scoring record in the spartan, behind the amazing season a while back from Lewis putman at oxhey, where I think he Was in the 70s, which was incredible. 

What a good player Danny Webb is he would have ended up with 50+ goals no probs.

Is Danny Webb home grown? What's his other club history?

Yes Lewis Putnam was amazing in the 2012/13 season for Oxhey Jets FC where he scored 80 goals ? he also scored 28 goals the season before and 21 goals the season before that he was a top striker back in the day and a game changer he was that good. I would love to see Puts return home to Oxhey Jets FC.