Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Saturday 26 September - SSML Results/Reports

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

Covid precautions were the most comprehensive I've seen this season with temperature check, scanning of the NHS QR code and squirt of hand sanitiser all compulsory to secure admission. A one way system to the clubhouse, tea bar and toilets was clearly marked  all spectators co-operating.

? I'm surprised that you didn't have to give your bank details, weight and height and have a urine test ? maybe that's next!

All that just to watch a game of where there is 80 people watching.

4 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Potton United 2 Wembley 3

A great result for Basher Bates Boys today.

Oxhey Jets 4 Dunstable Town 0

A hatrick for Mr Putman today ?

15 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Division Two

Tring Corinthians AFC 2 Berkhamsted Raiders 2

A groundhopper was at this one and gives an interesting report, no programme must have gone down like a lead balloon:

Spartan South Midlands League, Division 2 
Tring Corinthians 2 Berkhamsted Raiders 2

Attendance 23
Admission £3, no programme (but team news and manager’s ‘programme review’ style notes on the website before the game)
Pint of Carlsberg £3.40, coffee £1

For the first time since pubs re-opened, my mates decided to meet up on Saturday instead of Friday and at an earlier time due to the new 10:00 shutdown, so just as well I'd already chosen a relatively close hop.
After a couple of false starts trying to visit previously, I finally made it to Tring Corinthians’ home in Icknield Way, a mile or so north east up the B488 from the junction with the A41. Corinthians’ chairman / gateman was incredibly thorough - NHS app, forehead temperature check, hand gel, and only six people allowed at one time in the compact clubhouse – I had to wait to get in there as the players’ profiles and photos were being compiled before the game!
The ground is technically one-and-a-half sided for spectators, behind the goal nearest the road, where the dark green painted clubhouse and changing rooms (the latter very close to the pitch) and the car park are located, and halfway down a thorny hedged flank (which burst its second ball of the season already today) with the dugouts set into the greenery! Some people did stand on the unroped side in front of the field with a public footpath opposite the dugouts. A small stand with moveable plastic village hall type seats for about 15 spectators is situated in the corner nearest the clubhouse.
On the first autumnal feeling Saturday of the season, the pitch length wind was absolutely freezing. Goodness knows what it was like for those poor souls in East Anglia. The wind and slope down towards Icknield Way assisted the home side in the first half, with two free kicks near halfway bouncing before needing to be tipped over the bar. The hosts opened the scoring in the 13th, a free kick 25 yards out flicked on and finished from an acute angle by Toby Bennett. Eight minutes later, Harry Bennett (no relation) latched onto a neat through ball and unflinchingly lobbed home from 20 yards. Raiders had an opportunity to score when a player was fouled in the box while travelling away from goal, but TC keeper Dan Bobinski saved Emmanuel Agyeman’s 28th minute spot kick to his left.
On a bitterly cold day, someone obviously used the hairdryer treatment in the away dressing room during the break as the second half was virtually one way traffic, Raiders’ cause boosted when Alfie Boswell received the ball, arced round the edge of the box and hit a 20 yard scorcher 20 seconds into the half for 1-2. Boswell got his brace from the penalty spot in the 70th following a shove in the back just inside the box. The home side may have been annoyed at losing a two goal lead but would maybe have been happy to share the spoils due to the adversity after the break. Home somehow by 5.45 and a decent quaff soon after!

10 hours ago, Savagebee said:

? I'm surprised that you didn't have to give your bank details, weight and height and have a urine test ? maybe that's next!

All that just to watch a game of where there is 80 people watching.

Savagebee - You have to despair really, not directly SSML but this is from Hendon's gateman on another Forum who was on duty at Silver Jubilee Park yesterday, I hope they fix the 'Track & Trace' system in time for Edgware Town's home game with Harpenden Town on Tuesday:

Southern League South Premier Division
Hendon 0-4 Truro City
Att: 336
Admission: Turnstile duty today - for my apparently many sins in a previous life

The Greens were given a little bit of a lesson by a very impressive and efficient Cornish outfit. It'll take a very good side to stop them winning the title this season.

Admission was via a cocktail of advance online sales (60%), contactless card payments (25%) and cash (15%). Track and trace went a little bit haywire with issues with the NHS app meaning one of our poor fans took down 5-pages of A4 handwritten names and numbers. Inside the ground, from what I've heard, things seemed to work quite well with the bar trialling a take-away service as well as table service.

