Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Carshalton Ath. v Enfield Town

seemgee

Thanks for that information djwilf. I watched the match from distance away, and quite frankly I wish I hadn't. This was always going to be a hard match, but I thought our guys were always second best this afternoon.

What I find very difficult to understand is the sharp contrast between our home and away form. We have a 100% home record, 4 wins from 4 matches, as good as anyone else in the Premier Division, yet one of the worst away records, with 4 defeats from 5 matches. It is still early days, but this erratic form has to be of concern, and needs to be addressed if Town are to be in the mix at the end of the season.

Next weekend we entertain Ramsgate in the FA Trophy. Today they played Burgess Hill away in the League and beat them 0-3, so a moral-boosting win for The Rams and they will be up for it next Saturday. This is a 'must win match' for us, and we need a good run in this competition to generate much needed FA prize money income for our Club.

I can't understand why you lot keep moaning ?? Your 4th from top in the table "Not 4th from bottom "  Things go wrong in football quite often , thats life I'm afraid.  ?

However its a good feeling Ambers being above Townies , Long may it continue ?

I am not surprised LH at our current away record. I believe that these statistics  reflects that we have only have one way of playing, whether we are at home and away.  The team management do not seem to have recourse to another format especially when away. Our present system is very tenuous at home and extremely reckless away. This to me shows a complete ineptness,  or lack of understanding of what is required, amongst the playing management. As you will see, this fact is gradually becoming recognised by many  members of this forum. 

As you correctly say, next week is a must win for us. Especially if we are to reap any further financial benefit. No matter how welcome this would be it will still only paint over the creaks. Sooner later than never something has to be done about the team structure. We cannot hide behind our financial status for ever.

Now in pure contrast I must arrange my ticket for next week. After all there has to be a silver lining some where?.

23 minutes ago, andyetfc said:

Beat Ramsgate, a lower league team, then beat Brightlingsea, in the bottom three, and the club will say everything is rosey. 

But lose them both and well....the Club will say/do nothing!

It was watching Harry Ottaway today that really put things in perspective. Remember when he played for us? Reaching the play-offs, attractive passing football.

Very poor match - I tuned in as Scott Thomas was being subbed (hope nothing serious - key player for us)

The first half that I saw looked fairly even - Josh sweeping behind Pepera and Gyebi made sense and looked like it was working well. We strung together some passes and kept the ball pretty well

Second half was pretty abysmal to watch - I have only once ever left a game early - it was Hendon away on a Friday night in the late nineties - we were awful,lost 2-0 I think,  it was pouring with rain and I had a ticket to the midnight re release of Empire Strikes Back and didnt want to sit in wet clothes so left 10 mins early  - but I was sorely tempted to turn off at 2-0 yesterday.

Della Verde came out with credit from attacking perspective, but not particularly anyone else. 

Am pleased we tried to change the system and adapt at the back - but going forward we did not look good.

Tuesday night we won, but I dont think we played particularly well either, and a number of people agreed as we exited the ground.

Four defeats on the road in a row is not good enough.

Getting to the play offs is the target for the season - and too early for doom and gloom in my view - but it is crucial we learn and get back to winning ways fast, and yes I am concerned.

I remember when the fixtures were published that November was a tricky month ..  after Brightlingsea we have 5 consecutive games against 

Cray 7th

Cheshunt 2nd

Hornchurch 11th - but one of the faves 

Bognor 6th

Worthing 1st

So let's get behind the team and hopefully have a successful November!  

PS Miss Harry Ottaway so much after watching him yesterday !!

Edited by Raingod

RG I appreciate your measured appraisal. I too hope that Scott Thomas' injury is not bad. He is the one shining light in the current set up. 

RG, I don't think supporters find it hard to get behind the team. We all are hoping for a good outcome for them as it will uplift up our expectations. 

Where my criticism and exasperation lay , as with others, is the lack of inspiration and guidance given to them off the field. I believe this is reflected in the number of good young players we have lost over the last few seasons. Especially those who want to gain experience so that they can forward their ambitions. Many of them have found themselves frozen out for some inexplicable reason. 

As I said previously I sincerely hope that somehow we can cobble up a run in the Trophy so that we can bring in some more needed cash.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Good summary Raingod - pretty dire watching in the second half, after we didn't look terrible first half (although I missed the first 20). We're going to lose games, that's a given, but when we do lose we really are awful. I've said it before: I don't totally object to a direct style of play, I can remember some very good Enfield sides in the early / mid 90s that were happy to go long - the difference being that they had the personnel to do it. If we're going to go long all the time, why not get some strikers who are comfortable holding the ball up? I accept that Okoje is injured, but surely we need a plan B (whether that's a backup target man, or a change in system / playing style).

Bottom line, we're 4th in the table, so I'm not too down about things, but I do think this is largely a false position, with some decent sides having games in hand. As RG mentioned, we have a tough November, and I think we'll know a lot more about where this team is going after that run of fixtures. If the defensively resilient side that have been grinding out results at home by (at times) winning ugly show up, then I think we'll still be in the mix at the right end of the table. If the side that seems devoid of any game plan or direction that has been losing away games turn up, then I do fear for the season.

Edited by Barney
Remove some typos

Also maybe worth saying, I was very impressed with Carshalton's coverage on their YouTube channel - the camera work was decent enough, and the commentator was engaging, and well briefed on both line ups. No idea if they're going to be reading this, but definitely a thumbs up from me ?

I  agree with your observations Barney. I too do not object to using a planned long ball strategy so long as you have players able to make the passes and those up front with the pace to support the target man holding up the ball. But unfortunately it is these sort of players, particularly the younger ones, that we keep losing. 

Like you I also thought that Carshalton's coverage of the game was excellent. 

From another perspective I hope the team look at it as it  would be to their advantage. It showed the contrast in play of each team. It was  clear to me that most of the time Carshalton continued to hold their shape, especially in defence. This became more evident in the second half when they retained the ball quite easily. Whereas for us, after half time, it was hard to tell who was playing where.  Once again, particularly in midfield, our usual culprits were all over the place. Which without Scott to cover for them it left large gaps for others to deal with.

This is where management, organisation and a playing ethos come in.  To me AL's teams have seemed to show a lack of these three fundamentals. Because without them no matter how good players are individually, you cannot create a team. Which has been at the crux of my criticism over the past few years. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

I am too far away to offer a valid opinion but our current league position is what it is only because we have played more games than most. Won 5 lost 4 looks like previous seasons revisited - mid table and never a threat of playoffs or promotion. I can only support other views that changes must be made. Mediocrity is not what this club was created for.

I am beginning to forget what a game of football looks like here in Melbourne. After three or four practice games back in Feb/March our season was suspended and ultimately cancelled in its entirety.

All the best to the team over the next period.

4 hours ago, wilson said:

I am beginning to forget what a game of football looks like here in Melbourne. After three or four practice games back in Feb/March our season was suspended and ultimately cancelled in its entirety

funny that we have forgotten what football looks like

im sure our management team think tick n hope still works

13 hours ago, wilson said:

I am too far away to offer a valid opinion but our current league position is what it is only because we have played more games than most. Won 5 lost 4 looks like previous seasons revisited - mid table and never a threat of playoffs or promotion. I can only support other views that changes must be made. Mediocrity is not what this club was created for.

I am beginning to forget what a game of football looks like here in Melbourne. After three or four practice games back in Feb/March our season was suspended and ultimately cancelled in its entirety.

All the best to the team over the next period.

Hi Wilson - everyone's opinion on here is valid - we all want success for the club!

You're never too far away - for £5 /mnth as an online towner you get to watch a lot of the matches - well worth it!