Fans Focus - Non League football clubs

With interest in the Cups over for another year, our better players heading to pastures where they will actually get a game and London likely to enter Tier 3 sooner rather than later - is 2020/21 now a write-off for ETFC?

Having called for AL's replacement for some time, and another defeat against lower league opposition, would it make sense to make the change sooner rather than later?

I am afraid I missed to nights game but kept tabs on what was going on. Pleased to see that we were still 2 up with about 14 minutes to go. Could not be believe it when we finished 2-2. But then I wasn't really. Like you CC I have made my views known about  AL.  It is not the first time his lack of organisation in defence has let us down in the last few minutes. Why do we always continue to chase a game already won. 

I am afraid I am getting to old to wait for the phoenix to rise again.

If we'd brought our shooting boots we would have been out of sight by 80 minutes in a game which we largely dominated. Just needed a bit more game management towards the end to see out what should have been a comfortable win. Credit to M&T, they kept at it for 90 minutes, but we were very much our own worst enemy tonight, despite playing pretty well in the most part.

Edited by Barney

Very disappointing game .. but we do sit 3rd in the league - not time to change the manager at all in my view ..

Yesterday was bizarre - very strong performance 1st half, 2 routine headed goals - - and I think everyone was starting to work out what plans needed changing to come back Saturday (I had a wasted "discussion" with my wife earlier in the day about being out Saturday!)

We completely switched off - and let them score, just didnt close down enough, and to be honest Nathan shouldnt have been beaten at his near post (was probably surprised the player was allowed to get through!)

Second goal conceded was worse, where was the defendign for our lives? 

I dont see how the manager can be blamed really - yes taking off both strikers and then having less chioce for penalties was not ideal - but the players should be able to shut up shop ..

I think Cunnington is a great signing for us - think he had gravitas just walking around the centre circle before kick off! Having an outlet for more direct balls was great - he must have won every one, and the link up with Billy was clearly there.

Also really pleased to see Taaffe and Thomas back from injury - I thought Taaffe looked really good vs at the start of the season when I felt he lacked abit of  confidence after injury... 

Was surprised to see Percy start having been on the Braintree bench the night before - but pleased - looking at the stats he has not played 90 mins many times this season - maybe the gap vacated by Ryan will give him the game time and we get to keep him ..

And as for Ryan - people have differing views on him but I personally think he is a massive loss - and if he had been sitting in midfield last night then Maldon would not have got through as easily in the last 15 mins ... was great to see him at the game with his dad and shake his hand (well give him a fist pump!) and thank him for his contribution to the club - 3.5 years of dedication and commitment, always thanking the fans after a long cold midweek away game - he is in my personal all time Towner XI ..

Was most gutted on the drive home about no footy til January - but just seen the other thread and maybe we will be ok after all ..

Yes cup competitions have gone - along with the income - and Andy may have to trim the squad accordigly - but we are still a strong team and play offs are attainable this year.

Special mention to Colin who has done a fantastic job of a whole new range of merchandise - if everyone can help the club by buying a notebook, ice scraper and wallet it will help the club out ... 

And as for Ryan - people have differing views on him but I personally think he is a massive loss 

might not get so many red n yellow cards now ,,, and his coment on how much he is enjoying football now he is at welling  says a lot to me if he didnt like playing foe us why did he stay !!!!!

3 hours ago, Raingod said:

I havent heard the interview but I'm not going to let that cloud my opinion of him .. 

I did hear the interview. To be fair to Ryan, I got the impression that he was more trying to say 'the right thing' for the supporters of his new club rather than having any kind of a dig at ETFC. The fact he paid us a visit on Wednesday probably says more about his feelings for the club rather than an off the cuff remark.

On 09/12/2020 at 22:44, Wildlife rescue said:

I agree he has to go 

The problem isn't Andy Leese . He has had reasonable success wherever he has been.  In my opinion the structure of the club has to change such as the Inner circle have to make way for business Investors  .  Lets face it the same old faces get re -elected  time and again , if this goes on then the club will just keep going around in the same old circles for years to come . As long as the stadium is kept out of developers hands (and that's up to Enfield council anyway) then surely this has to be the path we need to take .  I have suggested this before and been shouted down by some of you but a few years on we are still in the same position we was back then . 

I am now awaiting the avalanche of cat calls ,Boos , Hisses etc . 

