Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Prediction League Cup Final Result. New season after Christmas

Jago

Hello everyone.  As you know there’s been a lot to take in over the last 24h: 

·         The lockdown news and all that jazz;

·         The extraordinarily effective double substitution to transform the Bowers game. (Good work Mr Stimson – and Mr Osborne too for that matter);

·         The tragedy* of Lady Jago breaking her arm on Friday night after “slipping on wet leaves” – hence this rather delayed Prediction Cup update    * which means she can’t wash up for 8 weeks – or so she bribed the doctor to say;

·         But mainly, of course,  the “shock of the century” result in the Prediction League Cup, where it was a case of “veni, vidi, vici” for Kentish Maid, the new girl extraordinaire.   (English, Latin and French all in the same sentence – a veritable linguistic kaleidoscope). 
                         Final score :     Salad Cream Blues (Mick The Bat)   7-12   Falls' Fools FC (Kentish Maid),

Yes I know Ms Newbie had a goal start for each match, but as she won each match by at least two goals I don’t think anyone can complain.  Though Dinamo will have a good go I’m sure.

So very well done Kentish Maid – shades of Boris Becker winning Wimbledon as a qualifier.  Hard luck to Mick The Bat, who at least had the consolation of being "Top Salad" (a bit like winning the Triple Crown but losing to Italy I guess).  As to the rest of you (us!) - UP YOUR GAME, LOSERS.      @KM - Not quite sure how we will get you the trophy but I’m sure you can wait until the lockdown thaws a little.

NEXT SEASON ??

Assume for now that we will re-start a full league programme after Christmas – the normal 14 matches in a two division format. We can accommodate any number of new teams so if anyone reading this wants to sign up just let me know (send me a PM or drop a reply on here).  

I’ll send out a reminder in December but feel free to confirm now if you will definitely rejoin. 

We normally raise a few bob for the Supporters’ Association so it will be whatever you want to contribute - a fiver, a tenner, or a freebie, (as I know some of us are struggling at the moment).  Free entry as usual for last year’s winners – Lord Upminster and Mr D –who have both kindly waived the (highly theoretical) winnings.

Anyway – see you in December (no, I’m NOT going to Folkestone!).

JAGO

I will gladly accept my free entry and can confirm that I am still the manager of The Flat Caps despite our dismal performance in the cup. I shall now spend the next 2 months trying to obtain international clearance for a couple of Brazilian players I have signed via my contact from ‘dois pés esquerdos’.

Exciting times!

22 minutes ago, MikeMike said:

I'll play again - as apparently that's the only way I have any chance of receiving much deserved promotion.

Good man Michael.  For the uninformed, Mike is referring to the FACT that he finished third in Div 2 - thereby achieving a "much deserved" promotion. (And very well done too - it's a famously tough division to get out of - just the 40% go up!). However, due to the underhand way in which I run this thing, Mike could sadly be denied his well-merited elevation if we don't get a minimum of 17 players.  Which would kind of be hilarious. Nb. I'm looking forward to explaining this nuance at some stage to Kentish Maid who, as you will have seen, likes to be drip-fed the rules due to her relatively short attention-span . (TBF she's from Kent).

Before you sympathise with Mike too much, remember he could have saved this angst simply by finishing second.  Or by enlisting all his mates (assuming he has any) to get to the requisite 17.  (And he will probably go up anyway - so far NOBODY has ever been denied promotion).

1 hour ago, MR D said:

I will gladly accept my free entry and can confirm that I am still the manager of The Flat Caps despite our dismal performance in the cup. I shall now spend the next 2 months trying to obtain international clearance for a couple of Brazilian players I have signed via my contact from ‘dois pés esquerdos’.

Good man D.  My Portuguese is a little rusty, but I get your drift.  I assume it's like signing George Weah's "cousin" (look it up if you're too young)... or when Hornchurch famously signed Michael Carrick's brother Graeme. That went well.

Onwards to the new season.
Jago.

12 hours ago, Jago said:

Yes I know Ms Newbie had a goal start for each match, but as she won each match by at least two goals I don’t think anyone can complain.  Though Dinamo will have a good go I’m sure.

It is a sad indictment of the institutionalised anti Midland bias that lies at the heart of those in power of this competition that I knew complaining at the time of Kentish Maid's flagrant breach of the rules in her tie against me was pointless.  Had I predicted a Hornchurch draw, let alone a Hornchurch defeat, I would have been booted from the competition without a moments hesitation.  However, Kentish Maid whispers something about Millwall connections and President Jago simply gives her a free pass and some additional goals just to make sure she progresses.

However, inspired by watching The Untouchables once again, I shall return next season and call out corruption in the competition whenever it surfaces.  Which will be every other week on past experience.

Excellent news Dinamo... it's always good to have an alternative perspective on things, no matter how misguided and self-absorbed.

(And yes her Millwall mates are well scary - especially with Alex Sharp at the helm).

Since when did I have a goal start? I never calculated that in my scores.  Probably another thing I didn't read properly.  Who needed that though?  At last I have a temporary internet connection so I shall say thank you very much for organising the competition.  I am honoured to be allowed to take part and rather surprised, but a teeny bit chuffed to have won. I never win anything! OK so saddo here did everything possible late on Saturday night to find the Dallas score...yay yay.  I told you I was competitive.

I am very sorry to hear about Lady Jago and indeed it means no washing up.  I will back her sincerely and hope she recovers well  I also think cooking/cleaning and all such things should not be tackled by her.

I am disappointed in Dinamo Urchin.  He had already told me he felt I was sackable...in a match where he scored only 4???? To my 13??  Oh dear oh dear.

Onwards and upwards or something.

Thank you to my opponents who were wonderful, especially Baby Jago in the close match.  And well done to Salad Dodger for taking the final to the last game of the four predictions and especially for such a wonderful name.

So if I join the BOTTOM  division that would help Mike get promoted? I suppose I had better support the Thurrock connection and play then.  

That means more long baths on a Saturday morning.  Wondering whether to put 2-0 or 3-0, whether QPR will mess up anything to do with Millwall as usual. (Oh yes they did...hadn't scored in 4 games so scored 3 on Saturday grr grr.  And stopped Millwall getting to the playoffs last season when a fanless set of fixtures would have been SAFE for the world.)

Archived