Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Coronavirus

2 hours ago, Theodopolous said:

I find it amazing that the chairman of the isthmian league (probably someone with zero medical experience) decides to ignore expert advice and play Russian roulette with peoples businesses and livelihoods for what has been said little or no impact... 

and your medical experience (apart from going to the doctors !!!!!)

Not really OT it’s just if your going to do something so drastic that it will effect people’s lives businesses and very likely their mental health lets do it because there is no choice.... 5.000 at notts county today and 5.000+ at uttoxeter races as well as huge crowds at kempton and Newcastle.... plus rugby league games going ahead... that’s why it’s a nonsense.... you know as well as me games could have been played today with next to zero risk to health... as long as the players and crowd didn’t hug each other when we scored....

If you’ve lived your life according to the mantra of Bill Shankly, now is a tough time!

2 strands to this post so bear with me:-

1)      What do we all think should happen now to the league season? My own view is that, whenever we can play again, the season should be resumed where it left off. We must complete this season. Looking increasingly like that may be some months down the line so maybe its next season that doesn’t take place, with more cup games and smaller leagues (Champions League style) to take us through. Thoughts? Interesting that Kingstonian have arranged a friendly with Dorking Wanderers this week – in two minds about how sensible this is in the current scenario but currently thinking I’d probably attend if it was us!

2)      Support during the tough times. It was heartbreaking listening to some of the older members of our community on a radio programme last night, facing up to the potential of being told to self-isolate for 4 months. I’m not really in favour of this but I do think we need to listen very carefully to the scientists about how to defeat this terrible virus. What I do know is that, even in isolation, society as a whole needs to ensure that people who may be physically isolated are not mentally isolated too. ETFC is a strong community and I hope that we’ll be able to harness that in some way for the benefit of our fans, particularly the older ones. In the meantime, use the forum (or the direct messaging system within it) if anybody feels the need to stay connected. For once, I hope forum members will allow non football related chat to keep our supporters mentally engaged.

Stay strong everybody. COYT!

‘Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don’t like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.’

Yes, i think the leagues should resume exactly from where they were..Play 3 games a week if necessary once the green light is given.BUT we should not have games played behind closed doors,or fail to finish the season (even if it means adjusting next seasons fixtures.).If the Euros are cancelled then league programs can maybe be finished during the summer.?Would be harder at lower levels because contracts normally expire the week the season ends.And players lower down the leagues are less likely to be loyal to their current club or cancel planned holidays.etc

Ps..Wonder if players on contracts at this level will still be payed during the times the club are not receiving income? Or will they defer until the season hopefully resumes?

Interesting post, AT.

Coronavirus chatter got louder and louder during the 2 weeks I was at home. I flew back to Riyadh on Friday (the 13th - gulp) and contrast what is happening at home, with what is happening here in Saudi.

The LHR-RUH flight I was on turned out to be the second last, Saudi closing its borders on 14 March. Heathrow terminal 4 was very quiet except for the Saudia check-in desks which were besieged with Saudis heeding their government's advice to return before international flights stopped. All passengers had to complete a self-declaration form, including contact details  (and seat number) and hand them over at immigration. I am now in a mandated 14-day self-isolation period and am working from "home". This is compulsory for ALL expatriates returning to KSA from ALL countries. Fortunately I can work from home without too much disruption.

All mass gatherings have been stopped. The only shops open are supermarkets. All schools and universities have been closed for the last two weeks, and will remain closed for the foreseeable future. Restaurants/coffee shops are open only for deliveries i.e. no sitting in. All leisure facilities (gyms, pools, salons,  barbers etc.) are closed.  Hospitals are open (as you would expect) but are starting to fill with people with symptoms. And I am just hearing (not yet confirmed) that the Saudi government has just instructed ALL private companies to close for two weeks. 

I was pretty cynical while back in Enfield and thought most European governments had over-reacted. Now I am not so sure and am nervous that the UK's response is not sufficient. This virus may spread fast and we need to protect the elderly. It hasn't taken hold in KSA to the extent that is has in the UK, but the difference in measures the respective governments are taking is striking.

