Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Saturday 7 March - Results & Reports

3 hours ago, Rhodes said:
Saturday 7 March
Division One
Buckingham Athletic 4 Bedford 1

A brief Sports Shots report from Stratford Fields and some action:

https://sportsshots.org.uk/2020/03/07/ssmfl-d1-buckingham-athletic-4-bedford-1/

4 hours ago, Rhodes said:
Saturday 7 March
Division Two
Aston Clinton 1 Bovingdon 4

This was a shock wasn't it, Bovingdon, who were second to bottom before play today, winning at fourth place Aston Clinton and warming up nicely for their Anagram Records Trophy Quarter Final next Saturday at Green Lane. This is their first goal and it looks like a new stand is being built at Aston Clinton Park:

Edited by Rhodes

New Roker Park on 24 March which will arguably decide the second promotion spot

Really Rhodes ......... another schoolboy error, there are FOUR automatic promotion places this season

2 minutes ago, Karen Browne said:

New Roker Park on 24 March which will arguably decide the second promotion spot

Really Rhodes ......... another schoolboy error, there are FOUR automatic promotion places this season

In fairness he does say the second, not that it is the only other promotion spot. It’s looking likely that those two will be the ones contesting second place on current form. 

12 hours ago, Rhodes said:
Saturday 7 March
Premier Division
Harefield United 1 London Colney 1

An anorak from another Forum was at Preston Park yesterday:

Spartan South Mids Prem, Att 45
Admission £6 Online prog although teamsheet readily available.
In July 1983 I attended Preston Park with a mate to watch a Middlesex Charity Cup match v Edgware. Having arrived we were advised it was being played at a local sports centre, and went there only for my mate to decide we may be better off going to Ruislip Manor instead, where the hosts were playing Kingsbury Town. After nearly 40 years, I finally got to tick Preston Park, having been thwarted previously by rain offs and accidents on the M25.
London Conley were today’s visitors, bottom of the table, but they led on 3 minutes with a towering header from a right wing corner, and thereafter defended gamely to deny the hosts who dominated but remained vulnerable on the counter. The equaliser came on the half hour with a shot from the edge of the box through a host of players that the keeper should have kept out but failed to hold onto. To be fair he made up for it in the dying stages with an excellent save from a header. Harefield should have won this comfortably but too often took too many touches instead of getting a shot away.
Preston Park is a functional ground with a low slung brick built stand down one side with 150 or so seats in and a large flat piece of covering on the far side between the benches. The remainder is hard uncovered standing. Today I witnessed another ludicrous situation with the pre match handshakes being replaced with, well, the players and officials just walking past each other and no contact due to the Corona virus. Weirdly, at the end of the game there were handshakes all round. I assume by 1650 the threat is now over ?
Why not do away with the before match handshakes anyway irrespective of any virus threat. They mean bugger all anyway.

Saturday 7 March
Division Two
MK Gallacticos 3 Buckingham United 0

An anorak from another Forum was at the North Furzton Sports Ground yesterday:

Spartan South Midlands League, Division Two -
MK Gallacticos 3 Buckingham United 0

Spectator headcount 26 (normal for the game, peaked for a few minutes at 34)
Admission free, no programme, no food available but tea & coffee free, though I wanted to pay and did.
With my Plan A (Tring Corinthians) not answering the phone and MK Gallacticos’ 26-year-old secretary / first team manager Zakir Miah available and helpful straight away, it was a jaunt to Plan B, nestled in a posh suburb of Milton Keynes for this hop.
MK Gallacticos play at the North Furzton Sports Ground, situated down a tidy suburban avenue by a scenic tree-lined walk circling a lake and next to a children’s playground. The venue is basically a ‘rec’ with a couple of pitches, the one nearest the pavilion roped off and with weathered but neatly branded dugouts as the only football furniture. Quite a nice, tranquil setting.

In keeping with the home team’s nickname, the ground facilities are spartan, a kettle providing the refreshment, with one player having muscle rub applied pre-match while laying over the faux-leather chairs by the pool table in the clubhouse! In fairness, the committee and helpers are friendly and the players’ pre-game ambience was buoyant. Spectators can shelter from the elements by standing under the minimal clubhouse overhang or in the pavilion doorway.

With people elsewhere failing the Corona Physical, we started with pre-match elbow pumps instead of handshakes!

Both teams did really well on a boggy and bobbly pitch which could have turned ankles. Gallacticos had the better of the first half, with four fine saves by visiting custodian Harry White keeping the score down. As it was, Gallacticos took a 12th minute lead when a left wing move resulted in a parried shot which Cabdul Mahmoud gobbled up from six feet out. The lead was doubled nine minutes later, when a lovely long pass down the right flank was eventually moved into the area and squared left side forJosh Smith to shoot a low cross-goal 15 yarder into the onion bag.

