Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

SSML Legends Where Are They Now?

10 hours ago, tringarmy said:

Just found this sorting out a cupboard. A fair few of the Sun Sports lads went on to play step 3 and 4. This was the second half of the season after a disastrous start. I joined in the October / November when we were rock bottom but by January we’d got a good bit young team together.

Tringarmy - What actually struck me about that team sheet you posted was not the players but I see the great Ben Furneaux was Refereeing, he cut his teeth in the SSML at a very young age and was soaking behind the ears in the beginning, brandishing red and yellow cards like Clive 'the book' Thomas used to back in the day, but I later put him right up there with Mark Clattenburg, he was that good.

Edited by Rhodes

13 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Gosh all these players who had the ability to reach the top but playing step 5 and 6 who’d have thunk it, quite something. 

Winslow Boy - These are mostly players who were brought up on the mean streets of Camden, Islington and Haringey in the 1980's when things were very tough, not leafy Winslow, Buckingham, Stony Stratford, Holmer Green, Aston Clinton and New Bradwell for example. There were many distractions and pitfalls, Josh and Lee Scott were on Arsenal's books for 7 or 8 years with contracts on the table waiting to be signed but if George Graham couldn't tame them then who could. 

Okay, here we go folks, I don't want to just reel off a load of superlatives incase Winslow Boy contradicts me however he may well have played against Lee Scott for Winslow United against Kentish Town in the SSML during 2006/07 or 2007/08. There are no words to actually describe Lee so I won't bother only to say he was with Kentish Town on and off for pretty much all of his football career and bled light and dark blue as did his brother Josh,  I lost count of the comparisons between the two and although Josh went on to bigger and better things with Dagenham & Redbridge I made Lee the far better player:

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sport, grass and outdoor

4 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Winslow Boy - These are mostly players who were brought up on the mean streets of Camden, Islington and Haringey in the 1980's when things were very tough, not leafy Winslow, Buckingham, Stony Stratford, Holmer Green, Aston Clinton and New Bradwell for example. There were many distractions and pitfalls, Josh and Lee Scott were on Arsenal's books for 7 or 8 years with contracts on the table waiting to be signed but if George Graham couldn't tame them then who could. 

Saw Lee Scott play a few times for Bedfont Town FC he was a decent player but not as good as his brother Josh Scott in my opinion.

Edited by Savagebee

1 hour ago, Savagebee said:

Saw Lee Scott play a few times for Bedfont Town FC he was a decent player but not as good as his brother Josh Scott in my opinion.

Lee was decent at Step 6, that’s it. 

3 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Okay, here we go folks, I don't want to just reel off a load of superlatives incase Winslow Boy contradicts me however he may well have played against Lee Scott for Winslow United against Kentish Town in the SSML during 2006/07 or 2007/08. There are no words to actually describe Lee so I won't bother only to say he was with Kentish Town on and off for pretty much all of his football career and bled light and dark blue as did his brother Josh,  I lost count of the comparisons between the two and although Josh went on to bigger and better things with Dagenham & Redbridge I made Lee the far better player:

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sport, grass and outdoor

Wax lyrical as much as you like mate, keep them coming. ?

5 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Sure they had contracts on the table. ?

a good friend of mine was there during that period, same team as Cole, Livermore etc... 

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Lee was decent at Step 6, that’s it. 

You may be right as I only saw Lee Scott play a few times for Bedfont Town FC who were a Step 4 club at the time and from I saw he didn't look out of place playing at Step 4 level but as I said I only saw him play a few times for Bedfont Town FC. I remember him coming across as having a bit of a bad attitude at times though.

Good player at step 6 and 5ish, without setting either league on fire. Most players end up playing the correct level for their ability. These days step 4, 5 and 6 have a lot of mediocre sides in the divisions with only a few good ones so quite a lot of pretty average players have played and do play for clubs across those steps. 

An old fashioned craftsman of the very highest standard with silky skills, Daniel Young, who left no stone unturned in midfield for Kentish Town in the SSML and was impossible to win the ball from, he never once put a foot wrong in a game. An absolutely sublime player, Daniel sadly had other interests and commitments outside of the game but, again, could have easily gone all the way:

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sport and outdoor

Aron Hutchings, the last player in the top row, an old fashioned stopper centre half for Kentish Town in the SSML and often got compared to Ron Yeats at Liverpool, absolutely fearless and rarely, if at all, got beaten in the air. Aron had a happy go lucky demeanor and was also a regular on the Islington Midweek League circuit at Market Road playing with his close circle of chums, had he applied himself better then the sky would have undoubtedly been the limit for him:

90928283_508007893217450_456292429264322

Ex Tokyngton Manor FCCockfosters FC and Edgware Town FC Striker Bilal Butt is playing for Old Southall FC in the Middlesex County Football League (Sundays) Premier Division.

Bilal Butt scored 21 goals in 12 games this season.

