Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Town v Haringey Borough

littlehampton

Living distance away, I couldn't get up for last nights thrilling League win, in added time, against north London rivals Haringey Borough.

After our unexpected first reverse of the season, against Lewes last weekend, it was important we bounced straight back, ahead of our FA Cup match this Saturday at the Queen Elizabeth Stadium. In a very close encounter, bounce back we did, to claim the three points and climb back to third in the Premier Division table.

Congratulations and very well done to Andy and our players on an excellent result. There was a big noisy crowd, and a great atmosphere last night. If you were there, please share your own thoughts with others on the game. Cheers! 

Amazing, littlehampton, that you have no replies after one of the best Town performances for some time. This website's definitely NOT the ETFC!

Fantastic end to end game. Haringey were fast, fit and determined, Town resilient in all departments and wore them down at key moments. Town were very unlucky with two goal bound efforts hitting the inside of the bar, then upright, in a five minute spell.

Something has changed about Town. They look strong in all Departments with backbone and and a will to win. Could be an interesting season.

20 minutes ago, 55 seasons said:

Amazing, littlehampton, that you have no replies after one of the best Town performances for some time. This website's definitely NOT the ETFC!

Fantastic end to end game. Haringey were fast, fit and determined, Town resilient in all departments and wore them down at key moments. Town were very unlucky with two goal bound efforts hitting the inside of the bar, then upright, in a five minute spell.

Something has changed about Town. They look strong in all Departments with backbone and and a will to win. Could be an interesting season.

Comments are on the previous thread      as nobody started one on Tuesday night.  Plenty of replies on there.  This thread is AFTER all those replies.

Great result...however no way was it all one way traffic.  

I feel yet again that the officials could be better. Stats show on Tuesday 2 town players booked no Haringey players 

I know we have an ex ref on here but surely I’m not the only one on here to see how bad the refs are.

lets hoe we get a better ref on Saturday 

bring on Saturday I can’t wait 

I do wonder whether the quality of referees is affected by the number of referees deciding to call it a day due to the abuse they get from the sidelines. Ultimately if just a few referees at each level decide that it's not worth the bother, lower ranked referees will need to be promoted to fill the gaps. We've been through this before, I'm definitely not saying that the crowd shouldn't use its home advantage to influence referees decisions, question bad decisions etc. (I certainly do) but what's not OK in my opinion is fans seeking out the referee at the final whistle, surrounding the tunnel as they leave the pitch, and shouting personal abuse (which I've seen a number of times at Town, and which really does leave a bad taste).

You hear reports of grass roots level kids games officiated by junior referees, who are children themselves, being subject to all sorts of abuse from parents, and basically giving up. This can't be right, and I think needs to be addressed from top down with a zero tolerance stance at Premier League level - if the right example is set at the top that it's not OK to abuse referees then this will surely filter down to our level and beyond, and hopefully mean that more referees are encouraged to stay in the game, or take up officiating, which will only increase the quality.

Sorry if this is coming across as a bit of a rant and moving the conversation away from the match, but it's something I feel pretty strongly about - I've refereed a couple of friendly games in the distant past (admittedly without any formal training), and it's SO much harder than it appears from the sidelines.

Anyway, let's not detract from a good win - I wasn't at the game, but it sounds like it could have gone either way, so we need to be thankful we got the result we wanted. As always, I appreciate the thoughts and views of those that are at games, it's nice to see plenty of differing opinions on performances, and how we are progressing ? Let's hope we keep up the intensity for the Hadley game, as any complacency will see us go out the cup pretty quickly.

Edited by Barney

To be fair Barney, Tuesday's referee, who didn't have a great game, passed down the tunnel unmolested at the end of the game.

Liking this new, resilient, Town side, who seem capable of squeezing out wins in tight games where previous incarnations could not.  Cautiously optimistic

11 minutes ago, Father Jack said:

To be fair Barney, Tuesday's referee, who didn't have a great game, passed down the tunnel unmolested at the end of the game.

Cheers FJ, and good to hear - I wasn't saying it happens all the time, just something I have seen previously. Would be very happy to hear that this is no longer an issue, as I don't think it reflects well on the club.

For those who missed the game, there is a comprehensive match report on the ETFC website:

Late Drama in Thrilling Derby Win

A late Lewis Taaffe goal against a strong Haringey side saw Town claim victory in a thrilling North London derby writes Charlie Baker.

With both sides looking to bounce back from defeat at the weekend, there was a cracking atmosphere from both sets of fans which was quickly translated onto the pitch. The visitors started the brighter, with full backs David Olufemi and former Towner Bobson Bawling causing some early problems for our defence. Our first chance came when Rian Bray headed inches wide from a cross, and minutes later Sam Youngs had a shot stopped by Boro keeper Tiernan Parker.