United played much of the second half with a down-pitch wind in ther favour and enjoyed better fortune, resulting in a penalty on the hour which ranged from soft to dubious and gave the visitors a chance, but Kelvin Osei-Addo skewed his spot kick horribly wide. Gallacticos got a second wind, if you like, and scored their third in the 80th minute when Zakarya Tritor blocked a clearance and, after a bit of ‘to you to me’, arrowed a low cross-net shot in from 12 yards out.

A very basic venue, but plenty of heart and bonhomie. Good luck to them.

Saturday 7 March
Premier Division
Colney Heath 0 Leverstock Green 1

I see late substitute Adiel Mannion netted with pretty much the last kick of the game yesterday to give Leverstock Green an excellent win however I suppose Colney Heath know they are already home and hosed and still nine points clear at the top:

http://levgreenfc.co.uk/event/200307f/

Billede

On 06/03/2020 at 21:12, Rhodes said:

It was only a month ago that Edgware Town came away from Hall Road with a comfortable 2-0 victory so it is unlikely Steve Kuhne, Ash Fuller and Dean Greygoose's men can do likewise at Silver Jubilee Park tomorrow:

Billede

How wrong you are, Edgware were comprehensively beaten and the visitors deservely won, 3 defeats on the spin now for Edgware, need to get back to winning ways on Tuesday 

3 hours ago, GRS67 said:

How wrong you are, Edgware were comprehensively beaten and the visitors deservely won, 3 defeats on the spin now for Edgware, need to get back to winning ways on Tuesday 

GRS67 - Yes, a real coupon buster, it's a funny old game sometimes isn't it as Greavsie always said. I think Steve Kuhne, Ash Fuller and Dean Greygoose were walking a tightrope and had to win yesterday but why did it take them so long although I see  the classy Jordan Brown was back yesterday from suspension and scored, that's him in the thick of the action isn't it:

Billede

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 19:16, Winslow Boy said:

Really poor result for us. 

Winslow Boy - You never know which London Lions is going to turn up on the day do you, they won 1-0 at New Salamis in January:

https://sportsshots.org.uk/2020/03/07/ssmfl-d1-winslow-united-0-london-lions-3/

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 23:23, Karen Browne said:

there are FOUR automatic promotion places this season

Yes, I was aware of that, so it's St Panteleimon, New Salamis, Stotfold and Rayners Lane in other words

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 18:46, Rhodes said:
Saturday 7 March
Premier Division
Baldock Town 0 Biggleswade United 1

A match report from Hitchin Road and interesting post match interview with Biggleswade United's James Bishop:

https://biggleswadeunited.com/Matchreport.aspx?id=328244 

Edited by Rhodes

Saturday 7 March
Premier Division
A match report from Preston Park:

Saturday 7 March
Premier Division
Oxhey Jets 2 Tring Athletic 0

Both sides of this story and photos, Tring Athletic appear to have an extremely young side:

https://www.oxheyjets.com/

https://www.tafc.co.uk/report-r.php?fixture_id=3611

7 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Yes, I was aware of that, so it's St Panteleimon, New Salamis, Stotfold and Rayners Lane in other words

On current form as much as I’d like to I find it hard to argue with this. 

Winslow Boy - I'm sure Karen won't agree, she's a perfectionist by nature who doesn't like predictions or anything uncertain and woolly but, to be fair, that makes her the great fixture Secretary she is. I just think Winslow United will fall short and Rayners Lane are on a fine run at the moment of five successive league wins, as are obviously Stotfold with an incredible eleven wins and a draw from their last twelve league outings. Wouldn't Winslow United have quite a bit of work to do at Elmfields Gate, and expense, to bring it up to the required Step Five standard, the entire perimeter of the pitch is not fenced is it and is there sufficient seating in the small stand.

2 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Winslow Boy - I'm sure Karen won't agree, she's a perfectionist by nature who doesn't like predictions or anything uncertain and woolly but, to be fair, that makes her the great fixture Secretary she is. I just think Winslow United will fall short and Rayners Lane are on a fine run at the moment of five successive league wins, as are obviously Stotfold with an incredible eleven wins and a draw from their last twelve league outings. Wouldn't Winslow United have quite a bit of work to do at Elmfields Gate, and expense, to bring it up to the required Step Five standard, the entire perimeter of the pitch is not fenced is it and is there sufficient seating in the small stand.

My understanding is that the ground and facilities are ready. There is more than enough quality in the Winslow side, performances are not where they need to be and it’s the business end now, it’s still in our hands though. 

On 07/03/2020 at 18:46, Rhodes said:
Saturday 7 March
Premier Division
Edgware Town 0 Eynesbury Rovers 3

Congratulations to beleaguered trio Steve Kuhne, Ash Fuller and Dean Greygoose for getting their first win since being handed the reins at Hall Road following Mark Ducket's sudden departure in early January:

https://eynesburyrovers.co.uk/index.php/2020/03/08/rovers-end-winless-run/

Saturday 7 March
Premier Division
Oxhey Jets 2 Tring Athletic 0
Both sides of this story and photos, Tring Athletic appear to have an extremely young side:

https://www.oxheyjets.com/

https://www.tafc.co.uk/report-r.php?fixture_id=3611

YouTube highlights: