Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Isthmian League Football Paused

AnfieldTowner

I cannot for the life of me understand this decision, nor our club's support for it.

Football clubs voting not to play football in the current circumstances is bonkers. Will ruin the Christmas of a lot of people, including our players. Thoroughly depressed about the whole situation, just at a time when it seemed there was some hope.

Non league football has become a sad joke and the public won't thank them for it. Another wasted season.

I disagree,

Sport is supposed to be between groups of equal standing with the same circumstances affecting all participants - to this end football lays down situations such as the size of the pitch within certain parameters, size of the ball independant officials and size of the goal posts.

Within this level playing field is the period during which games are played. All teams in the league play on the same days, hopefully play the same number of games against each other.

So tell me those who think the league made the wrong decision how could Folkestone and Margate compete on level terms?

I agree with Steph and Reb the most important thing to me is that as many people come out of this as healthy as possible. Especially those closet to me. 

Decisions have been taken, many of which I find hard to accept, as they have taken away almost a year of my life which I can ill afford. But then as R says one has to accept " the bigger Picture".

When restrictions are finally lifted we will appreciate what we have missed. But will enjoy things all the more. To me returning to watching football and to a near normal life will be like the ending of sweet rationing after WW2 and buying a whole bar of chocolate just for myself!!!!!

Stay safe.....

I agree with AT - that it is the wrong decision.

" the most important thing to me is that as many people come out of this as healthy as possible" I fully agree - and dont see this decision as a choice between the 2. I have been extremely careful this year - and am choosing not to stand behind the goal for example at some games ..   I went into my local town centre today - and it was so crowded - aside from the masks you wouldnt realise there is a pandemic!

" So tell me those who think the league made the wrong decision how could Folkestone and Margate compete on level terms?" - yes it's unfair but no more unfair than say the 93-4 season when enfield had the massive fixture backlog - the league did not extend the season for us and we ended up winning nothing .. (oh how things could have turrned out so differently if we had got back into the conference either that season or next ..)

I just dont get how its ok for the leagues above and below us to all start and have supporters  but not our level -it isnt a consistent decision ... if people are nervous they can choose not to attend ..

Seeing the voting the Isthmian was very split vs the other leagues .. dont see why we should be affected by views in the north?

I am also amazed to read that a solution was not agreed upon before the start of the season for what happens if the season is affected by Covid - a second season of null and void would not be acceptable.

Sorry to rant but I think having ETFC games is 

- great for people's wellbeing - its been a tough year 

- good fresh air - 350 people in a 2500 stadium has been handled so professionally by the club

Plenty of our squad have the ability to play Conf South - we could lose another 3 or 4 in the next month - and the hard work of building this team up is lost -  I genuinely feel we have a great chance of play offs this year - and would be gutted if we failed due to other factors ..

Just my personal opinion - I respect the views of everyone else on here but do feel quite strongly about this .. and this is a forum for debate after all ..

I too respect your view RG. In fact you have put a very strong case and actually there is very little for me to disagree with.  But I suppose I am still sitting on the fence. Probably hiding behind it. Let see what happens by the end of the year.

The coming winter weather may make the current decisions that have been taken null and void.

4 hours ago, Steph1 said:

I disagree,

Sport is supposed to be between groups of equal standing with the same circumstances affecting all participants - to this end football lays down situations such as the size of the pitch within certain parameters, size of the ball independant officials and size of the goal posts.

Within this level playing field is the period during which games are played. All teams in the league play on the same days, hopefully play the same number of games against each other.

So tell me those who think the league made the wrong decision how could Folkestone and Margate compete on level terms?

In that case ALL football should NOT be played until every team in EVERY league is in the same Tier? 

Ps..I bet those agreeing with you will happily watch the London Derby tomorrow.In a league where some teams are in tier 3 whilst others benefit from being in tier 2

Surely our league could have simply guaranteed Margate and Folkstone average gate receipts for their home games until they are out of Tier 3.Surely with 14 million in grants/loans available the league could have filtered a few thousand of that to Margate and Folkstone?

It's seems a bit pointless us all squabbling over whose right or wrong. As I said in my previous note I understand and recognise that so many different views can be argued. But if Boris sticks to his word, that is if he can remember what he said, then in the middle of the month many tiers may be change. But don't hold your breath!!!!!

My concern is that, in order to simplify things for him, we will all be in tier 3.  With the exception of County Durham where no doubt Dom is enjoying his pay-out. 

Ps. I must admit I am rather perplexed by reading the list of Friendly matches being played to day. Surely if leagues are being paused what is this all about. Recognising it allows teams to have playing time there can be little financial gain for clubs if they are behind close doors. Because there will be cost in using stadiums etc which draws on the limited revenue they currently have. Surely next to the virus this is a major concern for clubs.

No wonder there is differences of opinion I am starting to doubt my own!!!!

11 hours ago, Steph1 said:

I disagree,

Ammm try explaining that to the teams in tier 3 in the premier league still playing in front of zero fans.

Level playing field I dont think so 

Archived