Jump to content
Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  
Savagebee

RETURN TO FOOTBALL - THE MIDDLESEX FOOTBALL FAMILY

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Savagebee said:

Not my sort of ground though 😀 It's to neat and tidy and there's way to much tarmac and concrete 😂

What about Church Road, was that your sort of ground:

BilledeBillede

Edited by Rhodes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

What about Church Road, was that your sort of ground:

BilledeBillede

100% yes went there for many years 👍 Loved that place.

Supported Hayes FC then Hayes & Yeading United FC but finished with the club when they buried Church Road to play home games at Woking FC 😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Savagebee - Do you remember when Hounslow Town got to the Final of the FA Amateur Cup Final in 1961/62 drawing 1-1 with Crook Town at Wembley on Saturday 14 April 1962 and losing the replay 4-0 at Ayresome Park the following Saturday (programmes below). I wonder why the replay was played in Middlesbrough of all places, also Hounslow Town's Semi Final against Bishops Auckland on Saturday 24 March 1962, which they won 2-1, was played at Griffin Park. As a result of their exploits in the Amateur Cup they were surprisingly given direct entry to the FA Cup First Round proper the following 1962/63 campaign losing 9-2 in a replay at Mansfield Town after a thrilling 3-3 draw at Denbigh Road:

Image may contain: 9 people1962 FA Amateur Cup FINAL CROOK TOWN v HOUNSLOW TOWN 14th Aprildbimage.asp?S=FrontSmall&ID=78667
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - Do you remember when Hounslow Town got to the Final of the FA Amateur Cup Final in 1961/62 drawing 1-1 with Crook Town at Wembley on Saturday 14 April 1962 and losing the replay 4-0 at Ayresome Park the following Saturday (programmes below). I wonder why the replay was played in Middlesbrough of all places, also Hounslow Town's Semi Final against Bishops Auckland on Saturday 24 March 1962, which they won 2-1, was played at Griffin Park. As a result of their exploits in the Amateur Cup they were surprisingly given direct entry to the FA Cup First Round proper the following 1962/63 campaign losing 9-2 in a replay at Mansfield Town after a thrilling 3-3 draw at Denbigh Road:

Image may contain: 9 people1962 FA Amateur Cup FINAL CROOK TOWN v HOUNSLOW TOWN 14th Aprildbimage.asp?S=FrontSmall&ID=78667
 

Well before my time Rhodes 😀 and I never had the pleasure of watching Hounslow Town FC play 😞 but I did watch them play when they merged with Feltham FC to become Feltham & Hounslow Borough FC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Savagebee - I take it that you know the legendary Stephen Hosmer from the Middlesex County FA, he is part of the furniture there, this is an interesting article and presumably he registers Hounslow Town every year with his own money. Stephen was with the youth team at Denbigh Road when the Club sadly left the ground and merged with Feltham, he gives the background story to that time in the article where Hounslow Council had set their sights on the prime piece of town centre real estate as the ground was Council owned and that was the beginning of the end for the Club who had some outstanding debts. Here is some rare YouTube footage of their last ever game at Denbigh Road in April 1991 against Almondsbury Picksons in the Hellenic League Premier Division and before merging with Feltham for the following season to become Feltham & Hounslow Borough and placed in the lowly Diadora Isthmian League Division Three due to the merger. The new Club finished sixteenth and then bottom the following 1992/93 campaign when they met Aldershot Town who were starting their way back up the Pyramid after being the first Football League team to fold during a season since Accrington Stanley, there were two large crowds at the Recreation Ground in Aldershot and at The Orchard in Hatton Road:

https://www.mylondon.news/sport/other-sport/meet-man-keeping-hounslow-towns-5985929

 

Edited by Rhodes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - I take it that you know the legendary Stephen Hosmer from the Middlesex County FA, he is part of the furniture there, this is an interesting article and presumably he registers Hounslow Town every year with his own money. Stephen was with the youth team at Denbigh Road when the Club sadly left the ground and merged with Feltham, he gives the background story to that time in the article where Hounslow Council had set their sights on the prime piece of town centre real estate as the ground was Council owned and that was the beginning of the end for the Club who had some outstanding debts. Here is some rare YouTube footage of their last ever game at Denbigh Road in April 1991 against Almondsbury Picksons in the Hellenic League Premier Division and before merging with Feltham for the following season to become Feltham & Hounslow Borough and placed in the lowly Diadora Isthmian League Division Three due to the merger. The new Club finished sixteenth and then bottom the following 1992/93 campaign when they met Aldershot Town who were starting their way back up the Pyramid after being the first Football League team to fold during a season since Accrington Stanley, there were two large crowds at the Recreation Ground in Aldershot and at The Orchard in Hatton Road:

https://www.mylondon.news/sport/other-sport/meet-man-keeping-hounslow-towns-5985929

 

Cheers Rhodes I will have a watch of that later 👍

They built a School where the ground was 😞

Edited by Savagebee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also watched Hounslow Borough FC play a few times another Hounslow footy club that also folded.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hounslow_Borough_F.C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Savagebee - I thought that you might like to see some excellent photographs from the 2014/15 Middlesex FA Senior Challenge Cup Final between Hanwell Town and Harrow Borough played at Hampton & Richmond Borough on 9 May 2015, the pitch looks amazing for end of season doesn't it, Harrow Borough won a tight match 1-0:

2015 Senior Challenge Cup Final

Edited by Rhodes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/06/2020 at 10:59, Rhodes said:

Savagebee Do you remember this testimonial for Hanwell Town's Phil Player, it must have been some night at Reynolds Field with Alan Devonshire in the Hanwell Town team and a lot of goals too, Tottenham won 8-2 but I'm surprised there was only 350 in attendance: 

Phil Player is a legend at the club and still attends home games from time to time and he helps with the printing of the matchday programmes (I think).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - I thought that you might like to see some excellent photographs from the 2014/15 Middlesex FA Senior Challenge Cup Final between Hanwell Town and Harrow Borough played at Hampton & Richmond Borough on 9 May 2015, the pitch looks amazing for end of season doesn't it, Harrow Borough won a tight match 1-0:

Hanwell Town deserved it to go to extra time at the very least.

A very unlucky Tom Duffy giving away the pen 😢

Edited by Savagebee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DSC01508

I bet they are waiting for the sandwiches 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Savagebee said:

I bet they are waiting for the sandwiches 😉

I missed that photo and think you are spot on, they are the so called 'blazers' aren't they and the great and the good from the Middlesex FA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rhodes said:

I missed that photo and think you are spot on, they are the so called 'blazers' aren't they and the great and the good from the Middlesex FA

Yep when the Blazers are in town you have to order an extra loaf of Hovis in to cater for there needs 😀

I have to say that Bob Jarvis who is in that photo (White hair, glasses, sitting down) is a really nice guy and a proper football man who isn't just there for the free drink and the cheese & tomato sandwiches 👍

Edited by Savagebee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Savagebee - I thought you might like to see these photographs from Bedfont & Feltham v AFC Hayes last season in a Combined Counties League Division One fixture on Monday 26 August 2019 at the Orchard, do you recognise any of the players, Bedfont & Feltham won 5-2 and there's a match report too:

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/afchayes/teams/6746/match-centre/1-4598214/report

Bedfont & Feltham v AFC Hayes

Edited by Rhodes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - do you recognise any of the players,

Haven't been there for a few years now so no.

It's a good little set up there it always has been.

I know the club Secretary Scott Savoy he a nice guy and a top clubman.

There Gateman Jim is also a friend of mine and the best Gateman in West London 👍😀 He used to sometimes do the Hanwell Town FC gate aswell. A proper non league footy man is Jim.

Bedfont v Hayes -314

Its a Groundhoppers dream with the planes flying so low 😀

Edited by Savagebee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Savagebee said:

Its a Groundhoppers dream with the planes flying so low 😀

Savagebee - Yes, it's paradise for them isn't it. I know Scott Savoy very well too, such a nice chap.

Bedfont-Feltham-A-12Sep15-40-1024x819.jpg

Edited by Rhodes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 18:49, Savagebee said:

I haven't been there yet but I'm told that it's at very nice set up there.

Savagebee - Further to the earlier photographs of Rectory Park and this is a year on after it opened, I see the sandwich brigade are all present and correct:

Mark Clemmit Joins Middlesex FA’s First Anniversary Celebration of New Facilities at Rectory Park

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 10:26, Savagebee said:

Been there many times I last went there in 2016.

I've always had a soft spot for the club and ground. Every stand is a different kind of stand and it's in a nice setting one where you would think you were in the countryside and I can't think of any other ground that I have been to that has a graveyard right behind it? (Behind the goal end).

