Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

SSML Spring Cups

8 hours ago, Savagebee said:

The CCL Forum used to be decent back in the day. It's very quiet on there these days.

I'm sure it'll be given a new lease of life with the likes of us (Edgware) and Wembley, NGU, Harefield, Broadfields? All moving West! 

8 hours ago, Rhodes said:
Here's another 'teaser', a bit like Harry and Meghan's pre-interview with Oprah. Hopefully Karen will publish all the group fixtures soon which go on until Saturday 8 May before the two Semi Finals take place on Saturday 15 May so it's quite a lengthy competition compared to other League's and considering there are only eleven teams taking part:

Group A
Saturday 17 April
Biggleswade United v Baldock Town
Dunstable Town v Aylesbury Vale Dynamos
Shefford Town & Campton v Newport Pagnell Town
Group B
Saturday 17 April
Levestock Green v Rayners Lane
Colney Heath v London 

Edited by GRS67

8 hours ago, Savagebee said:

The CCL Forum used to be decent back in the day. It's very quiet on there these days.

You're right it is quiet on thier forum, that said the SSML forum is a pale shadow of it's former self back in the day mid 2000's when it was a hive of activity. 

The only reason it appears to be busy is due to Rhodes inane drivel, posting match reports and photos for each club that no one other than himself is interested about! 

Here's what Rhodes really thinks about this 'Spring Cup' 

"the Spartan League one is a bit of a joke, they just don't seem that bothered and can't be arsed" 

"it's a joke, they should have scrapped it and may still do so in which case Biggleswade United will come crying back to you. I can understand a Division Two Cup as they may be able to make a few quid somehow in outside hospitality." 

Edited by GRS67

GRS67 - Well it's true isn't it that the SSML didn't appear overly enthusiastic about the end of season Cup competition and made the statement below to that effect however it was only later on when a number of Club's showed a keen interest, despite having to play behind closed doors, that they reluctantly changed their mind. You seem a bit miffed about something and apologies if I have ruffled your feathers in some way, is it because you're now regretting not entering the Cup competition when you had the opportunity, you could have easily still arranged all of your friendly fixtures around the group matches: 

As you will see from the following email from the FA, the current understanding is that spectators will not be allowed until 17 May at the earliest, which as the vast majority of clubs require an income from spectators to make it worthwhile financially, it is unfortunately not practical to organise a cup competition starting as late as 17 May, with all sorts of restrictions on ground availability after this date and a closing date of 31 May for matches. Kind Regards Pat Burns

2 hours ago, GRS67 said:

I'm sure it'll be given a new lease of life with the likes of us (Edgware) and Wembley, NGU, Harefield, Broadfields? All moving West! 

Let's hope so ?

2 hours ago, GRS67 said:

You're right it is quiet on thier forum, that said the SSML forum is a pale shadow of it's former self back in the day mid 2000's when it was a hive of activity. 

The only reason it appears to be busy is due to Rhodes inane drivel, posting match reports and photos for each club that no one other than himself is interested about! 

That is very true.

2 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Well it's true isn't it that the SSML didn't appear overly enthusiastic about the end of season Cup competition and made the statement below to that effect however it was only later on when a number of Club's showed a keen interest, despite having to play behind closed doors, that they reluctantly changed their mind. You seem a bit miffed about something and apologies if I have ruffled your feathers in some way, is it because you're now regretting not entering the Cup competition when you had the opportunity, you could have easily still arranged all of your friendly fixtures around the group matches: 

As you will see from the following email from the FA, the current understanding is that spectators will not be allowed until 17 May at the earliest, which as the vast majority of clubs require an income from spectators to make it worthwhile financially, it is unfortunately not practical to organise a cup competition starting as late as 17 May, with all sorts of restrictions on ground availability after this date and a closing date of 31 May for matches. Kind Regards Pat Burns

To clarify - it was the clubs themselves that had said at the Divisional meetings (Premier and Division One) that they did not wish to play without fans and the SSML respected their views.

One club then said they would be happy with a behind closed doors competition and therefore we canvassed all clubs again 25% of members wanted a behind closed doors competition which will now be run.

For Division Two I recommended to the League Committee that due to ground sharing, no floodlights and cricket I would not be able to complete their season but felt we could run a behind closed doors cup competition which was put to all Division Two clubs and ten responded positively.

15 hours ago, GRS67 said:

One of things I'm looking forward to when we join the Combined Counties League this summer is that YOU won't be on thier forum Rhodes! 

And you will not be on this forum? ?

14 hours ago, Savagebee said:

There have been many changes since I was involved.  I think only one has survived  -  My old friend Chris Clapham

4 hours ago, Karen Browne said:

To clarify - it was the clubs themselves that had said at the Divisional meetings (Premier and Division One) that they did not wish to play without fans and the SSML respected their views.

One club then said they would be happy with a behind closed doors competition and therefore we canvassed all clubs again 25% of members wanted a behind closed doors competition which will now be run.

