Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  
seemgee

AFC Hornchurch v EnfieldTown

Poaching of players happens throughout football.

I wondered how long it would take for budgets to be mentioned. It's not normally mentioned when we win.

I finally got out and was taken to Hornchurch. If nothing else I saw for myself what people have been complaining about for weeks. What I saw was a good resolute well drilled side. Obviously knowing what their game plan was. With quick forwards who were not easily knocked of the ball. Some much for the home side!!!

The Town, however, I saw several good players having been reduced to look like poor ones, not necessarily by the opposition, but due to the complete ineptness of AL and so called coaching staff. At times it was hard to detect who was playing where!!

Against a strong wind I saw players trying to make 40 to 50yd passes to BB with 3 players surrounding and no support within sight. Which sums up AL ethos to how he wants the team to play, no matter what he might say in the bar afterwards. The fact that the team improved slightly with the wind in their favour in the second half had to be expected. But their finishing was poor no doubt was due to their humiliation in the first half.

An observation I have continually raised over the period of AL's tenure is that he is obviously very conditioned by the length of players CV's. Does he not ever ask why so many clubs in such a short space in time.

I often wonder if he would be interest in a making a space for someone who played for Walthamstow Ave,  Frinchley, a long side George Robb ( Who???... old Spurs and England fans will know  ) and Bristol City. Perhaps his CV is to short  for AL. Oh yes ...... he is now entering his late 80s.... probably not, but then he might perhaps he might be a bit too speedy for him. 

The only thing that comes out of today is his luck in so many clubs around us losing today

To be honest I’m not quite sure where our club is at at the present... I wish the chairman or board members would come out and say whether promotion at this point would be in the clubs interest or not... is the club satisfied with mid table safety for the time being and consider the management set up the cheapest way of securing this.... I would love to see BQ back as I liked the way he set out his teams but if the wages are too big a problem then I will have to understand and accept where we stand....the club have to get the balance right between cheap safety and little entertainment or invest more in the management and getting the best out of the players we can afford.... 

Theo that's exactly the argument I put forward a couple of season ago. I have now come to the conclusion that the senior football team forms only part of the overall structure of the organisation as a whole. If true then it would be acceptable if only we were informed that this is the plan.  

Also where management is concerned I am also naturally suspicious of the motives of people who work for nothing. It is not usual for for football managers to be so philanthropic. That's the cynic in me.

As for BQ I would also welcome him back but I believe it was announced recently that he had taken up another appointment. After all he did achieve leading Braintree back to the National Premier League. Even though they proved not quite up to the task of staying up. But I am sure there are other young would be managers out there waiting for their first chance. At least they would bring with them some up to date ideas.

And look what Brad has managed to do at Welling.

Ok he signed a few but it's basically the same squad and he has turned it around.

It's called motivation.

Yesterday our manager responded to a chorus by our fans at half time of this is embarrasing by giving a double thumbs up arrogance at it's best.

That's why a majority of Towner fans cant warm to him.

The atmosphere at the end was quite toxic and it could be the start of the board/management v fans split imo.

Things ain't good. 

Not much positive to take from yesterday's game which I'm sure has left us all a bit down after the high of Tuesday night.

We were simply beaten by a better team and our defensive frailties were as evident as ever. The second half was certainly better than the first - couldn't really have been worse - and Hornchurch probably took their foot off the gas. Makes it difficult to argue that this year's squad is better than last year's when we were so comprehensively outplayed by a team containing four of our ex-players. I'm sure AL would tell us that there are things behind the scenes that supporters are not always aware of and that he feels this squad gels better - this needs to translate to consistent performances on the pitch. 

Difficult day for our new striker, Shaun Okojie, to come into - particularly as were 4-0 down when he came on after only about half an hour! He only signed on Friday night so I suspect he didn't even know most of the players. Remains to be seen whether he'll improve the team.

Ambition of the club continues to be questioned by some, which I understand. I do think the board have made it clear - the Chairman explicitly on a recent radio show - that promotion is the aim. Some have said, I think a little unfairly, that the club have only stuck with AL because he's cheap. Finances are, though, a reality and it's clear that we can't afford to pay a manager - finances are going to remain an overriding consideration unless we can bring in much bigger crowds and/or more sponsorship. Amazingly, we are still only 2 points off the play-offs - though my own opinion is that's mainly due to the inconsistency and lack of quality from other teams around us.