The game. We never really got to grips with the two Truro wing-backs, especially Niall Thompson down the right. There aren't too many better or more effective players than him in the league. I didn't see much of the first half, but I did see Truro's well worked and simple opener after 14 minutes.

A similar move on the hour mark made it 2-0 before a penalty and rebound after a fine Jonathan North save saw the White Tigers depart with 3 points and a handsome victory. For us, we've seen the standard we - and probably most others - need to aspire to.

Savagebee - You have to despair really, not directly SSML but this is from Hendon's gateman on another Forum who was on duty at Silver Jubilee Park yesterday, I hope they fix the 'Track & Trace' system in time for Edgware Town's home game with Harpenden Town on Tuesday:

Admission was via a cocktail of advance online sales (60%), contactless card payments (25%) and cash (15%). Track and trace went a little bit haywire with issues with the NHS app meaning one of our poor fans took down 5-pages of A4 handwritten names and numbers. Inside the ground, from what I've heard, things seemed to work quite well with the bar trialling a take-away service as well as table service.ouls

I would never give my personal information to some Tom, Dick or Harry to watch a non league football match.

Edited by Savagebee

On 26/09/2020 at 18:22, Rhodes said:

Division Two

New Bradwell St Peter 1 Pitstone & Ivinghoe 2

An interesting report on this one from another Forum with photographs (see link), I wondered why Karen had dragged her feet putting the result up on Full Time:

New Bradwell St Peter 1-2 Pitstone & Ivinghoe United
Spartan League Division 2

Probably one of the longer fixture titles this weekend was in Division 2 of the Spartan League as New Bradwell St Peter hosted Pitstone & Ivinghoe United.
Both teams have been at step 7 of the pyramid for some time, though in the early 90s they played each other in the Premier Division of the South Midlands League, and Pitstone won the league itself in 1990.
New Bradwell was probably the most COVID-aware ground I've been to so far this season. The bar was table service only, and the changing rooms were being sprayed down with disinfectant regularly. There was even a couple of buckets of disinfectant for the balls, though it didn't look like either were used. The club's nominated COVID officer (identified by a fetching hi-vis vest) was one of the busiest people all afternoon.
Attendance fluctuated between about 10 and 40, with people coming and going after the Brighton - Man United game and retreating for shelter once they realised how cold it was.

The ground is shared with Bradwell Cricket Club, and with stand-alone changing rooms and a serviceable stand and floodlights, it's more than enough for this level. There was something unsettling about the goalposts though...were they too wide? Too round, perhaps?
The referee was not exactly a stickler for time. He didn't emerge from the changing rooms until ten to three, and we didn't kick off until five past.

Both teams tried to keep the ball on the deck, and despite New Bradwell opening brightly, Pitstone took the lead after a defender made a hash of trying to volley a clearance away. Sometimes I feel like teams at this level do themselves more harm than good by 'trying play the right way'.
After an almost 25 minute half time break, goalmouth action became a bit more common, and New Bradwell missed a hatful of chances, including hitting the bar from about a yard out. It looked like their moment had gone, but another defensive mistake, this time a result of over-playing at the back, put their winger through on goal, and he slotted home. Rather than spur them on to go ahead, New Bradwell began to retreat, and Pitstone headed in a not undeserved winner.

The last 20 minutes was almost a procession. This is the first game I've seen in this league, but if it game was anything to go by, a team with anything approaching fitness training would challenge for the title.
There was a pleasing amount of Copa Mundials being worn; at least five pairs between the two teams.
At five past five, the referee finally allowed everyone to get out of the cold drizzle and into the warm. It was the first game I got the Big Coat out for, and I'm glad Bradwell Windmill wasn't operational. If it was, I think it might have taken off.
I think taking the goals down after a defeat must be one of the worst feelings in football.

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/saturday-26th-september-2020.2695/page-4

On 26/09/2020 at 18:22, Rhodes said:

Division One

Enfield Borough 2 Bedford 5

The match programme, I wonder what they have put in the water at McMullen Park this season, it's unheard of for Bedford to win their first three League games of a campaign:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17hgwVb03yRgmIabOjYtC0P9qr9blvfGZ/view

Billede

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

it's unheard of for Bedford to win their first three League games of a campaign:

In 2006-2007 under their former name of Bedford United & Valerio they won their first three league games

In 2007-2008 under their current name they won their first three league games

Prompted, largely, by the previews of the venerable Rhodes, it was on the bus to Summers Lane, the home of Wingate & Finchley FC, to see if their tenants, Enfield Borough, could punch a hole in Bedford FC's successful start to the season.