For Division Two I recommended to the League Committee that due to ground sharing, no floodlights and cricket I would not be able to complete their season but felt we could run a behind closed doors cup competition which was put to all Division Two clubs and ten responded positively.

Karen - Thanks for the clarification and for your hard work in arranging the group fixtures, I assume you haven't heard anything from the FA as yet. Why do you think GRS67 got out of his pram in the way he did earlier on, he seems very interested all of a sudden in a competition he 'pooh-poohed' in no uncertain terms and I think is now regretting not entering as it would have given Edgware Town five competitive group games against Colney Heath, Harefield United, Leverstock Green, London Lions and Rayners Lane, they would have then not needed to hastily arrange the friendly with Colney Heath on Saturday 24 April after Biggleswade United 'bailed' on them. 

2 hours ago, Big J R said:

There have been many changes since I was involved.  I think only one has survived  -  My old friend Chris Clapham

Yes he still makes the effort ?

On 26/03/2021 at 16:58, Rhodes said:

Ouch, is that aimed at GRS67, to be fair Edgware Town's friendlies at Cockfosters on 3 April and at Hadley on 6 April look interesting and they would have been well attended had fans been allowed.

We're happy with our fixtures they are far more competitive than what we would have had in Group B 

I don't see this as being a competition between what's best for friendlies or a possibly slightly more competitive Cup competition featuring less than half of the teams in the SSMFL Premier Division only you Rhodes are making into one...

We had the opportunity to wait for a SSML Cup Competition but we took the option of being pro active and arranging our own fixtures to suit our needs. 

I don't see the SSML Spring Cup being very competitive, teams will be severely lacking match fitness and 1 game per week is hardly going to do shake off the cobwebs. 

It'll be the same for those playing friendlies except with two games per week match fitness will be reached much faster. 

Edited by GRS67

16 hours ago, GRS67 said:

We're happy with our fixtures they are far more competitive than what we would have had in Group B 

I don't see this as being a competition between what's best for friendlies or a possibly slightly more competitive Cup competition featuring less than half of the teams in the SSMFL Premier Division only you Rhodes are making into one...

We had the opportunity to wait for a SSML Cup Competition but we took the option of being pro active and arranging our own fixtures to suit our needs. 

I don't see the SSML Spring Cup being very competitive, teams will be severely lacking match fitness and 1 game per week is hardly going to do shake off the cobwebs. 

It'll be the same for those playing friendlies except with two games per week match fitness will be reached much faster. 

So you get match fit in April.

What do you plan on doing for May, June and July until the season starts in August?

It's strange Karen hasn't posted the group fixtures for the Gladwish SSML Spring Cup as yet as according to Guillem Balague's recent 'Chairman's Corner' feature on the Biggleswade United website the FA have already sanctioned the competition: 

Biggleswade United, Chairman Corner: A Spring Cup as football returns (biggleswadeutd.com)

GROUP A
Saturday 10 April

Baldock Town v Aylesbury Vale Dynamos
Dunstable Town v Shefford Town & Campton
Newport Pagnell Town v Biggleswade United
Saturday 17 April
Biggleswade United v Baldock Town
Dunstable Town v Aylesbury Vale Dynamos
Shefford Town & Campton v Newport Pagnell Town
Saturday 24 April
Aylesbury Vale Dynamos v Biggleswade United
Baldock Town v Shefford Town & Campton
Newport Pagnell Town v Dunstable Town
Saturday 1 May
Aylesbury Vale Dynamos v Shefford Town & Campton
Biggleswade United v Dunstable Town
Newport Pagnell Town v Baldock Town
Saturday 8 May
Aylesbury Vale Dynamos v Newport Pagnell Town
Baldock Town v Dunstable Town
Shefford Town & Campton v Biggleswade United
GROUP B
Saturday 10 April 

Leverstock Green v Colney Heath
Rayners Lane v Harefield United
Saturday 17 April 
Levestock Green v Rayners Lane
Colney Heath v London Lions
Saturday 24 April 
Harefield United v Leverstock Green
Rayners Lane v London Lions 
Saturday 1 May 
Harefield United v Colney Heath
London Lions v Leverstock Green
Saturday 8 May 
Colney Heath v Rayners Lane
London Lions v Harefield United
Saturday 15 May
Winner Group A v Runners Up Group B
Winner Group B v Runners Up Group A

1 hour ago, petethegreek said:

So you get match fit in April.

What do you plan on doing for May, June and July until the season starts in August?

We're using this time to build a side for next season, it's all about getting games and our players who have only played a couple of games together as a team getting a run of games. 

Pre season will be in early July getting ready for the season in August 

Edited by GRS67

Given the fact our request to the FA was only submitted on Friday and that the FA don't hold meetings at the weekends I don't know where the Biggleswade chairman is getting his information from regarding the sanctioning of the competition.

Edited by Karen Browne

28 minutes ago, Karen Browne said:

Given the fact our request to the FA was only submitted on Friday and that the FA don't hold meetings at the weekends I don't know where the Biggleswade chairman is getting his information from regarding the sanctioning of the competition.

