Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

AFC Hornchurch v EnfieldTown

seemgee

Yes, a very disappointing result for the Town this afternoon, against a club who poached a number of our best players last season, and were League favourites for promotion at the start of the campaign, due to their funding and ability to offer high wages, to attract top non-league talent.

I wasn't personally at the match today so it is very difficult to comment on where it all went so badly wrong in the first half. Just a few days back, we went to Margate, kept a clean sheet, and won 3-0. A commendable performance and result. Today it was always going to be a challenging match, against a very good side, and that is the way it turned out. Clearly, there are lessons to be learnt from todays reverse, and everyone will expect to see big improvement when we face Bognor Regis at the QEII Stadium next weekend. I will be up to see that one for myself, and to show support for our Club. 

The highlight was the corner where their attacker was unchallenged in our six yard box .... We can all moan all we like but the managers position is as safe as houses unless he resigns and I can’t see that.... the real worry for everyone will be the further reduced budget next season due to the reduction in crowds because of afternoons like this ....

I finally got out and was taken to Hornchurch. If nothing else I saw for myself what people have been complaining about for weeks. What I saw was a good resolute well drilled side. Obviously knowing what their game plan was. With quick forwards who were not easily knocked of the ball. Some much for the home side!!!

The Town, however, I saw several good players having been reduced to look like poor ones, not necessarily by the opposition, but due to the complete ineptness of AL and so called coaching staff. At times it was hard to detect who was playing where!!

Against a strong wind I saw players trying to make 40 to 50yd passes to BB with 3 players surrounding and no support within sight. Which sums up AL ethos to how he wants the team to play, no matter what he might say in the bar afterwards. The fact that the team improved slightly with the wind in their favour in the second half had to be expected. But their finishing was poor no doubt was due to their humiliation in the first half.

An observation I have continually raised over the period of AL's tenure is that he is obviously very conditioned by the length of players CV's. Does he not ever ask why so many clubs in such a short space in time.

I often wonder if he would be interest in a making a space for someone who played for Walthamstow Ave,  Frinchley, a long side George Robb ( Who???... old Spurs and England fans will know  ) and Bristol City. Perhaps his CV is to short  for AL. Oh yes ...... he is now entering his late 80s.... probably not, but then he might perhaps he might be a bit too speedy for him. 

The only thing that comes out of today is his luck in so many clubs around us losing today

To be honest I’m not quite sure where our club is at at the present... I wish the chairman or board members would come out and say whether promotion at this point would be in the clubs interest or not... is the club satisfied with mid table safety for the time being and consider the management set up the cheapest way of securing this.... I would love to see BQ back as I liked the way he set out his teams but if the wages are too big a problem then I will have to understand and accept where we stand....the club have to get the balance right between cheap safety and little entertainment or invest more in the management and getting the best out of the players we can afford.... 

Theo that's exactly the argument I put forward a couple of season ago. I have now come to the conclusion that the senior football team forms only part of the overall structure of the organisation as a whole. If true then it would be acceptable if only we were informed that this is the plan.  

Also where management is concerned I am also naturally suspicious of the motives of people who work for nothing. It is not usual for for football managers to be so philanthropic. That's the cynic in me.

As for BQ I would also welcome him back but I believe it was announced recently that he had taken up another appointment. After all he did achieve leading Braintree back to the National Premier League. Even though they proved not quite up to the task of staying up. But I am sure there are other young would be managers out there waiting for their first chance. At least they would bring with them some up to date ideas.

And look what Brad has managed to do at Welling.

Ok he signed a few but it's basically the same squad and he has turned it around.

It's called motivation.

Yesterday our manager responded to a chorus by our fans at half time of this is embarrasing by giving a double thumbs up arrogance at it's best.

That's why a majority of Towner fans cant warm to him.

The atmosphere at the end was quite toxic and it could be the start of the board/management v fans split imo.

Things ain't good. 

Not much positive to take from yesterday's game which I'm sure has left us all a bit down after the high of Tuesday night.

We were simply beaten by a better team and our defensive frailties were as evident as ever. The second half was certainly better than the first - couldn't really have been worse - and Hornchurch probably took their foot off the gas. Makes it difficult to argue that this year's squad is better than last year's when we were so comprehensively outplayed by a team containing four of our ex-players. I'm sure AL would tell us that there are things behind the scenes that supporters are not always aware of and that he feels this squad gels better - this needs to translate to consistent performances on the pitch. 

Difficult day for our new striker, Shaun Okojie, to come into - particularly as were 4-0 down when he came on after only about half an hour! He only signed on Friday night so I suspect he didn't even know most of the players. Remains to be seen whether he'll improve the team.

Ambition of the club continues to be questioned by some, which I understand. I do think the board have made it clear - the Chairman explicitly on a recent radio show - that promotion is the aim. Some have said, I think a little unfairly, that the club have only stuck with AL because he's cheap. Finances are, though, a reality and it's clear that we can't afford to pay a manager - finances are going to remain an overriding consideration unless we can bring in much bigger crowds and/or more sponsorship. Amazingly, we are still only 2 points off the play-offs - though my own opinion is that's mainly due to the inconsistency and lack of quality from other teams around us.

We got a reaction to the Cray result at Margate on Tuesday - now need to see a reaction to this one against Bognor Regis on Saturday. COYT!

21 hours ago, littlehampton said:

Ha, Ha, A-W a bad day at the office for the Town this afternoon, but I see Cheshunt are losing 0-2 at home to Leatherhead, so not a lot to smile about eh?

Deffo not mate . As soon as I posted that they rattled two in Lol. ...You see your not the only one who puts the jinx on their team  ?

72 WF made the valid point that if we had to bring in a paid manager plus coaches then the players budget would be reduced but to me the biggest and most important investment is the manager ... like Andyetfc says an organised team that listens is more important than a costly disorganised team... look at Sheffield Utd and Leicester compared to Man Utd .... on the pitch we are absolutely clueless at times and that comes from lack of organisation ... i really do wonder what the tactics are before a match...I just hope the damage being done can be reversed.....