Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Prediction League Cup - Qualifying Stage, Week 1. By 1430 on Sat 26 Sep

Jago

Hello everyone.  Happy New Year.

Decent strike from Lewwis!  Mind you we’d already tried chipping the GK 3 times before so one had to go in eventually ?

Anyway. To the Prediction League Emergency Cup.  I’m very pleased to confirm that we have all 19 players from last year, plus 3 new joiners : Kentish Maid (who I assume will play on here),  along with “Nick” and “Brian” who I understand lack the IT skills to sign up so will play via carrier pigeon.  Welcome to you all.

These three new players get a one goal start on each match - as previously advertised - so no cavilling from the usual suspects please.  (Great word cavil – much underused IMHO). 

Here’s what we’ll be doing ...

1.      The first 2 weeks will be a qualifying stage. 

2.      The highest 16 aggregate scores after 2 weeks will go through into the knockout stage.  Anyone outside the top 16 will simply be cruelly cast aside, left to lick their wounds and wonder about the fickleness of fate (and their own incompetence).  Tie breaker will be lowest total variance on crowd numbers across the two weeks.

3.      This means we can take new joiners all the way up to 2:30pm on Sat 26 Sep.  Customer-focused or what? 

4.      And yes this means all new joiners will get a 2 goal bonus for the qualifying period.  I can’t see Nick and Brian being a threat even with this boost – but KM has, I understand, previously run her own version of a prediction league, so is immediately installed as Cup favourite.  No pressure KM!

5.      Normal scoring rules will apply.   (These will be re-stated on the next post so that COYS and Blackballed can cover their eyes and still pretend the rules don’t exist).

And so to the fixtures.  Normal stuff.  One foreign.  One or two Premier, any decent lower league, and guess the crowd on the Chins’ game... 

Here we go...

Prediction League Cup – Qualifying Round 1,  26th Sep by 14:30

Bayer Leverkusen v RB Leipzig (14:30)
Burnley v Southampton
C Palace v Everton
Romford v Aveley
B Stortford v Hornchurch
Att:

That’s it.  What can possibly go wrong?

Jago.

Edited by Jago

THE RULES                          

Now, before we start - a reprise of the rules, just to confirm dispel any rumours that I make it up as I go along.
<<< IT'S VERY SIMPLE >>>
      (Crossed out bits are not applicable to the cup)

1. Scoring System                          
  Correct “result” – i.e.  Home/Draw/Away = 2 goals                  
  Correct Home score = 1 goal                      
  Correct Away score = 1 goal                      
  So yes - you can score up to 4 goals per match.  Though some of you never have.            

Hornchurch attendance =  5 goals for completely correct (we get a few every season)          
  3 goals if within 5% of official attendance,  2 goals within 10%, and 1 goal within 20%.  “Within” includes “equals”.      

Postponed or abandoned matches – everyone scores zero on these games, including the Dummy Team attendance bonus.    

2. The Dummy Team (when required)                      
  If we have a Dummy Team to even up numbers, they predict 1-1 on all games and automatially get 1 goal for attendance.    
  New rule for 2020-21 : the Dummy Team's opponents can predict a maximum of two 1-1 draws (this stops skulduggery if for    
      example one of the fixtures is a home or away banker)                
  The Dummy Team can be bought by a new joiner at any point in the season.             

3.  The League system                        
  League positions are sorted on points then goals scored then goal difference then how much you are willing to pay me.    
  If we are running 2 divisions there will be a set number of automatic promotion places depending on size of divisions    
       and normally 4 play-off places.                    
  A ridiculously large percentage of teams will be promoted and relegated so that we don't get too many meaningless    
      mid-table teams/matches at the end.  For example 4 up/4 down for division of 10,  3 up/3 down for divisions of 8    
  Play-offs are normally one-off affairs.  If result is a draw, then closest to attendance is regarded as "winning on penalties"    
  Unfortunately if we get significantly fewer teams the following season it may be necessary to reduce the size of the top    
      division.  This means the play-off winner and potentially the last automatically promoted team have to stay down.  Sorry!    

4.  Nuances (you think of a better title)                      
  If a head-to-head match will have a decisive outcome on final champion/promotion/relegtion or play-off positions,    
        then the second predictor may not repeat more than 2  of the first predictor's scores.          
       (Typically this rule only applies to last match of season).                

5. ADMIN                            
  Please place your prediction scores between the teams e.g  Romford 0-3 Hornchurch.  Or as a simple list, eg 0-1, 0-2, 1-1, 3-0, 1-1 Att 309
  And please don't add extra lines between the 5 prediction matches.                
  You will get a warning for a first offence and a 1 point deduction for each subsequent offence.         
       (It causes a spreadsheet headache).                    
  Late predictions technically score zero - but at the discretion of the management may be allowed according      
      to some random and normally nepotisitic criteria.  Especially if it annoys The Hatted Urchin.         
      (Max 15 mins late in any circumstance, and match must still be 0-0).              
Edited by Jago

Bayer Leverkusen 1v  1 RB Leipzig (14:30)
Burnley 1 v 1Southampton
C Palace 1v 1 Everton
Romford 0 v 3 Aveley
B Stortford 1v  2Hornchurch
Att:413

My predictions (FC Chintastic)

Bayer Leverkusen  1-1 RB Leipzig (14:30)
Burnley 2-1 Southampton
C Palace 1-1 Everton
Romford 2-1 Aveley
B Stortford 1-2 Hornchurch
Att: 370

Nick's Knockers  (offline via carrier pigeon)

Bayer Leverkusen  2-1 RB Leipzig (14:30)
Burnley 1-1 Southampton
C Palace 1-1 Everton
Romford 0-1 Aveley
B Stortford 1-2 Hornchurch
Att: 302

Bayer Leverkusen 0 v 2 RB Leipzig (14:30)
Burnley 2v 2 Southampton
C Palace1  v 2 Everton
Romford 0 v 1 Aveley
B Stortford1 v 3 Hornchurch
Att:369