Prob same place he gets his so called punditry of Spanish Football! 

On 27/03/2021 at 01:28, Savagebee said:

Savagebee - The Combined Counties League never seems to really get the juices flowing does it for want of a better expression, I don't know why, not like the SSML does anyway and some other League's. It was coincidentally founded in 1922 as the Surrey Senior League as that was the same year the South Midlands League was formed, it only became the Combined Counties League as recently as the 1979/80 season and Guildford & Worplesdon were inaugural winners. Sorry, I realise this is nothing to do with the SSML Spring Cups:

Combined Counties League Table - 1979/1980

Pos  Name                            Pld    W    D    L   GF   GA  Pts
   1  Guildford & Worplesdon           28   23    5    0   85   18   51
   2  Ash United                       28   21    3    4  107   28   45
   3  Malden Town                      28   19    4    5   64   37   42
   4  British Aerospace (Weybridge)    28   16    9    3   74   34   41
   5  Chessington United               28   17    1   10   70   38   35
   6  Westfield (Surrey)               28   13    8    7   66   40   34
   7  Cobham                           28   12    7    9   48   47   31
   8  Lion Sports                      28   11    3   14   55   45   25
   9  Godalming & Farncombe United     28    9    7   12   42   44   25
  10  Hartley Wintney                  28   10    5   13   48   55   25
  11  Lightwater                       28    9    5   14   44   61   23
  12  Sheerwater                       28    6    5   17   34   72   17
  13  Yateley Town                     28    4    1   23   35  109   11  *
  14  Virginia Water                   28    3    3   22   28   88    9
  15  Clarion                          28    3    2   23   31  115    6  #
* - Yateley Town 2 points awarded
# - Clarion 2 points deducted
Edited by Rhodes

6 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Savagebee - The Combined Counties League never seems to really get the juices flowing does it for want of a better expression, I don't know why, not like the SSML does anyway and some other League's. It was coincidentally founded in 1922 as the Surrey Senior League as that was the same year the South Midlands League was formed, it only became the Combined Counties League as recently as the 1979/80 season and Guildford & Worplesdon were inaugural winners. Sorry, I realise this is nothing to do with the SSML Spring Cups:

Combined Counties League Table - 1979/1980

Pos  Name                            Pld    W    D    L   GF   GA  Pts
   1  Guildford & Worplesdon           28   23    5    0   85   18   51
   2  Ash United                       28   21    3    4  107   28   45
   3  Malden Town                      28   19    4    5   64   37   42
   4  British Aerospace (Weybridge)    28   16    9    3   74   34   41
   5  Chessington United               28   17    1   10   70   38   35
   6  Westfield (Surrey)               28   13    8    7   66   40   34
   7  Cobham                           28   12    7    9   48   47   31
   8  Lion Sports                      28   11    3   14   55   45   25
   9  Godalming & Farncombe United     28    9    7   12   42   44   25
  10  Hartley Wintney                  28   10    5   13   48   55   25
  11  Lightwater                       28    9    5   14   44   61   23
  12  Sheerwater                       28    6    5   17   34   72   17
  13  Yateley Town                     28    4    1   23   35  109   11  *
  14  Virginia Water                   28    3    3   22   28   88    9
  15  Clarion                          28    3    2   23   31  115    6  #
* - Yateley Town 2 points awarded
# - Clarion 2 points deducted

Be interested to know which league is actually the stronger and has the better attended clubs? 

I would assume that a new Division made up from the Combined Counties /Hellenic and SSML would be diluted so the standard would be difficult to ascertain from the get go. 

I think it may provide us with a easier route to promotion than currently in the SSML 

Edited by GRS67

Was there a missed post above, to be honest I think Edgware Town will make a huge mistake to join the Combined Counties League, it might be an easier route to Step 4 but it won't be so enjoyable as being in the SSML, you have to be true to yourself in football and Haringey Borough, for example, took an easier route to Step 4 when they joined the Essex Senior League in 2013/14, the Club haven't been able to look themselves in the mirror ever since.

3 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Was there a missed post above, to be honest I think Edgware Town will make a huge mistake to join the Combined Counties League, it might be an easier route to Step 4 but it won't be so enjoyable as being in the SSML, you have to be true to yourself in football and Haringey Borough, for example, took an easier route to Step 4 when they joined the Essex Senior League in 2013/14, the Club haven't been able to look themselves in the mirror ever since.

Are you sure Rhodes?

Haringey have enjoyed thier best period in thier history since they left the SSMFL they have never looked back! 

You seem to be missing the main point Rhodes (not for the first time) it's NOT Edgware's decision to leave the SSML, as I said most at the club want to remain, it's the SSMFL who want to get rid of thier southernmost clubs! 

The FA reorganisation has allowed the SSML to go ahead with it's plans to rid itself of the likes us, Wembley, NGU and Harefield to focus on allowing more clubs from the United Counties League move across.