Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Keep the banter going

On 16/11/2020 at 06:55, Joes said:

Updated ?

IMG_20201116_065355.jpg

Made it on to the Oxhey Jets FC Twitter page ?

https://mobile.twitter.com/1972Jets/status/1328292126287941632

On 19/11/2020 at 23:22, Rhodes said:

You have to say that the most successful SSML Manager(s) were Steve Newing and Del Deanus at Edgware Town for lifting the domestic treble in 2006/07, no other team has ever achieved that

Obviously the so called 'Great One', Clement Temile, has to be right up there, not so much for his achievements but for the profile and huge prestige he brought to the SSML creating Worldwide publicity for the League. A former Nigeria International who was nicknamed 'the Cheetah' in his homeland for his incredible speed, some of you will no doubt recall that he was in line for the Nigeria National team Coach job following 1974 World Cup winner Berti Vogts departure in 2008 but just failed to get it, this was whilst he was with Kentish Town and took them to the Division One Championship that 2007/2008 season with Lee Scott, who idolised Clement, the Division's top goalscorer. All of that is just the tip of the iceberg as Clement is Father to former Israel International Toto Tamuz who settled in Israel from his native Nigeria and became an Israeli citizen , Israel came to Wembley in September 2007 to play England in a European Championship Qualifier and Clement was all over the National papers like a rash for weeks with the SSML always getting a mention in articles. Like I said, Clement didn't lift the domestic treble like Steve Newing and Del Deanus did at Edgware Town, or go unbeaten throughout a League season like duo Darren Croft and Paul Reeves at Dunstable Town in 2012/13, however in terms of the prestige and he brought with him then Clement has to be by far the best. This is the so called 'Great One' receiving an honourary award on the hallowed Cotlandswick turf on Saturday 3 May 2008 before the Division One Cup Final between Ampthill Town and Haringey Borough:

1930624_29828411900_2033_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=z2mOmlnnjQwAX_FlEM9&_nc_ht=scontent-cph2-1.xx&oh=a808912fc7cdb25ee43508f4b88715a6&oe=5FE02512

Edited by Rhodes

6 hours ago, Savagebee said:

Made it on to the Oxhey Jets FC Twitter page ?

https://mobile.twitter.com/1972Jets/status/1328292126287941632

So Joes must have' lifted it' from there then. The list includes Cup goals so it's rather misleading, a Premier Division Club often draws a lowly Division Two Club in the First Round of the Challenge Trophy and their leading striker will score five or six in that one game alone without breaking sweat. Also, as well as the Challenge Trophy and Premier Division Cup, Oxhey Jets were in the FA Cup, FA Vase, Herts FA Charity Shield, Herts FA Senior Cup, and SSML Senior Floodlit Cup that season with Lewis Putman scoring in almost every game.

40 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Obviously the so called 'Great One', Clement Temile, has to be right up there, not so much for his achievements but for the profile and huge prestige he brought to the SSML creating Worldwide publicity for the League. A former Nigeria International who was nicknamed 'the Cheetah' in his homeland for his incredible speed, some of you will no doubt recall that he was in line for the Nigeria National team Coach job following 1974 World Cup winner Berti Vogts departure in 2008 but just failed to get it, this was whilst he was with Kentish Town and took them to the Division One Championship that 2007/2008 season with Lee Scott, who idolised Clement, the Division's top goalscorer. All of that is just the tip of the iceberg as Clement is Father to former Israel International Toto Tamuz who settled in Israel from his native Nigeria and became an Israeli citizen , Israel came to Wembley in September 2007 to play England in a European Championship Qualifier and Clement was all over the National papers like a rash for weeks with the SSML always getting a mention in articles. Like I said, Clement didn't lift the domestic treble like Steve Newing and Del Deanus did at Edgware Town, or go unbeaten throughout a League season like duo Darren Croft and Paul Reeves at Dunstable Town in 2012/13, however in terms of the prestige and he brought with him then Clement has to be by far the best. This is the so called 'Great One' receiving an honourary award on the hallowed Cotlandswick turf on Saturday 3 May 2008 before the Division One Cup Final between Ampthill Town and Haringey Borough:

1930624_29828411900_2033_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=z2mOmlnnjQwAX_FlEM9&_nc_ht=scontent-cph2-1.xx&oh=a808912fc7cdb25ee43508f4b88715a6&oe=5FE02512

I’d like to be considered if we are basing this not on achievements. 

1 minute ago, Rhodes said:

So Joes must have' lifted it' from there then. The list includes Cup goals so it's rather misleading, a Premier Division Club often draws a lowly Division Two Club in the First Round of the Challenge Trophy and their leading striker will score five or six in that one game alone without breaking sweat. Also, as well as the Challenge Trophy and Premier Division Cup, Oxhey Jets were in the FA Cup, FA Vase, Herts FA Charity Shield, Herts FA Senior Cup, and SSML Senior Floodlit Cup that season with Lewis Putman scoring in almost every game.

I would like to see league goals to be honest. 

2 hours ago, Rhodes said:

So Joes must have' lifted it' from there then. 

Maybe.

