Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

It’s going to be a long lonely season

I predicted this at the start of lockdown.As a club we had a big chance (and a lot of time) to reflect and put in place a new way forward 

We chose to stick and probably waste another season.Maybe the world and football will be in a more secure place at the start of next season to put a new bold plan and vision for the club in place? Who knows

I spoke to a few guys Yesterday and everyone seemed concerned and rightly so.

such a tricky time of the season to axe the manager and coaching team when players are committed and settling into their teams for the new season elsewhere.

tough early weeks to overcome I’m sure replacements are being searched for, this is one result that doesn’t require a scientific opinion, the team looked lethargic, unfit and incapable.

it can only get better

Bottoms up i hope your right  but it dont look too good  2 games before we start the season

Enfield Town: McDonald, Urquart, Kirwan, Thomas, Joseph, Bray, Mubayi, Kiangebeni, Faal, Youngs, Taafe.

Subs: Maja, Gyebi, Trialist A, Trialist B, Nzembeia, Connolly, Sawaneh, Chappell.

that was saturdays team  who is Kirwan ,Sawaneh , Has Mo signed on yet or will he go else where , looks like billy has gone for good 

why do we still have trialist  with 2 games to go i thought Andy was going to use the last 3 games to get the first team working together

any news an  Adam Cunningham will he be fit for the start

An average of 4-1 against for the first 5 friendly matches. The worrying thing is that with a small squad Andy has been forced to play most of those expected to be in the first team in all of the friendlies so far. So we've been watching most of the first team.  Playing 3 much better teams in the first 5 matches hasn't helped forming a confident playing unit. For me only one of the newer players looks promising; Sawaneh - the fast left winger - seems to be the only decent new player capable of reaching the highest standard in the Isthmian Prem. McDonald, Urquart, Thomas,Joseph, Kiangebeni, Youngs and Taaffe are all capable players at this level. Mo hasn't signed on yet and I can't see him staying for very long. The remaining playing seem average at best. Realistically that effectively leaves at least 3-5 players short of having a team capable of challenging the best teams in the league. Unfortunately Taaffe and Cunningham are injury prone and frankly can't be relied upon to play regularly. With nearly half a team short at this stage, Andy really has got his work cut out - all the best to him and the staff. 

Edited by Outoftowner

Andy Leese finished 11th and 11th with Chesham in the two seasons before he joined us.He has also averaged 11th place in the full seasons he has been with us.

He seems a good bloke and a solid manager,but iwe haven't found a succesful style of play and anything resembling a settled side in the last 3-4 years

When Al first came I my opinion of what to expect from AL from what I had seen previously and from other acquaintances around the non-league circuit. This caused quite a lot of abuse and criticism from other members. In fact, at the time, I described the team he put out for the first league match of the season as not being an Enfield team. 

However, in the following seasons I had to concede that things appeared to be on up. 

This year however, allowing for covid etc, I became concerned that the club appeared to be to fixed on ground improvements  rather playing staff. Like many others I was to happy contribute towards the request for funds. Regarding ground improvements the FA appear to have unspent millions for grants to meet this. Has this been researched?

As I said several years ago, what good is a well kept Stadium if you do not maintain a Team good enough to bring revenue through the turn styles. " Its all Fur coats and no Knickers.

Money has to be raised if the club is to survive.    

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

2 hours ago, andyetfc said:

I just hope some people don’t blame the virus for the poor start. It’s affected everybody.

You can’t blame Covid for this ,, start with the management team then work down  . It makes me laugh how other teams can find good players and we struggle??

19 hours ago, lovely stuff said:

Andy Leese finished 11th and 11th with Chesham in the two seasons before he joined us.He has also averaged 11th place in the full seasons he has been with us.

He seems a good bloke and a solid manager,but iwe haven't found a succesful style of play and anything resembling a settled side in the last 3-4 years

In Andy's defence, those last two years at Chesham he did also reach the 2nd and 1st Round of the FA Cup and made decent FA Trophy progress - giving 3 League One sides tough tests and even beating Bristol Rovers. Both seasons we ended up 7/8 games behind every other team in the league before Xmas and trying to play catch-up while away games were still getting called off by bad weather. Take the 4 seasons at Step 3 we had before the cup run interrupted seasons and he averaged approx. a 4th place finish (6th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd)

I haven't been to any matches yet so I am not in a position to comment on what has been reported and discussed. However, I have been doing some home work especially on our three new signing with " conference" experience!!! which AL announce would be his coup for the coming season.

Of the three only Rian Bray appears to have had actually had a number of games with conference sides. Of the other two, for my part, I can only find one of them having had only 1 game. Regarding this I am open to correction.

I have also thought that AL signing of players has more to do with how many clubs they have on their CV rather asking them why they left.  Often this attitude has been followed by us losing some more talented younger players who are just challenging for first team places. But then I am sure I will be told that it was because we do not have financial resources to keep them.

Consequently I have to ask the same question I have put forward many times. Where is your revenue generated and how should it be spent?  What is what is more important? Using it primarily to raise a successful team which creates income or plough most of it into a Stadium that raises nothing but more expense.  

As a successful team would fund the latter I, for one, would be happy to contribute towards a fund towards it creation. But on the condition we have a new Manager/Coach.  Particularly a young one who doesn't have to rely on a little black book!!!!

After all I have said, I still hope the team make me eat my words by coming competitive again this season. With a lucrative run in both cups. I will now hid behind the sofa until after Carshalton!!!

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Having bought another season ticket for this season OT I think I will use it, come what may, to see some homes games. For a few weeks anyway to see what happens. Mind you we seem to have very large goals for the visiting teams to score in, if home pre-seasons matches are any thing to go by, and only little ones for us.

However I always live in hope as to where the Town's future lies. Some might say that is why they call stupid. But then I seldom fight against it. It being against my religion. Me being a devout coward!!!

Thanks for your affection but I am long past any of that hanky-panky. If I could remember what that was. Anyway I didn't know you could stoop that low!!!! But then everyone tells me that, like them, I should try getting behind the manager.

Regards.

I appreciate that we've yet to lose a single league or cup game this season, but it just feels very stale already. The squad looks weaker than last season and there is nothing to suggest they'll be pulling any trees up this year. I think the board can be excused for focusing more on keeping the club afloat during Covid rather than assembling a stronger playing squad. But what seems evident now is that AL doesn't have the ability to bring in and put together a better team.