We got a reaction to the Cray result at Margate on Tuesday - now need to see a reaction to this one against Bognor Regis on Saturday. COYT!

4 minutes ago, Wildlife rescue said:

Yesterday our manager responded to a chorus by our fans at half time of this is embarrasing by giving a double thumbs up arrogance at it's best.

why does that no surprise me

Why are we paying players if they don’t do what they should be doing? Rewarding failure? Get players in who listen and do what they are told and then use the extra ££££ to get in a manager who can organise and motivate his players. 

21 hours ago, littlehampton said:

Ha, Ha, A-W a bad day at the office for the Town this afternoon, but I see Cheshunt are losing 0-2 at home to Leatherhead, so not a lot to smile about eh?

Deffo not mate . As soon as I posted that they rattled two in Lol. ...You see your not the only one who puts the jinx on their team  😌

72 WF made the valid point that if we had to bring in a paid manager plus coaches then the players budget would be reduced but to me the biggest and most important investment is the manager ... like Andyetfc says an organised team that listens is more important than a costly disorganised team... look at Sheffield Utd and Leicester compared to Man Utd .... on the pitch we are absolutely clueless at times and that comes from lack of organisation ... i really do wonder what the tactics are before a match...I just hope the damage being done can be reversed.....

4 hours ago, AnfieldTowner said:

Finances are, though, a reality and it's clear that we can't afford to pay a manager - finances are going to remain an overriding consideration unless we can bring in much bigger crowds and/or more sponsorship.  

I am amazed to read the above even if true.

Probably the worst form of publicity you could put out. It certainly going to deter any changes in manager in the near future. One almost concludes that perhaps this is why it has been said...ie, to ensure AL remains!!!! 

Also how do you expect us to deliver more revenue whilst it is widely accepted that AL's type of football is seen by many  supporters as unacceptable to them. If being the case it will hardly encourage more people to pass through the gates. Nor will you have sponsors queuing up to align themselves with a poor product. If not paying a manager is worth alienating your income stream and reducing your chance of increased income I can only say if this is considered the way forward then heaven help us.

This is amplified by WR's quote below. 

4 hours ago, Wildlife rescue said:

4 hours ago, Wildlife rescue said:

Yesterday our manager responded to a chorus by our fans at half time of this is embarrassing by giving a double thumbs up arrogance at it's best.

That's why a majority of Towner fans cant warm to him.

The atmosphere at the end was quite toxic and it could be the start of the board/management v fans split imo.

Things ain't good. 

Thanks for your comment WR. At last someone has at last  recognised what I wrote about AL's attitude to criticism 3 years ago. I refer to your reference to his arrogance!!!  Especially when things aren't going his way. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Without wanting to speak for AT, I suspect that he meant we can't afford to pay a manager and continue to invest as much as we do in the squad - I would have thought that this all comes out of the same pot of money. I do agree with a lot of the sentiment posted above that the manager and coaching team is more important than the squad: a very good manager and coach can achieve a lot with lesser / cheaper players, and conversely it's possible for a manager to underachieve with a stronger squad.

As I said the other day, I didn't expect us to get much from Saturday's game, I think Hornchurch (recent results notwithstanding) are one of a few sides that will definitely finish above us. That said, it sounded like we were awful for most of the first half, and to ship 4 goals in 20 minutes just isn't good enough. No issue with the new striker a) starting on the bench and b) taking time to settle in (think both can be said about Mo when he joined).

Per AT's post, let's hope we bounce back from this one - the playoffs are still possible, although I agree that says far more about the standard of the league than it does about our quality and more importantly our consistency.

2 hours ago, Barney said:

Per AT's post, let's hope we bounce back from this one - the playoffs are still possible, although I agree that says far more about the standard of the league than it does about our quality and more importantly our consistency.

Ok, so let's assume that by some miracle we make the play-offs. Then, by some ridiculous stroke of luck, we win the play-offs and find ourselves promoted. How on earth would AL keep us in the National South?? Attendances are down, so presumably he wouldn't have additional monies to spend on the squad (in fact, might he not even have a reduced budget given the increased travel costs etc?). We aren't exactly setting the world alight in the Isthmian Prem. I have little doubt that AL would lead us to relegation from the league above.