Town started to gain a grip on the game after struggling early on and were creating chances – this time Mo Faal’s looping cross was scrambled off the line. Haringey always posed a threat, however, and almost broke the deadlock themselves – Georgios Aresti bearing down on goal and firing just wide and Olufemi having his low drive saved by Nathan McDonald.

Town were beginning to get sloppy in possession and our visitors had even more chances to take the lead, as McDonald thwarted Aresti and saved again from the following corner. Our best chance of the half came just before half time – Lee Chappell’s half volley from the edge of the box brilliantly saved by Parker, as the teams went into the break level following a topsy-turvy half of football.

HT: 0-0

The second half began just as the first had ended, with high intensity and chances right from the off.
Faal was causing Boro problems just as he had done two seasons ago, but he couldn’t find the back of the net on this occasion as his low shot was gathered by Parker. Then, Lee Chappell once again came agonisingly close to being the surprise name to break the deadlock, as his 25-yard free kick smashed the underside of the bar before being scrambled away.
This breathtaking encounter was now even more open than before – Faal striking the woodwork for Town for the second time in as many minutes, while Boro raced down the other end and struck a free kick just wide.

But just as they had done in the first half, the visitors began to take control. Aresti, who could’ve had a hattrick, headed just wide after another flowing move. Roman Michael-Percil then missed possibly the best chance of the match – the Boro forward somehow missing an open goal from about two yards out, which provided a wakeup call for Town.

Lewis Taaffe was introduced to freshen us up and was quickly involved, having a curling shot well saved following a smart short free kick. Tensions were high, and just when it looked like we were heading for a goalless draw, the decisive moment came.

Town won a corner in the 92nd minute, and following a penalty box melee, Taaffe scrambled the ball home to spark joy and break Haringey hearts. The game could’ve gone either way, and could’ve been about 5-5, but we showed resilience against a skilful side to take all three points and move up to third in the table.
________
Enfield Town: McDonald, Chappell, Smith, Maja, Bray, Gyebi, Kiangebeni, Youngs (Taaffe), Cunnington, Faal (Joseph), Coker.

Subs Not Used: Kirwan, Muleba, Walsh

Attendance: 509

Really enjoyed Tues night and agree with the comments above ..

Taaffe looks back to his old self of a few seasons ago and is hopefully over his old injury worries.

The  goal was his 3rd involvement in his short time on the pitch! 

We rode our luck at times - but so did they - and I think we deserved it overall

The players seem to be linking up well .. and to play so well without the likes of Scott (where was he?), Lyle and Josh shows how the squad is developing..

We seem more resilient this season .. 

Great to see a certain Mr Bricknell with the boys on Tuesday night - possible return?

And the crowd were fantastic - didnt hear any of the tannoy announcements from behind the goal - heard a few people talking on the way out about not coming down for years, great experience and will do so again! Nights like this will certainly attract new fans

What entertainment does £11 buy you?

for me it’s belonging to the club, enjoying live sport, my national game, a great off pitch atmosphere and positivity from everyone 

Great to see the ambulance chasers and moaners back in their caves while real supporters backed the team right till the very end, almost all but responsible for sucking that ball in over the line.

positivity builds positivity, glad the negative posts are no where to be seen.

Roll on Saturday and an FA Cup tie, brilliant 

Just what the Doctor ordered. Must say watching the highlights certainly picked me up.  I wish I had been there but unfortunately I was back in bed again, but not in a Cave.

Do you ever think BU that some criticism can have an influence? It doesn't mean that those who ask questions don't care. 

I so wanted to be there today but will be checking every 5 mins the score and another win will be my pick me up for the weekend.

Hope to be back soon!!!!

On 18/09/2021 at 12:00, 4wembleyfinals said:

Just what the Doctor ordered. Must say watching the highlights certainly picked me up.  I wish I had been there but unfortunately I was back in bed again, but not in a Cave.

Do you ever think BU that some criticism can have an influence? It doesn't mean that those who ask questions don't care. 

I so wanted to be there today but will be checking every 5 mins the score and another win will be my pick me up for the weekend.

Hope to be back soon!!!!

Problem with your posts are they generally surface when we lose and the criticism isn’t constructive, you’re not the only one, you’re in good company with a couple of others.

Are you sure BU that there are only a "couple of others"?

Never mind we will probably never fully agree but the end product I am sure, what we both want, is what's best for the Club.   

On the other hand to me it seems as if you and IB are trying to make all this personnel. If so may I suggest if you wish to criticise what I write please do me the courtesy of telling where I am " always" wrong. Not just cryptic sound bites which have little meaning other than to tell me that you don't like what I have the say. I that case may I suggest you completely ignore my posts then you and IB's views can remain sacrosanct ie inviolable. QED.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals
Add to post