Says on the Oxhey Jets FC Twitter page that they got it from another Twitter page.

Edited by Savagebee

There was a thread created a while back by the knowledgable Rebadiah Hongfield entitled 'SSML Player Loyalty' and I'm surprised it died a death after just three posts, his view was that he didn't think it was 'a big deal' and that it was part and parcel of Non League football, he went on to ask 'what actual benefit do you get from staying at a Club, especially at this level and it's the player's own personal time and choice, not a job'. I can't say that I agree with Rebadiah Hongfield because you have to have some loyalty as well as a conscience, you have to admire Lewis Putman at Oxhey Jets, and Jordan Brown for example at Eynesbury Rovers, who could choose to play at a much higher level and of course Matt Le Tissier will always be 'the benchmark' for loyalty at Southampton:

SSML Player Loyalty - Spartan South Midlands League Forum - Fans Focus - Non League football clubs

Edited by Rhodes

2 hours ago, Rhodes said:

There was a thread created a while back by the knowledgable Rebadiah Hongfield entitled 'SSML Player Loyalty' and I'm surprised it died a death after just three posts, his view was that he didn't think it was 'a big deal' and that it was part and parcel of Non League football, he went on to ask 'what actual benefit do you get from staying at a Club, especially at this level and it's the player's own personal time and choice, not a job'. I can't say that I agree with Rebadiah Hongfield because you have to have some loyalty as well as a conscience, you have to admire Lewis Putman at Oxhey Jets, and Jordan Brown for example at Eynesbury Rovers, who could choose to play at a much higher level and of course Matt Le Tissier will always be 'the benchmark' for loyalty at Southampton:

SSML Player Loyalty - Spartan South Midlands League Forum - Fans Focus - Non League football clubs

Would love to see Rebadiah Hongfield return to this forum.

Savagebee - Yes, this was an interesting thread back in April 2013, just before Dunstable Town emulated the likes of Arsenal, Preston North End and AFC Wimbledon and went the entire SSML League season unbeaten as well as lifting the Challenge Trophy and Bedfordshie FA Premier Cup. Dunstable Town fan The Dog cordially invited members along to Creasey Park on Saturday 27 April for their final game of the season against Hatfield Town to witness the Club make the record and lift the Championship Shield, they won 2-0 and then went on to beat Codicote 3-2, a week or so later, in the Challenge Trophy Final at Preston Park with a certain person running the line. Anyway, following one or two initial congratulatory posts the thread descended into a slanging match and even Loosely, remember him of Southill Alexander 'fame', became involved, goodness knows why, Rebadiah Hongfield surprisingly commented that he didn't like Dunstable Town's fans however he didn't go into detail as to why not:

43 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - Yes, this was an interesting thread back in April 2013, just before Dunstable Town emulated the likes of Arsenal, Preston North End and AFC Wimbledon and went the entire SSML League season unbeaten as well as lifting the Challenge Trophy and Bedfordshie FA Premier Cup. Dunstable Town fan The Dog cordially invited members along to Creasey Park on Saturday 27 April for their final game of the season against Hatfield Town to witness the Club make the record and lift the Championship Shield, they won 2-0 and then went on to beat Codicote 3-2, a week or so later, in the Challenge Trophy Final at Preston Park with a certain person running the line. Anyway, following one or two initial congratulatory posts the thread descended into a slanging match and even Loosely, remember him of Southill Alexander 'fame', became involved, goodness knows why, Rebadiah Hongfield surprisingly commented that he didn't like Dunstable Town's fans however he didn't go into detail as to why not:

Was a very hot day.

AR2 I recall.

On 24/11/2020 at 19:06, petethegreek said:

Was a very hot day.
AR2 I recall.

So you remember that one then and not Brache Sparta v Sport London e Benfica on Monday 5 April 2010, that proves a point that you are only interested in the bigger games and, in particular, being awarded Cup Finals as I have said all along:

https://www.dunstabletoday.co.uk/sport/football/dunstable-win-treble-after-challenge-trophy-triumph-2342110

Edited by Rhodes

19 hours ago, Rhodes said:

So you remember that one then and not Brache Sparta v Sport London e Benfica on Monday 5 April 2010, that proves a point that you are only interested in the bigger games and, in particular, being awarded Cup Finals as I have said all along:

https://www.dunstabletoday.co.uk/sport/football/dunstable-win-treble-after-challenge-trophy-triumph-2342110

I am more likely to remember a cup final than a poor league game.

11 hours ago, petethegreek said:

I am more likely to remember a cup final than a poor league game.