Er....  no, they couldn't.  Despite the friendly chap on the gate with the malfunctioning temperature gun assuring me that this was a banker home win, it was never going to happen.

A fairly even first thirty minutes was blown apart when well-worked moves saw Bedford score on 35 and 41 to take a 2-0 interval lead.

Richard Ennin pulled one back for Enfield on 59, but on 68 we were treated to the highlight of the day when the Bedford keeper, Hunter, took a freekick from well inside his own half which, caught by the wind, went straight through the hands of the home keeper, 1-3.  Elliot Harris then scored a fine individual goal to make it 2-3,  but Enfield were tiring, and Bedford's lively forwards took advantage and scored again on 73 and 88.

The unexpectedly cold afternoon was spent in the fine company of FinchleyFlyer65, from another forum, and I also had a word with a jovial old boy who turned out to be the Bedford keeper's dad.  He, quite understandably, was beaming, as he had never seen his boy score before.  As Confucius said, If you wait long enough, everything will happen.

Enfield will be ok, they're lively, they have pace, and they can score goals, but their defensive fraileties will probably keep them in mid-table.  Bedford, on the other hand, may well be looking at their best season for some years.  

From Summers Lane it was a brief walk to the North Finchley Waitrose, where the stunning Orcadian Single Malt Scapa Glansa was on offer, at £31, rather than £43, and as if that wasn't enough, they were doing Jim Beam 47.5% Single Barrel at £27, rather than £ 37.50.  Well, it would have been rude not to really, wouldn't it ?

From there, clutching my treasures, it was across the road to the Finchley Tavern for a couple of ice-cold Carlings, and twenty minutes listening to Old Sammy explaining in great detail why none of his horses had won, yet again...

Back on the bus, and indoors by 7.45.  Bliss...       

Division Two match reports from Saturday where found:

Division Two

Aston Clinton 2 Berkhamsted Comrades 2

Bovingdon 2 Totternhoe 1

MK Gallacticos 2 Old Bradwell United 0

https://www.oldbradwellunited.com/teams/222532/match-centre/1-6379211/report

New Bradwell St Peter 1 Pitstone & Ivinghoe 2

https://www.sportsshots.org.uk/2020/09/27/ssmfl-d2-new-bradwell-st-peter-1-2-pitstone-ivinghoe/

Sarratt 7 Mursley United 1

The 61 FC (Luton) 1 Codicote 6

https://www.codicotefc.co.uk/item.php?pg=fixtures&pd=1011&sort=sdate&order=asc&fsea=all&frt=all&offset=2&it=205#report

Tring Corinthians AFC 2 Berkhamsted Raiders 2

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/tringcorinthiansfc/teams/204841/match-centre/1-6379215/report

On 26/09/2020 at 23:18, Savagebee said:

A hatrick for Mr Putman today ?

He unsurprisingly walked the Club's player of the month award for September:

Billede

Pleased for Puts I hope he stays at Oxhey Jets and doesn't get tempted away from the club again. 

On 04/10/2020 at 22:35, Savagebee said:

Pleased for Puts I hope he stays at Oxhey Jets and doesn't get tempted away from the club again

Savagebee - Here's another fan of Lewis Putman, unless you wrote this under an assumed name:

http://inthestand.co.uk/

Just to finish this post on another tangent, I read that Oxhey Jets have given their Player of the Month award for September to the legend that is Lewis Putman. Just a suggestion, but maybe it would be an idea to pull out the “Player of the Season” award from the club trophy cabinet, dust it down, polish it up and hand it over to him now? While they are at it, how about giving him the freedom of Oxhey, his own key to the executive toilet and rename the club Putman Hat-trick FC? Just a thought!

9 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - Here's another fan of Lewis Putman, unless you wrote this under an assumed name:

http://inthestand.co.uk/

Just to finish this post on another tangent, I read that Oxhey Jets have given their Player of the Month award for September to the legend that is Lewis Putman. Just a suggestion, but maybe it would be an idea to pull out the “Player of the Season” award from the club trophy cabinet, dust it down, polish it up and hand it over to him now? While they are at it, how about giving him the freedom of Oxhey, his own key to the executive toilet and rename the club Putman Hat-trick FC? Just a thought!

Ha Ha not me but I agree with there suggestion ?

All hail The King Of Oxhey ?