Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Margate V ETFC

Raingod

Puts us back in the picture.   One swallow doesn't make a summer.    Interesting our home record is worse than away.   Historically it's the other way round.    Guess a clean sheet always helps.... Not had mnay this year have we?

Moaners?   Guess you're happy with some of the poor stuff we've played this year? 

Praise when it's due.      Critique when it's not. 

Calm down a bit BTG a fantastic result but doesn’t yet erase the memory of what’s gone on before ... credit where it’s due like DJ said and yes it gives the pro Leese supporters a little time to feel smug but I’m certainly not going to change my views till I see a consistent performance week in week out....

I saw the teamsheet on Twitter before falling asleep (don't misinterpret - purely time difference). On paper, the starting 11 wasn't as strong as against Cray which made waking up to this result all the sweeter!

We're so inconsistent I genuinely have no idea how we're going to play these days. It must drive the management team absolutely up the wall. But important we praise the team when they turn in a performance like this.

Now for Mr. Leese to bottle up whatever magic was sprayed around the dressing room last night, seal and re-spray this Saturday for the Hornchrch away game.  Good luck!!!!!!!

Reading through the Margate forums, sounds like they had one of the games when they were simply awful and we caught them on a bad day. 
The fact we are so shocked by this result ourselves says it all really in terms of the big picture

Very happy with the result (and the clean sheet), and clearly praise is due in the same what that criticism is due when we lose, but agree that it's nowhere near time to celebrate a turnaround. We need to find some consistency in our performances - I'd honestly expect us to struggle against Hornchurch at the weekend, so wouldn't be inclined to read too much into that unless we lose by a big margin and really play badly.

Was anyone on here at the game and able to comment on how we played? Accept that Margate may have had an off day, but there are usually two sides to the story, and it might have been that we were sharp and performed well enough to stop them from playing. I'm a big fan of Livings, personally think that he deserves a run in the side, as he's comfortable on the ball, is decent positionally and makes good decisions. If we retain possession, we aren't going to constantly be defending for our lives, and shipping loads of goals.

Wow, what a performance, where did that come from? Not many of us were expecting that, especially when we saw the team without the likes of Sam Hatton, Sam Youngs and Ken Charles (and Mario Noto also unavailable from the bench).

What we saw was an assured professional outing, 3 good goals (touch of handball for the second?) and, most pleasingly, a clean sheet! Hard to believe that was, I think, our 9th clean sheet of the season but our first for over 2 months.

All the boys put in a real shift on a cold night - stand out performers for me were Junior Mubayi (a really mature performance) and Nathan Livings, but I also heard others giving their personal MoM to Lyle Della-Verde and Ryan Blackman and there were others who had great games too. Crucially, everybody played their part and the management deserve their own congratulations after a lot of recent criticism. Andy Leese was very quick to point out this counts for nothing if we don't do it again against Hornchurch on Saturday (who, by the way, lost last night - we're now 1 point off the play-offs, so everything to play for!). 

One final point - a lot of us air our opinions on here, and are right to do so, but let's have a thought for the level of commitment put in by players, management team, directors, volunteers and supporters on behalf of our club. The team coach got back to the stadium at just before 1am last night and everybody then had their own onward journeys, with many needing to get up for work this morning. I've been able to enjoy Premier League football more than most this year but, not for the first time this season, last night left me proud to be an Enfield Town supporter. I only wish more people would join us to experience the highs (and lows) of non-league football. 

I really do believe that everyone on here are true town supporters and most go back like myself over forty years supporting Enfield.... I also believe that everyone respects and appreciates all the work that gets put in... the only devising factor is what goes on on the pitch... that is what will get punters through the gate nothing else... the recent poor gates tells the club that unless the people are entertained on a Saturday afternoon and the odd Tuesday then they won’t turn up and their money and support will be lost... At the end of the day performances lie with the manager... it’s the same every league in the world we are no different because we are non league... if Andy can help produce the goods on the pitch everyone will be delighted crowds and income will rise and this club could start being more ambitious.....

After the disappointment of last weeks two home defeats, our excellent performance last night, on a cold evening down on the Kent coast, will have delighted the loyal Town faithful, and rewarded the many supporters who put in many hours work at the QE2 Stadium every season without pay, for the benefit of our Club.

This result will have lifted the spirits of everyone (well almost everyone) at the Club. It is not often Margate lose at home by a three-goal margin, so our guys must have put in a good shift, and thoroughly deserved their victory. So all credit and praise to them, and Andy and his management team. Well done also to our supporters who made the journey, and got home to bed at an unearthly hour, before an early start for work today.

Let's hope we can push-on and build on this result when we visit Hornchurch at the weekend. It will be another tough encounter, but our away form is marginally better than our home, and our guys will travel with renewed confidence and belief after our performance and win at Margate.  Keep the faith!   COYT

15 hours ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

BTG, I have always said a wins  a win and we all should be pleased. But I believe we have to play away at the majority of those teams above us. Let's see how we get on then take stock.

By my reckoning we have to play three of the six teams currently above us away from home, folkestone, Hornchurch, Horsham. And one of the top 6 at home Worthing. 

That gives us twelve games against teams currently lower than us, six home six away. 

Very solid performance last night and very enjoyable. 
Our two latest signings Lyle and Josh are quality players. Well done Andy and co for bringing them to our club. No mean achievement as we were informed at the AGM we are operating on a reduced budget for the second successive year. And Junior - “one of our own” improves with every game ?

10 minutes ago, Richard Katemon said:

Very solid performance last night and very enjoyable. 
Our two latest signings Lyle and Josh are quality players. Well done Andy and co for bringing them to our club. No mean achievement as we were informed at the AGM we are operating on a reduced budget for the second successive year. And Junior - “one of our own” improves with every game ?

Yes a great performance and an even greater result. 

When I asked what our playing budget was at the start of the season I was left a bit taken aback by what I was told. The  quality of players Andy and his team have been able to attract to the club with this reduced budget is really suprising (good job Andy & co) I have been very impressed by Juniors performances, great to see him getting deserved starts now. Showing future  Academy scheme members what is possible with hard work. 

COYT

Sorry W72,  but then perhaps, I should have said we have to play 4 out of 6 teams .

But then if we assume that having to play East Thurruck Home /Away, who have 3 games in hand and only 3 points less than us, by the law of averages, should we not considered them at least on a parity with us. Unless you feel strongly they will lose the next 3 games and we win all of ours. That would make it 5 against 7. But all of this is pure conjecture..  All we can do is to continue to win.

I too am pleased that AL is willing to utilise some of our younger players. I have been requesting this for some time. But wonder if it will only be when he is forced to do so in the absence of others

As for AT, I agree with his point about livings. I have always believed he would enhance the midfield for the reason that he states.

We will just have to wait and see as each week bring a new scenario.

Archived