As for completing this season - I'm more worried about my mum and dad.

I echo your closing comment.

2 hours ago, lovely stuff said:

Ps..Wonder if players on contracts at this level will still be payed during the times the club are not receiving income? Or will they defer until the sea

Why should they ? would any of us if our work is closed tell them not to pay us for a few weeks maybe more after all bills will still need paying

7 minutes ago, exiled down south said:

Why should they ? would any of us if our work is closed tell them not to pay us for a few weeks maybe more after all bills will still need paying

So would the players expect extra payments for the games they might be played after the season.? If so,many clubs might have to play reserve and youth players,as they will not be able to retain their first team players after the end of the normal season.That will be a shambles as rich club owners could keep paying their players (and poach all the good players from all the other teams in the league) for the final 9 games ,or so, of the season.

The 2019-20 season will not be completed. We are talking months before any resumption of competitive football - with or without fans. Just consider for a moment the fact that the Chief Medical Officer has now advised that those aged 70+ avoid social contact for the coming 12 weeks. The virus isn't going to suddenly vanish.

12 minutes ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

The 2019-20 season will not be completed. We are talking months before any resumption of competitive football - with or without fans. Just consider for a moment the fact that the Chief Medical Officer has now advised that those aged 70+ avoid social contact for the coming 12 weeks. The virus isn't going to suddenly vanish.

Then i doubt teams will be promoted or relegated.This season would have to be null and void. (Can you imagine telling Liverpool FC that??) .Just keeping current league positions could result in numerous lawsuits from relegated teams.Or those denied a chance to make the play-off or win the league.

I feel the higher leagues will be finished.If not the talk is of allowing promotions but no relegation's.Making the premier league/championship/first division bigger by two clubs for a couple of seasons.

Alternatively finish the season over the summer or even at the end of the year,and have teams only play each other once each in a shortened 2020-21 season?

Edited by lovely stuff

Over reacting Benj isn’t the word... it’s just the human race going mad.... we know who’s at risk we have been told that the symptoms are mild for %90 of us so why on earth can’t we protect the vulnerable ( it’s absolutely clear who they are ) and the rest get on with living a careful and responsible life.... we are putting our whole country and people’s mental health at risk for a illness that is little worse than the flu.... just concentrate all our efforts on keeping the old and vulnerable safe....

I'm quite a bit more pessimistic about the whole situation - the stark contrast for me is between trying to carry on as normal, keep the economy afloat with relatively minimal disruption, but risk overloading the NHS with cases as it spreads unchecked (which will potentially mean a lot more fatalities that I think most have even considered possible), or to try to delay the spread so that the NHS can cope with the number of patients requiring intensive care, at massive cost to the economy and our way of life. Neither is a good option, it's just a question of which one is least bad.

I genuinely hope that this is all an overreaction, but everything I've read suggests that things will be pretty grim and very different as we move forwards. I suspect this thread will not age well, and that some of the earlier comments will appear rather irrelevant as this continues to unfold.

I think it's a very emotive subject, and there's an awful lot of additional stress on everyone at the moment - I'd suggest that we all might be well advised to take a step back and think before we post. Ultimately at the end of the day, we are (mainly) all Town fans, and I think all good people despite our many disagreements - now is the time to be supportive of each other, and hopefully this forum can be a source of humour/banter as well as keeping the Town collective in touch with each other.

21 minutes ago, Barney said:

I think it's a very emotive subject, and there's an awful lot of additional stress on everyone at the moment - I'd suggest that we all might be well advised to take a step back and think before we post. Ultimately at the end of the day, we are (mainly) all Town fans, and I think all good people despite our many disagreements - now is the time to be supportive of each other, and hopefully this forum can be a source of humour/banter as well as keeping the Town collective in touch with each other.

Sensible words Barney

I have been following the following doctor online for some time,good source of info on Covid19 and what effect its having on the world. 

Stay safe