3 hours ago, Out_Of_Towner said:

The problem isn't Andy Leese . He has had reasonable success wherever he has been.  In my opinion the structure of the club has to change such as the Inner circle have to make way for business Investors  .  Lets face it the same old faces get re -elected  time and again , if this goes on then the club will just keep going around in the same old circles for years to come . As long as the stadium is kept out of developers hands (and that's up to Enfield council anyway) then surely this has to be the path we need to take .  I have suggested this before and been shouted down by some of you but a few years on we are still in the same position we was back then . 

I think your right  a money man 

Is there - or could there be - an orderly queue of people looking to invest in ETFC?

Watching that documentary of EFC from the 90s a couple of weeks back I was reminded of the way Lazarou treated Enfield FC and Southbury Road. Presumably no-one will want to invest in ETFC unless there's something in it for them? I can't imagine the club would ever accept a Glenn Tamplin type character waltzing in and taking charge.

The way I see it, as a fans-owned club we have 4 options to bring in enough capital to catapult us up the leagues:

1. Go on a magnificent FA Cup Run with a couple of televised matches against Premier League sides;
  2. Become the beneficiaries in the wills of a few wealthy Towners (- perhaps the Club could provide a will-writing service in a tent by the Club shop on match days?);
  3. Euromillions;
  4. Fans and players at a loose end on a Saturday afternoon carry out bank robberies.

I'd suggest the above are discussed at the AGM.

24 minutes ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

Is there - or could there be - an orderly queue of people looking to invest in ETFC?

Watching that documentary of EFC from the 90s a couple of weeks back I was reminded of the way Lazarou treated Enfield FC and Southbury Road. Presumably no-one will want to invest in ETFC unless there's something in it for them? I can't imagine the club would ever accept a Glenn Tamplin type character waltzing in and taking charge.

The way I see it, as a fans-owned club we have 4 options to bring in enough capital to catapult us up the leagues:

1. Go on a magnificent FA Cup Run with a couple of televised matches against Premier League sides;
  2. Become the beneficiaries in the wills of a few wealthy Towners (- perhaps the Club could provide a will-writing service in a tent by the Club shop on match days?);
  3. Euromillions;
  4. Fans and players at a loose end on a Saturday afternoon carry out bank robberies.

I think number 5 is the best bet.

7 hours ago, Out_Of_Towner said:

Depends what you define as success .Andy Leese became our manager after he took his previous club to 11th and 11th in the league in his last two seasons at this level.He then came 11th and 18th? in his first two seasons with us.

Maybe it's not the structure that needs to change but just more decisive action and braver decisions to be made when they are needed

3 hours ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

3. Euromillions;

I think this discussion will be valid when and if we achieve National League south status.That is probably our limit with the crowds and funds currently available..In this league we are currently about 6th in the table for attendances and the same for players wages.So we should be knocking on the door of the play-off's every season.(With Promotion within a few years by law of averages).Anything less is an under achievement.

Edited by lovely stuff
1 hour ago, lovely stuff said:

I think this discussion will be valid when and if we achieve National League south status.That is probably our limit with the crowds and funds currently available..In this league we are currently about 6th in the table for attendances and the same for players wages.So we should be knocking on the door of the play-off's every season.(With Promotion within a few years by law of averages).Anything less is an under achievement.

Law of averages? If that’s the case, then look out the premier league in years to come. I think we will be having this type of discussion for some years to come.

12 hours ago, Out_Of_Towner said:

Fan owned clubs are a good thing but you need the high number in the membership 300 odd won’t do it maybe 10x would be nearer the mark even then that would only go so far. As for an investor what is there to attract them the club has no land a very long lease no real assets would need a very rich guy who wants a football club as a hobby (Mike Ashley) 

The board I believe are doing the best they can with the resources available and give time to club which isn’t easy but maybe new blood can change things however even a new board would have the same constraints and lack of funds that the current board has. If a new board was elected or a large scale resignation of the board all the experience of running the club dealing with the fa etc. would be lost and that cannot be under estimated it would be a long learning curve for a new board which the likes of the fa won’t be forgiven if rules are broken I guess it’s a case of be careful what you wish for

The majority of clubs in our league do not a have rich chairmen but are run on a shoe string.We can compete very well against those clubs because we have a larger fanbase than most of them and are a well run secure club..Unfortunately there will always be a few clubs each season that will be heavily funded by a sugar daddy chairman,These clubs might only shine for a few seasons before the money runs out (or the interest from their chairman runs out),but there will always be several johnny-come-lately clubs that are better funded that the more frugal securely run clubs such as ours in any given season.That is why we need to be top of our game in order to achieve promotion.

