Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Bognor Regis

seemgee

Initial thoughts: their keeper stopped it from being 5 or 6. Really good performance from him. Best I've seen this season. We played some really good football on the ground. Lewis really made a difference. Great to have him back. Ken's goal was great! I thought he was going to lose it, but he somehow conjured up a bit of magic!

I also think that their goalkeeper kept the score down. I did not understand either substitution, though it seemed to work with the second goal. We were immediately under pressure after the first substitution after we removed our goal scorer.

Thank God this week Dr Jekyll turned up, in the place of Mr Hyde this week, in the form of Lewis Taafe. A midfielder who kept his position and made passes to members of his own team. Which is what some of us have been looking for for some time. I too was surprised at his substitution LS, but assumed after his long lay-off it was precautionary.

The defence was somewhat more tighter than for many weeks although they still keep trying to hit 50yd killer balls when a simpler pass was on. But for once AL and his companions stopped screaming out useless advice.

Of course if it wasn't for their goalie we could have had several more. I did suggested to my companion shortly after Taafes' goal it was time to introduce Charles' pace whilst we had them on the ropes. But later was better than never 

But that said from our point of view it was more entertaining to watch. Subject to injuries I do hope AL does not tinker with the team too much next time out. His first problem is what does he do with Blackman, assuming he is still not under suspension. 

As for the team as a whole so long as  Mr Hyde doesn't immediately return next Tuesday and Saturday we may be in with a chance yet!!!!  

WOW Positive words from 4WF ?... Was racing at Lingfield so typically I missed an improved performance... so what was the real difference in defending today... was there a different set up or was it just our day or was it because of the lack of useless advice coming from the bench leaving players to make their own decisions 

Theo, yes I was happier because we at least showed some idea how to play. As I have said before achieve this and you begin to take some pressure off the defence. It also left Thomas to control better the centre midfield because he had someone near to him to inter pass with. Also as I have said,see quote:

2 hours ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

The defence was somewhat more tighter than for many weeks although they still keep trying to hit 50yd killer balls when a simpler pass was on. 

Urguhart  played quite a part in this as began to organise the back by continually looking across the defensive line.  But one or two of the usual suspects still insisted in long balls when not under pressure. But I can live with that. If I were marking them I would give 8 out 10 for trying but can still do better. I believe that Taafe's midfield display was the undoubted the catalyst that influenced this. I hope he can inspire some of the others to follow suit. If so I will continue to feel a lot more satisfaction. Yes I am a hard man to please!!!!!!

54 minutes ago, Theodopolous said:

WOW Positive words from 4WF ?... Was racing at Lingfield so typically I missed an improved performance... so what was the real difference in defending today... was there a different set up or was it just our day or was it because of the lack of useless advice coming from the bench leaving players to make their own decisions 

The later!!!!

Enjoyed yesterday’s game. Thought we were good value for the win. The players we have added recently have strengthened the team and having Lewis available again is like having another new signing. 
Agreed with the Mom decision- Scott Thomas -he’s often overlooked but makes a great contribution. 
Let’s see where we are at the end of the month. 

Back in December Town travelled to Bognor on a Tuesday evening and lost a IPL match 4-1. Yesterday, with home advantage, we gave a much better account of ourselves at the QE2, and really could (should) have been out of sight by half time.

This was an impressive all-round team performance and, after a goal-less first half, Town were determined to make amends for the Hornchurch reverse, and with their relentless pressure continuing after the interval, goals looked inevitable, and duly arrived from Lewis Taaffe and Ken Charles, to seal an important well deserved home win, which lifted the spirits of the loyal, vocal, Town faithful.

This was The Rocks first defeat in seven games, and an important three points for Town against one of our main play off rivals. Well done all! An afternoon to remember. Enjoy!  UP THE TOWN

Managed to get along to this one, and was very impressed with how we played - considering Bognor were the form side in the league, they didn't look that impressive, although much of that could have been us playing well and not allowing them to get going. As mentioned above Taafe had an excellent game, and showed how much we have missed him whilst injured - his decision making is excellent, and he almost always seems to play the right ball at the right time, either to retain possession, or picking a forward pass when it's on. We looked a lot more balanced with his inclusion - having a genuine wide midfielder rather than a forward playing out of place makes a huge difference. First time I've seen Urquhart play, and again he looks a decent addition, especially as it seems he can play anywhere in the back four - Muleba at centre back gives us a bit more pace through the middle, and Hatton had a decent game apart from a 15 minute patch in the second half which coincided with Bognor having their one period of pressure. No complaints about Thomas getting MoM, he goes about his job very well, breaking up play and retaining possession. Okojie worked hard all game, and is a decent physical presence - I think Bricknell looked better for having a genuine strike partner alongside him.

It really frustrates me that we can put in a performance like this one week, but get hit for 4 another - we clearly are a decent side, and when we get it right, we can compete with anyone, it's just that we don't do it nearly often enough. If we string together some consistent form over the next month or so, then there's no reason why we can't finish 5th, but if we carry on as we have been, I think we'll fall just short. Still very much all to play for, and it makes a nice change to read through the forum without anyone saying that the manager has to go immediately - I just cross my fingers for more of the same on Tuesday (although not holding my breath) ?

Archived