Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tuesday 25 May - Gladwish SSML Spring Cup Final

Plenty of opportunity to discuss the eagerly awaited Final on Tuesday 25 May at Pancake Lane between Colney Heath and London Lions, albeit strangely both no longer SSML Club's:

Billede

I'm just wondering whether £8.00 is a little bit on the 'pricey' side for the Final next Tuesday and might deter one or two people, I hope I am wrong and I assume it includes a free programme:

Billede

Edited by Rhodes

The line ups for this evening's Final and what a start, London Lions already lead 1-0 through, who else, Austin Lipman and Colney Heath are down to ten men with Matt Standen seeing red:

Colney Heath - C. Sansom, D. Knaggs, M. Standen, S. Doolan, J. Lovell, M. Jessop, C. Griffin, J. Woods, S. Walsh, B. O’Connor, G. Devine. Subs: H. Lewis, D. Clifton, H. Shepherd, Bailey, K. Rahho

London Lions  - Samberg, Rinsler, Goldberg, Adam Lipman, L. Levenfiche, J. Cohen, Mooney, T. Levenfiche, Kyte, Austin Lipman, R. Cohen

Edited by Rhodes

London Lions lead 2-0 at the break with Max Kyte adding to Austin Lipman's early thirty yard free kick thunderbolt with a precise header following Rob Cohen's pinpoint cross. Who would have ever imagined London Lions lifting the Gladwish SSML Spring Cup however they are just 45 minutes away from doing so. 

The game is actually on Radio Verulam if you weren't already aware, Colney Heath have pulled a goal back through, who else, George Devine so we're in for an exciting final 25 minutes: 

Cup Final Fever - Local radio from St Albans (radioverulam.com)

Billede

Edited by Rhodes

It's nail biting stuff at Pancake Lane, London Lions are now down to ten men and Colney Heath are throwing everything bar the kitchen sink at them for an equaliser going into stoppage time. The Final has really put the icing on the cake for the competition.

London Lions incredibly lift the Gladwish SSML Spring Cup beating 'the mighty' Colney Heath 2-1 with goals from Austin Lipman and Max Kyte, attendance to be confirmed but it looked a decent figure:

Billede

1 hour ago, petethegreek said:

Shame there were not more teams entered.

Like Edgware Town you mean, it's disappointing but I'm sure Club's are regretting it now due to the success of the competition as well as the Division 2 Spring Cup, the likes of Stotfold were scrabbling around for post season friendlies so it doesn't make any sense.

10 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Like Edgware Town you mean, it's disappointing but I'm sure Club's are regretting it now due to the success of the competition as well as the Division 2 Spring Cup, the likes of Stotfold were scrabbling around for post season friendlies so it doesn't make any sense.

You can stop banging that drum now Rhodes, it's ail done and dusted. 

The competition was a non event until it reached the Semi Finals 

I'd be interested to know what the crowd figures were for the Semi Finals and Final, do you have that information Rhodes? 

Both Finalists played their last game as a SSML club last night, not quite how the likes of Biggleswade United or Colney Heath expected it to pan out ?

Congratulations to London Lions on thier win ????????

Edited by GRS67

Semi Finals were played behind closed doors as they were held on Saturday 15 May (prior to the Government lifting restrictions).

The attendance for the Final was 220

1 hour ago, GRS67 said:

You can stop banging that drum now Rhodes, it's ail done and dusted. 

GRS67 - I was only wondering why Edgware Town didn't enter the competition that was all, it didn't make any sense for you not to do so and I think you regretted it afterwards, Rak would have appreciated the minimum of five extra and more competitive fixtures against London Lions, Colney Heath, Leverstock Green, Harefield United and Rayners Lane, you could have still played pretty much all of your friendly fixtures during midweek. 

26 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

GRS67 - I was only wondering why Edgware Town didn't enter the competition that was all, it didn't make any sense for you not to do so and I think you regretted it afterwards, Rak would have appreciated the minimum of five extra and more competitive fixtures against London Lions, Colney Heath, Leverstock Green, Harefield United and Rayners Lane, you could have still played pretty much all of your friendly fixtures during midweek. 

Give it a rest mate, you're sounding like a broken record 

32 minutes ago, Karen Browne said:

Semi Finals were played behind closed doors as they were held on Saturday 15 May (prior to the Government lifting restrictions).

220, that's a decent crowd but with people starved of being able to attend games it's not a surprise 

1 hour ago, GRS67 said:

220, that's a decent crowd but with people starved of being able to attend games it's not a surprise 

Yes, and at £8.00 a head it was quite a nice little earner on the night, would Leverstock Green have received any of the gate receipts for hosting the Final or would the Club retain the bar, catering and refreshments profits

On 26/05/2021 at 11:12, Karen Browne said:

I would put the attendance at last night's final in excess of 300.

6 minutes ago, petethegreek said:

I would put the attendance at last night's final in excess of 300.

You mean the Division Two Spring Cup Final, I gather the attendance was around 350, who would have thought it would be more than the Gladwish Spring Cup Final at Pancake Lane however I wonder whether the £8.00 admission put some people off whereas it was only a bargain basement £5.00 at Manor Fields including a free programme.

6 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

You mean the Division Two Spring Cup Final, I gather the attendance was around 350, who would have thought it would be more than the Gladwish Spring Cup Final at Pancake Lane however I wonder whether the £8.00 admission put some people off whereas it was only a bargain basement £5.00 at Manor Fields including a free programme.

Decent Crowd it must be said. 

Looking forward to the London Senior Cup Final on Bank Holiday Monday at Silver Jubilee Park KO 1PM

Should be a bumper crowd as AFC Wimbledon U23 take on the winners of tomorrow's Semi Final between Hanwell Town and Tooting & Mitcham United 

Edited by GRS67

4 minutes ago, GRS67 said:

Should be a bumper crowd as AFC Wimbledon U23 take on the winners of tomorrow's Semi Final between Hanwell Town and Tooting & Mitcham United 

Haringey Borough must have been sick at losing 5-4 on penalties to Hanwell Town at Coles Park in the Quarter Final on Tuesday, two former SSML Club's, Hanwell Town did a West Germany in 1990 and netted all five of their penalties with ease although I still feel Shilton could have made a bit more of an effort in Turin to save one.