Edited by lovely stuff

"Reasonable success" as quoted earlier means different things to different people. It's inexorably tied to ambition, for the club, its officials and supporters. In my view there are four levels of ambition within a club-

1. We want to finish at least one place above the relegation spots. There are times when this is a valid ambition, explained later. Surely this is not the ambition of anyone at ETFC currently.

2. What I call the "status quo" ambition. Happy to plod along without any fear of relegation but not much hope of promotion. This where I see ETFC at present. Talk about playoffs but not really expect them and generally OK with where the club is now.

3. "We deserve to be in a higher place" and everything is geared to getting there. I don't sense any unified belief for this exists within the club.

4. Let's find the glass ceiling" The last level of ambition is usually reserved for clubs who have the financial resources to match their lofty ambition - Salford City is a good example - 4 promotions in 5 years and who knows where their glass ceiling is. 

The first level is valid when a club has little financial resources and may be playing higher than their natural level. For example, my club here in Melbourne had a spell a few years ago where within 5-6 years we went from just avoiding relegation in the Victorian State League Division 2, to winning that league undefeated, to snatching promotion on goal difference from Division 1 and finding ourselves among the top 12 teams in the State and playing the next year in the Victorian Premier League. In all honesty our ambition varied through that era but in the Premier League we were very much in category one - we aimed to finish third from bottom or better. We failed by a couple of points but we gave it one hell of a shot with virtually no financial resources.

The issue with ETFC is - is the collective ambition better than "reasonable success". I hope so because the last few seasons have been mundane - promise a bit but deliver less. 

Getting back to the game.

The substitutions illustrated our manager's mind set. We had 2 forwards who were causing real trouble throught the period when both were on the pitch. First substitution seemed to be necessary because of injury, and it was clear that Britnell was tiring, but when they both went we had nobody to take or harry for the ball in our opponent's half. Result, we were kept under constant pressure and had to succumb.

I thought that Britnell should have not been subbed, although tiring he would at least have given us an out ball.

With regard to the manager he does think he has the quality to close up shop when clearly he hasn't and we are better with an attacking mind set. If we are to change managers then this break is the time to do it. Our 3rd place at the moment is a false position as clubs below us have games in hand.

There is and will not be a rich sugar daddy coming to the club so we have to manage with the board and system we have got. I am sure that the board will always do what they consider is best for the club.

I guess I expected hints of condescending ridicule and sarcasm from a few of you, but  what's new huh  . Don't you all see that a club of our size  should be up to National league South at the very least and the fact that we have only jumped up from two very poor leagues in almost 20 years . Have we ever explored the possibility of finding a benefactor to fund any future success,?? The answer is probably no !!  I am not saying the Inner circle have to leave the boardroom but just stand aside for a business person to push the club on .    It can be done "Concord Rangers"  have risen from where we started and overtook us in a very short space of time. Instead our club plods along competing with the likes of Bowers & Pitsea, Wingate & Finchley , Potters Bar , Chestnuts and next season maybe Wabbey . We should be streets ahead of these clubs not be on the same park as them !!  For Pete's sakes my fellow Towners try to see the wood through the trees , The club in its current format will find it very difficult to gain promotion from this division and  If we do somehow manage it we will likely  struggle badly with our current financial input ...Yes OK we have had a few near misses on gaining promotion but if the extra funding was there we could well of had the momentum and quality to get us over the finishing line , all too often we fall away in the last few weeks of the season and Instead of addressing the root cause of our failures we just blame the manager . Mr Leese has been around this level for many years and to be honest I would of thought he would of just upped and gone by now given what some people think of him here. I believe he is the man for the job but he needs the cash to get the quality here ,and  from where I see it that's not coming soon . 

I now await more snipes from some of you.   

16 hours ago, lovely stuff said:

Depends what you define as success .Andy Leese became our manager after he took his previous club to 11th and 11th in the league in his last two seasons at this level.He then came 11th and 18th? in his first two seasons with us.

Maybe it's not the structure that needs to change but just more decisive action and braver decisions to be made when they are needed

Andy Leese also took Chestnuts from a level 5 club to a Ryman Prem club , A great achievement for club with a small level of support , Also got the ball rolling at Boreham Wood as well, and guess who is two divisions higher than us with similar crowds . 🤑