Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  
Savagebee

RETURN TO FOOTBALL - THE MIDDLESEX FOOTBALL FAMILY

Savagebee - I saw this thread on another Forum and thought of you as I remember you saying that Honeycroft has always been one of your favourite grounds, did  you ever get to a game at Uxbridge's previous ground in Cleveland Road that was also known as Honeycroft:

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/help-with-uxbridge-fc.2846/

Edited by Rhodes

16 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - did  you ever get to a game at Uxbridge's previous ground in Cleveland Road that was also known as Honeycroft:

No but it looks likes a cracker of a ground 😍

The Middlesex FA have announced six Level One First Aid Courses at their Rectory Park headquarters on the following dates, starting at 7.00pm at a cost of £35, presumably numbers are restricted in the current climate: 

Wednesday 28th October, Monday 2nd November, Monday 30th November, Monday 7th December, Monday 14th December, Wednesday 16th December

https://www.middlesexfa.com/coaches/development-and-courses/fa-level-1-introduction-to-first-aid-in-football

Billede

On 18/05/2020 at 18:49, Savagebee said:

I haven't been there yet but I'm told that it's at very nice set up there.

Savagebee - Yes, Rectory Park is 'state of the art' although I'm never really sure what that is supposed to mean, you mentioned on the Crawley Green thread a while back that you hate watching football in cages so I would have thought they could have avoided that like the plague according to this groundhopper's report on another Forum from 7 December 2019, three months after Rectory Park opened:

St Panteleimon 5 Shefford Town & Campton 2
Spartan South Midlands League Div 1. Att 24 (Official)
Admission £5 Programme online.
Played at Rectory Park, Middlesex FA HQ.

An unexpected tick with this game being played at the Middlesex County FA ground in Northolt as the hosts regular venue at North Greenford United has seen a few recent postponements due to the weather.
The Rectory Park venue is a fairly basic 4G pitch in a cage, with access only on one side and two 50 seater Atcosts provide the only shelter. Another 4G backs onto it and there are some grass pitches on site too.
The pitch certainly helped the hosts, a team primarily drawn from the local Greek community who played some lovely football, at pace and it is easy to see why they are top of their league. To be fair, the visitors in 5th place at the start were no mugs and contributed to a good game.
The hosts led on 15 when a free kick was not cleared and was returned with interest on the volley with the help of a deflection. Sheffield and Compton equalised within ten minutes with a right wing cross that flew into the net with the keeper rooted to the spot, but within 2 minutes, St Panteleimon regained the lead when a forward turned his marker and drove home with venom from just inside the box. After that there were half chances at either end but it remained 2-1 at the break.
The hosts missed a couple of decent chances in the early part of the second half but with 25 left they added a third when the No 18, who opened the scoring got on the end of a near post cross to prod the ball home from close range and he completed his hat trick a few minutes later when having had his initial shot blocked, the turned the rebound home. With 6 to go, it was 5-1 with a powerful shot from just inside the box and the scoring was completed as we entered stoppage time, with another good goal, the visitors scoring with a volley from near the penalty area following a right wing cross.
St Panteleimon are the best side I have seen at step 6. They play with a real fluency and their game is easy to watch. As I stated, the visitors also were good to watch, but they just had no answer to the quality of their hosts.
Not sure if this will become a regular venue for St Panteleimon, I would query if many of the ground grading requirements are met, but as a one off it did the job.

7 hours ago, Rhodes said:

you mentioned on the Crawley Green thread a while back that you hate watching football in cages so I would have thought they could have avoided that like the plague

I never watch games in cages if I can help it.

3 hours ago, Savagebee said:

I never watch games in cages if I can help it.

I heard Lions v Tigers tomorrow was in a cage 🤣

11 hours ago, Karen Browne said:

I heard Lions v Tigers tomorrow was in a cage 🤣

Has to be 😀 

#🦁v🐯

Savagebee - Not SSML related, or football related for that matter, but I thought some of these photographs might interest you from various locations around Middlesex, Ruislip and Ruislip Manor tube stations bring back fond memories from going to Grosvenor Vale prior to Wealdstone 'criminally' destroying the Club:

Middlesex

On 30/06/2020 at 14:34, Rhodes said:

What about Church Road, was that your sort of ground:

Billede

Savagebee - Some photographs from Church Road back in the day, maybe you will see yourself if you were at the games, for example an FA Trophy First Qualifying Round tie on 19 September 1992 against Tamworth which Hayes won 6-1 when they were in the Isthmian League Premier Division:

http://footygrounds.blogspot.com/2011/06/hayes-and-yeading-church-road.html

Church Road

I didn't want to resurrect a thread from ten years ago as Enfield Til It Died would soon come out of the woodwork however who read the article about former SSML Club Sport London e Benfica on The Cold End's Blog recently. It was an interesting piece and included an old interview from 2009 with then Manager Jose Viana, the so called 'Special One', who I recall always stood absolutely statuesque on the touchline through out the entire ninety minutes of a game and literally didn't move a muscle. I wasn't aware that the Club still had a team plying their trade in the Middlesex County Sunday League Division Five and have somehow managed to get a pitch at the Middlesex FA Rectory Park complex however what an embarrassing fall from grace for the once proud Club and Jose Viana in particular who in The Cold End's interview said 'we hope to have our own ground within five years, be playing at a superior level to the Spartan League together with a strong youth structure with teams going throughout the ages':

https://thecoldend.blogspot.com/2020/11/looking-back-to-2009-when-sport-london.html

9 hours ago, Rhodes said:

I didn't want to resurrect a thread from ten years ago as Enfield Til It Died would soon come out of the woodwork however who read the article about former SSML Club Sport London e Benfica on The Cold End's Blog recently. It was an interesting piece and included an old interview from 2009 with then Manager Jose Viana, the so called 'Special One', who I recall always stood absolutely statuesque on the touchline through out the entire ninety minutes of a game and literally didn't move a muscle. I wasn't aware that the Club still had a team plying their trade in the Middlesex County Sunday League Division Five and have somehow managed to get a pitch at the Middlesex FA Rectory Park complex however what an embarrassing fall from grace for the once proud Club and Jose Viana in particular who in The Cold End's interview said 'we hope to have our own ground within five years, be playing at a superior level to the Spartan League together with a strong youth structure with teams going throughout the ages':

https://thecoldend.blogspot.com/2020/11/looking-back-to-2009-when-sport-london.html

Sport London e Benfica have a team in the Greater London Women's Football League. 

1 hour ago, petethegreek said:

Sport London e Benfica have a team in the Greater London Women's Football League

Yes, I saw that but didn't think it was worth mentioning. I know you officiated on a number of Sport London e Benfica fixtures back in the day when they were a SSML Club, what's your abiding memory of them and Jose Viana, he wasn't exactly Tony Pulis was he.

18 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Yes, I saw that but didn't think it was worth mentioning. I know you officiated on a number of Sport London e Benfica fixtures back in the day when they were a SSML Club, what's your abiding memory of them and Jose Viana, he wasn't exactly Tony Pulis was he.

They were not that organized from what I can recall. Jose didn't say too much during games.

10 hours ago, petethegreek said:

They were not that organized from what I can recall. Jose didn't say too much during games.

Sport London e Benfica used to play a lot on Monday evening's and I recall you had them towards the end of their SSML days in a Division One fixture at Brache Sparta, that must have been exciting for you with Brache Sparta finishing bottom that season and Sport London e Benfica second to bottom:

SSML Division One - 2009/10
 Pos  Name                            Pld    W    D    L   GF   GA  Pts
   1  Holmer Green                     40   28    9    3   95   31   93
   2  Hadley                           40   28    6    6   90   34   90
   3  London Colney                    40   28    5    7  107   40   89
   4  Hoddesdon Town                   40   23    9    8   98   46   78
   5  A F C Dunstable                  40   24    5   11  108   69   77
   6  New Bradwell St Peter            40   22    6   12   96   70   72
   7  King's Langley                   40   21    7   12   84   60   70
   8  Crawley Green Sports             40   21    5   14   80   59   68
   9  Bedford                          40   19    8   13   90   72   65
  10  Bedford Town reserves            40   19    4   17   84   65   61
  11  Cockfosters                      40   17    9   14   82   75   60
  12  Harpenden Town                   40   15    6   19   65   73   51
  13  Ampthill Town                    40   15    4   21   61   85   46 *
  14  Sun Postal Sports                40   12    9   19   70   84   45
  15  Stony Stratford Town             40   11   12   17   67   82   45
  16  Buckingham Athletic              40   12    5   23   58   78   41
  17  Amersham Town                    40   10    7   23   49  100   37
  18  Tokyngton Manor                  40   12    3   25   61   94   36 *
  19  Cranfield United                 40    7    8   25   29  103   29
  20  Sport London E Benfica           40    6    5   29   42  121   23
  21  Brache Sparta                    40    1    6   33   27  102    9
* - Ampthill Town & Tokyngton Manor each 3 points deducted

16 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Sport London e Benfica used to play a lot on Monday evening's and I recall you had them towards the end of their SSML days in a Division One fixture at Brache Sparta, that must have been exciting for you with Brache Sparta finishing bottom that season and Sport London e Benfica second to bottom:

Rhodes what were your Tokngton Manor highlights for that season?

Melford Simpson banged in the goals that season right? And with the last 4 home games not being played how many more goals would have the SSML Giant ended up scoring?

Edited by Savagebee

2 hours ago, Savagebee said:

Rhodes what were your Tokngton Manor highlights for that season?

Savagebee - Well how long have you got, it was a great campaign despite the Club only finishing in eighteenth spot, it should have been much higher, one of the highlights for me was beating Sport London e Benfica by the same 4-1 scoreline both away at Coles Park, where they groundshared (see below), and at Reynolds Field, where we groundshared, in November:

Wednesday 12 August 2009

Spartan South Midlands League Division 1

Sport London e Benfica 1 Tokyngton Manor 4

In what was Sport London e Benfica's first fixture at their new ground, which they share with Premier Division Haringey Borough, Manor were able to make the most of the wide open spaces of Coles Park however things didn't go to plan early on when Manor's custodian Jon Cardy upended Ivo Barroso in the penalty area, following a delay in play Barroso went off injured and Referee Mr Gale pointed to the penalty spot. The resulting kick by Bruno Mondlane was hit centrally however Cardy stood his ground, rather than diving left or right, and he saved extremely well and acrobatically. Manor then then took the lead through Dan Owen who slotted the ball home clinically after an accurate cross from the left. Owen, who stands at 6 ft 5", appeared to be a foot taller than the whole of the Benfica back four, dominated the home defence for the first half an hour of the proceedings before he had to leave the field of play with a head wound following a high accidental tackle, he returned shortly afterwards having been duly 'patched up' by Manor physio Candice Sumner. Gino Sufi then proceeded to makthe score 2-0 to Manor with an excellent strike from the edge of the penalty boxIvan Viera in the Benfica goal could only watch in despair as the ball raced passed him and he didn't stand a chance. Up until that juncture it had been a fairly comfortable evening for Manor apart from the early penalty scare, Benfica were not controlling the ball particularly well and too many passes were going astray with their forwards out of sorts. Gino Sufi proceeded to hit a post and the crossbar within seconds of each other following a rebound and was unlucky not to make it 3-0 which would have surely put the game beyond Benfica's reachAs it was the hosts then raised their game and Djibrill Djalo looped a shot from outside the box over a stranded Cardy which rebounded off the crossbar although a linesman had his flag up for an infringement. Afonso Ferreira then made it 2-1 shortly before the break after a cross form the right bypassed a crowd of players, including some stationery Manor defenders, and went into the net at the far post. HALF TIME 1-2.

Manor's Dean Thomas made it 3-1 immediately after the interval following a lapse in the Benfica defence as they were caught cold. There was then a skirmish on the stand touchline involving Benfica's Bruno Mondlane and goalscorer Thomas who were both tall physical players and the scuffle wasn't pleasant on the eye. The Referee calmed the situation and both players received a yellow card although Thomas could not have argued had he seen red. Half time substitute Andy Watson then proceeded to make it 4-1 to Manor after more indecisiveness in the Benfica rearguard and this, despite some twenty minutes remaining, seemed to put the nail into the hosts coffin with their heads dropping and rain beginning to fall from the north London sky. There was still time for Manor's custodian Cardy to see red following an un-necessary scuffle which resulted in an unsavoury pitch invasion by some young spectators behind the goal, fortunately order was quickly restored with Chris Ellis taking over between the sticks for the remaining minutes of play. FULL TIME 1-4.

Sport London e Befica: Ivan Viera, Chez Hayden, Afonson Ferreira, Emanuel Fletcher, James Bonsu, Martin Irungis, Ivo Barroso, Bruno Mondlane, Dani Da Conceicao, William Dos Santos, Djibrill Djalo. Subs: Fernando Seidi, Simon Bisgarda, Andre Morris, Domingos Ferreira, Amir Khan

Tokyngton Manor: Jon Cardy, Russell Chandler, Dao Helmuit, Ben Tomlinson, Dean Thomas, Michael Williams, Gino Sufi, Anthony Bayele, Chris Ellis, Dan Owen, Steve Doreis. Subs: Andy Watson, David Adetule, Simeon Hinds

Edited by Rhodes

On 21/11/2020 at 02:10, Rhodes said:

Not that exciting as I do not recall the game.

2 hours ago, petethegreek said:

Not that exciting as I do not recall the game

You must be the only match Official who doesn't keep meticulous records of the games they have been on over the years, surely that is one of the pleasures and then looking back on rainy days and also showing the grand children, I'm also sure many Officials keep a programme from every game with their name 'up in lights', don't you do that either.

29 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

You must be the only match Official who doesn't keep meticulous records of the games they have been on over the years, surely that is one of the pleasures and then looking back on rainy days and also showing the grand children, I'm also sure many Officials keep a programme from every game with their name 'up in lights', don't you do that either.

I used to do both but stopped a while ago.

23 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Wednesday 12 August 2009

Spartan South Midlands League Division 1

Sport London e Benfica 1 Tokyngton Manor 4

Coincidentally The Cold End was also at the game:

The Cold End: RANDOM MIDWEEK MATCHES - THE REAL WHITE HART LANE