Well the League games are your bread and butter aren't they, Cup Finals are just an added bonus as and when you might be awarded one by the League at the end of a season which I notice have been few and far between of late

• 1 month later...
On 15/11/2020 at 08:19, Joes said:

Any questions feel free to pop them on here

It's difficult to 'keep the banter going' if nobody is posting, even Savagebee seems to have gone to ground in the last couple of days. I wanted to ask Joes about Connor Calcutt and whether he feels, hand on heart, that Connor has been a disappointment since his arrival at Bell Close infact he has hardly played a full game:

Se kildebilledet

Hello all, hope all are well. Connor is a top top lad, and was a breath of fresh air from day 1 in pre season. As the season came round, he had a massive re furb project going on at his new house, and then he and his misses had there 1st child, so we felt it only right to give him the time of a couple need specially with there 2st born. He was still doing a bit with us, and Was in constant contact with us all, and the plan was to have him back for the busy Xmas period and beyond. Gotta say, for a lad who has played levels, his attitude was spot on, probs the only player to be at every summer pop up session and eveey pre season session. Always the 1st to arrive also.  Cheers for the question, always happy to have communication, so long as it stays on the side of positive, keep in touch

• 2 weeks later...

Joes - What was your thinking in bringing Connor on so late in the day against Leiston out of interest, I'm assuming he wasn't anywhere near full fitness however he didn't enter the fray until the 83rd minute. Leiston were on the ropes for the entire second half and seemed a fairly average Step 3 side who were there for the taking after Archie McClelland had pulled a goal back soon after they had made it 2-0, had Connor been brought on mid way through the second half there would have still been ample time to equalise and even win the tie in ninety minutes with Leiston giving away a lot of free kicks just outside the penalty area. 

Edited by Rhodes

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to post this one, and not directly SSML related, however photographs from the 2013/14 FA Inter League Cup Final between the Isle of Man League and the Herts Senior County League, played at the Bowl in Douglas on Saturday 10 May 2014, the Isle of Man League won a tight and exciting contest 3-2. The appointed Herts Senior County League boss Mick Miller, who's 'day job' at the time was boss of Bushey Sports Club, unsurprisingly had six of his own players in the squad as well as seven players from Belstone FC. Bovingdon and Sarratt were in the Herts Senior County League Premier Division that season but they don't seem to have got a look in:

Herts Senior County League squad: Sam Styles (Belstone FC), Nathan Ratcliffe (Standon & Puckeridge FC), Wes Fox (Bush Hill Rangers FC), Chris Ingham (Belstone FC), Nick Turner (Belstone FC), Tom Guainiere (Bushey Sports Club), Rob Courtnage (Bushey Sports Club), Jamie Hurst (Bushey Sports Club), Darren Butler (Belstone FC), Jack Brown (Bushey Sports Club), Lee Inch (Belstone FC), Drew Tyler (Cuffley FC), Gavin Chatterpaul (Bushey Sports Club), Ross Shorto. (Bushey Sports Club), Jamie Arthur (Belstone FC), Darren Turner (Belstone FC), James Endacott (Standon & Puckeridge FC). 

The FA Inter-League Cup - Final | Flickr

The FA Inter-League Cup - Presentations and Celebrations | Flickr

The FA Inter-League Cup Final: Isle of Man League v Herts Senior County League

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

Herts Senior County League squad: Sam Styles (Belstone FC), 

The ex Oxhey Jets, Edgware Town and Rayners Lane number 1.

Edited by Savagebee

On 27/01/2021 at 16:25, Rhodes said:

Joes - What was your thinking in bringing Connor on so late in the day against Leiston out of interest, I'm assuming he wasn't anywhere near full fitness however he didn't enter the fray until the 83rd minute. Leiston were on the ropes for the entire second half and seemed a fairly average Step 3 side who were there for the taking after Archie McClelland had pulled a goal back soon after they had made it 2-0, had Connor been brought on mid way through the second half there would have still been ample time to equalise and even win the tie in ninety minutes with Leiston giving away a lot of free kicks just outside the penalty area. 

Joes hasn't answered this one as yet so just bringing it to the front page, I still feel that had Leighton Town beaten Leiston they would have been more than capable of beating AFC Telford United at Bell Close in the Third Qualifying Round as Leiston did, albeit on penalties. Then it would have been Barnet at Bell Close in the Fourth Qualifying Round and anything could have happened as they played a very under strength side, only beating Leiston 3-2, it just seemed like such a missed opportunity with Leiston on the ropes pretty much from the moment Archie McClelland pulled a goal back to make it 2-1 on the half hour mark.

An interesting piece from the legendary Tony Incenzo where he lists his favourite ten Non League grounds and he has been to a fair few. Here is a taster, no doubt Football Man who used to post on here was part of that World Record:

The Non-League Football Paper

PELICAN FC, BRIAN WAKEFIELD MEMORIAL GROUND, NOTTINGHAM: The only world record for groundhopping was set on March 20, 2004. I joined 250 other football fanatics to watch five matches at five different football grounds in one day in the Central Midlands League in the Nottingham/Derby area. The schedule read: 11am at Greenwood Meadows FC, 1pm at Pelican FC, 3pm at Dunkirk FC, 5:30pm at Sandiacre Town FC and 8pm at Graham Street Prims FC. This is listed in the Guinness Book of Records and we received certificates confirming the world record after the fifth game. I remember having a huge row with my girlfriend of that time because she wanted to go back to our hotel at the end of the second match at the Brian Wakefield Memorial Ground where Pelican lost 2-1 to Dinnington Town. But I told her there were three further matches to go and we had to complete the world record. She subsequently disappeared in a taxi. Strangely enough, that was the last time I ever saw her.