Old fashioned centre back Liam McDevitt was with Royston Town in the SSML Premier Division during 2010/11, the season before they won the Championship and were promoted to the Evo Stik Southern League Central Division, he played just eight games for the Crows before leaving to join Barton Rovers later that season and stayed at Sharpenhoe Road for three years or so before briefly returning to Garden Walk and going back to Barton Rovers yet again. More recently Liam has had brief spells with St Ives Town, St Neots Town, Biggleswade Town and is currently plying his trade with Hayes & Yeading as Captain in the BetVictor Southern League Premier South Division, the 30 year old cannot seem to stay with any one Club for a lengthy period of time. He started his career at Stevenage  Borough in 2006 before moving to Hitchin Town for three seasons and then joining Royston Town in their SSML heyday, a good solid player who was liked by legendary Royston Town supremo Paul Attfield:

Liam McDevitt Image

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 15:02, Savagebee said:

Saw Lee Scott play a few times for Bedfont Town FC he was a decent player but not as good as his brother Josh Scott in my opinion

Savagebee - It's not often I disagree with you as you're so knowledgeable but on this occasion I have to as I really don't think Josh could hold a candle to his brother Lee despite reaching headier heights in their respective careers. Lee was lightening quick and I think could run 100 metres in 12.5 seconds despite only ever being half fit as McDonalds was his second home, maybe that's where George Graham went wrong and it would have been interesting had Arsène Wenger been at Highbury in the late 80's when Josh and Lee were there 

33 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Old fashioned centre back Liam McDevitt was with Royston Town in the SSML Premier Division during 2010/11, the season before they won the Championship and were promoted to the Evo Stik Southern League Central Division, he played just eight games for the Crows before leaving to join Barton Rovers later that season and stayed at Sharpenhoe Road for three years or so before briefly returning to Garden Walk and going back to Barton Rovers yet again. More recently Liam has had brief spells with St Ives Town, St Neots Town, Biggleswade Town and is currently plying his trade with Hayes & Yeading as Captain in the BetVictor Southern League Premier South Division, the 30 year old cannot seem to stay with any one Club for a lengthy period of time. He started his career at Stevenage  Borough in 2006 before moving to Hitchin Town for three seasons and then joining Royston Town in their SSML heyday, a good solid player who was liked by legendary Royston Town supremo Paul Attfield:

Liam McDevitt Image

34 games and 1 goal this season for Hayes & Yeading United FC.

A very decent player.

15 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - It's not often I disagree with you as you're so knowledgeable but on this occasion I have to as I really don't think Josh could hold a candle to his brother Lee despite reaching headier heights in their respective careers. Lee was lightening quick and I think could run 100 metres in 12.5 seconds despite only ever being half fit as McDonalds was his second home, maybe that's where George Graham went wrong and it would have been interesting had Arsène Wenger been at Highbury in the late 80's when Josh and Lee were there 

Nah for me Josh was the better of the Scott brothers in my opinion. Josh Scott had a superb last season for Hayes & Yeading United FC where he scored 25 goals in 46 games in the Conference South when they went up via the play offs and he had a very decent first season for Dagenham & Redbridge FC in Division Two where he scored 16 goals in 46 games.

Everyone to there own opinion though.

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 16:23, Winslow Boy said:

Sure they had contracts on the table. ?

a good friend of mine was there during that period, same team as Cole, Livermore etc... 

Winslow Boy - Do you mean Shaka Cole, fourth player from the right in the back row of this 2006/2007 SSML season Kentish Town team photo, I don't want to go too over board but he was arguably the finest of the lot. His best position was midfield and he would battle tirelessly for you all day long and leave nothing out on the pitch, you're old enough to remember Brian Talbot of Ipswich and Arsenal so just times his work rate by ten and that's Shaka Cole in a nut shell.

Edited by Rhodes

48 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Winslow Boy - Do you mean Shaka Cole, fourth player from the right in the back row of this 2006/2007 SSML season Kentish Town team photo, I don't want to go too over board but he was arguably the finest of the lot. His best position was midfield and he would battle tirelessly for you all day long and leave nothing out on the pitch, you're old enough to remember Brian Talbot of Ipswich and Arsenal so just times his work rate by ten and that's Shaka Cole in a nut shell.

Hahaha, you are good. No, perhaps I wasn’t clear, my friend was at Arsenal with Ashley Cole and Livermore among others. Was signed from Luton youth by George Graham and was there under Wenger early years, won player of the tournament one summer at Ajax playing against Ajax, AC Milan and Barcelona, he also features on a video of Arsenal greatest goals when he scored in an FA youth cup tie. He wasn’t offered a contract and after some poor advice from his agent he turned down several good moves here and abroad and eventually ended up packing it in after a few years playing non league. 

Edited by Winslow Boy

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hahaha, you are good. No, perhaps I wasn’t clear, my friend was at Arsenal with Ashley Cole and Livermore among others. Was signed from Luton youth by George Graham and was there under Wenger early years, won player of the tournament one summer at Ajax playing against Ajax, AC Milan and Barcelona, he also features on a video of Arsenal greatest goals when he scored in an FA youth cup tie. He wasn’t offered a contract and after some poor advice from his agent he turned down several good moves here and abroad and eventually ended up packing it in after a few years playing non league. 

What a great left back Ashley Cole was eh.

31 minutes ago, Savagebee said:

What a great left back Ashley Cole was eh.

Started out as a centre forward, converted to left back reasonably late on as an academy player at the gooners. He went on to be absolutely world class as a left back.