The main thing that I always remember about the ground is the pitchside fencing 😀 ive never been to any other ground that has the same pitchside fencing as Northwood FC 🤔

Savagebee - That's interesting, you may like to take a look at this archive page from Northwood's website, I think more Club's should painstakingly produce something like that for historical purposes:

http://www.northwoodfc.com/Archives/archives-results/archives-results.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - That's interesting, you may like to take a look at this archive page from Northwood's website, I think more Club's should painstakingly produce something like that for historical purposes:

http://www.northwoodfc.com/Archives/archives-results/archives-results.html

That's great Rhodes thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Savagebee - The last game at Griffin Park 😪:

Image may contain: text that says "BRENTFORD FOOTBALL CLUB SEASON2019 20 Skybet PLAY-OFFS EFL BRENTFORD SWANSEA CITY GRIFFINPARK WEDNESDAY 29th JULY, 2020 Kick-off 7.45 p.m. Ground: Griffin Park, Braemar Road, Brentford Official Programme Pric£3 Price ECOWORLD"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - The last game at Griffin Park 😪:

Image may contain: text that says "BRENTFORD FOOTBALL CLUB SEASON2019 20 Skybet PLAY-OFFS EFL BRENTFORD SWANSEA CITY GRIFFINPARK WEDNESDAY 29th JULY, 2020 Kick-off 7.45 p.m. Ground: Griffin Park, Braemar Road, Brentford Official Programme Pric£3 Price ECOWORLD"

😢

A sad day.

There was nothing better than watching a game under the floodlights at that place.

The new ground is the club's future but not my future. 

I'm 110% a non league footy man these days and have been for a long while now to be honest.

Will still look for the Bees results and go to the odd Brentford B game but that's it for me these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I see that the Middlesex FA are going ahead with their County Cup Competitions this season, presumably eligiable SSML Club's will be entering. Isn't that going to give Karen a headache as in weeks commencing 9 and 16 November for example there are League fixtures arranged involving Middlesex FA affiliated Club's and 'dates are non-negotiable'. Will any other County FA's be following suit and holding their County Cup Competitions:

https://www.middlesexfa.com/news/2020/oct/05/middlesex-fa-announce-county-cup-dates

Senior Challenge Cup (week commencing Mon)

  • Round 1: w/c 9th November 2020
  • Round 2: w/c 11th January 2021
  • Quarter Final: w/c 15th February 2021
  • Semi Final: w/c 15th March 2021

Premier Cup (week commencing Mon)

  • Round 1: w/c 16th November 2020
  • Round 2: w/c 18th January 2021
  • Quarter Final: w/c 22nd February 2021
  • Semi Final: w/c 15th March 2021
Edited by Rhodes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R -- I believe that both the Essex and the Herts have already announced that they will not be running their County Cup Competitions this season.  Any news on the Middlesex Charity Cup yet ?

And in answer to your query of June 30th, (which I've just spotted), regarding the 1962 FA Amateur Cup Final Replay at Ayresome Park, it was to do with Middlesbrough's unique position at the time.  Prior to Wimbledon joining the Football League in 1977, Middlesbrough were the only FL Club to have won the FA Amateur Cup, which they did in 1895 and 1898, and so big Amateur Cup games involving Northern sides were often held at Ayresome Park in recognition of their unique status.

The FA Amateur Cup Finals of 1912 plus replay, 1921, 1922, 1928, 1935, 1954 2nd replay, 1956 replay, and 1962 replay were all held at Middlesbrough, along with numerous Amateur Cup Semifinals.

I was at the Crook v Hounslow game in April 1962, and also at the Amateur Cup Semifinal between North Shields and Skelmersdale United in March 1969, the last time such a game was held at Ayresome Park.

When I came to London, in 1972, having seen them at Ayresome, Hounslow Town was one of the first non-league Clubs I wanted to visit.  A lovely old ground. 

It certainly seems like a long time ago, a completely different world.

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 06/10/2020 at 16:33, agamemnon3 said:

I was at the Crook v Hounslow game in April 1962

Wow, so you were at the Amateur Cup Final replay at Ayresome Park on 21 April 1962, I'm guessing that you used to live in the North East when you were young and came down to live in London in 1972 to make your fortune, here are the line ups from the game at Wembley a week earlier on 14 April 1962, the Hounslow Town goalkeeper is no relation by the way:

59772_b.jpg

 

 
 
Edited by Rhodes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never been able to see the point of Walking Football however I'm not knocking it, each to their own:

LEAGUES | Walking Football in Middlesex - the Walking Football North League Over 50's is currently recruiting new teams. Small sided, 1 Saturday afternoon per month at Enfield Town, EN1 3PL.

IIs2h84g?format=jpg&name=900x900

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 1 Anonymous, 53 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...