Yes Hornchurch bought three of our players but Parcell is no better than Maluba.. Wright no better than McDonald and Johnson no better than Blackman and as for our defence when we purchased these players the club were delighted with the manager saying he has been following the players for ages... they were all good players when they joined just let down playing for a club that has no formation and no structure....

Difficult to argue with any of the above... TCC I guess the question is: "are the weaker teams in the National South better or worse than the stronger teams in the Isthmian?"... in reality, I don't think we're going to be finding out next season, but you never know :)

29 minutes ago, andyetfc said:

Can’t forget that the next step up would probably mean a new set of ground grading criteria which comes at a cost. Where would that money come from?

The long and the short of it is that we're not ready.

The team/squad isn't good enough, we've not got enough in the bank, and our management isn't up to it.

Guess we'll have to be patient.

1 hour ago, Theodopolous said:

Yes Hornchurch bought three of our players but Parcell is no better than Maluba.. Wright no better than McDonald and Johnson no better than Blackman and as for our defence when we purchased these players the club were delighted with the manager saying he has been following the players for ages... they were all good players when they joined just let down playing for a club that has no formation and no structure....

Actually, four of our players joined the Urchin's, you are forgetting Remi Sutton, who also played against us on Saturday. You say Hornchurch bought three (or was it four?) of our players. With all this talk about finance, I am sure we would all be very interested to know how much Hornchurch paid us for these players? Also, how much did ETFC pay-out for the other players you say we purchased? Please share your information.

I see us on a similar path to that of Wealdstone FC since they lost their ground in 1990-91..It has taken them nearly 30 years to climb back (very slowly) to the National League South..We are less than 20 years into our project.

Edited by lovely stuff

Agree completely LS - this is very much a long game, and if that means spending more time where we are getting the various foundations in place (and by that, I don't just mean the first team side of things), then that's fine with me if it means we're better prepared for the long run.

21 minutes ago, littlehampton said:

Actually, four of our players joined the Urchin's, you are forgetting Remi Sutton, who also played against us on Saturday. You say Hornchurch bought three (or was it four?) of our players. With all this talk about finance, I am sure we would all be very interested to know how much Hornchurch paid us for these players? Also, how much did ETFC pay-out for the other players you say we purchased? Please share your information.

Paid nothing same as we pay for our players. No contract no fee

2 hours ago, andyetfc said:

Can’t forget that the next step up would probably mean a new set of ground grading criteria which comes at a cost. Where would that money come from?

Exactly right. 

From my enquiries we need to increase the seating over the smaller stand, and segregate the away supporters. 

Anyone got a spare 15k knocking around? 

I really wish we could have discussions on here about how to help our club raise more finances, playing tactics ect

And not the same old same old, sack the manager every time we lose or play a long ball. 

COYT

Edited by 72wemblyfinal

50 minutes ago, 72wemblyfinal said:

Exactly right. 

From my enquiries we need to increase the seating over the smaller stand, and segregate the away supporters. 

Anyone got a spare 15k knocking around? 

I really wish we could have discussions on here about how to help our club raise more finances, playing tactics ect

And not the same old same old, sack the manager every time we lose or play a long ball. 

COYT

We should be able to generate more money by being in a higher league.More away fans.More prize money..etc

Could we get a better option than Andy for zero wages? Debatable.Probably not..Could we find better option if we could afford to pay modest wages? Maybe. Probably.

I understand what you are saying W72. But unless the immediate problems aren't addressed the club will find it hard to even stand still but will start digress. Not only as a football club but in it's position within the community. Consequently if this can't be resolved with money then it needs a bold change of personnel in order solve this. 

A philosophy of working for the future is admiral but if you have a weak foundation it is hard to progress. For many it is not about winning and losing, it's how we win or lose. Consequently they find it hard to buy into AL's style of playing. It went out years ago. Supporters want at least some value for their money. This starts with a manager who can inspire his players to play up to their full capabilities. Also with the empathy to encourage the young players to become better players. Unfortunately AL's does not show to me he has this ability. That is if his shouting and gesticulating from the touch line is anything to go by.

As previous posts have said, rather we paid an up and coming young manager with a plan for the future or stay with one who only ability is to acquire players of whom it is said are fantastic acquisitions but who have gone in no time. 

We all care enough for the club to see the club fail because of one man's intransigence. But unless he shows some leadership within the next few weeks I am afraid you will see a slump in gates. With the number of posts saying similar things we cannot all be wrong!!!!!!

Edited by 4wembleyfinals