Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FA Cup upwards and Onwards

4wembleyfinals

Great win, now on to Chelmsford.

In the cup a wins a win. Performances are not the prerequisite  because in cup knockout games the man left standing is what all that counts. Especially when we earn some more revenue.

From what I have read so far Hadley certainly gave a another run for the money.

Had to get in first so I can't be accused of  having gone in to hiding!!!!!

Not being negative wasn’t at the game sounds like something we have always done gave away a silly goal and let them back in , am I close we need to tighten up at the back 

did we play well any outstanding players 

wish I was as confident as most on here playing teams below us are always banana skins to us always have been always will be 

let’s hope for another win v Chelmsford 

First Half we controlled the game with a switch to 3-5-2 (ish) from Saturday. Percy shadowed their swift number 7 and kept him quite. We should of been 0-2 up. 

Second Half Hadley came into the game. Pressed towards the end and pushed for an equaliser. 

Good atmosphere at the game. 

Positives - we're through and some good prize money. Billy coming on as sub and his return to the team. 

Chelmsford will be tough of course as they have some very experienced players but no reason why we can't get a result.   

4 hours ago, Bottoms Up said:

Hadley battled hard (so they should) but didn’t really trouble us .

Didn't really trouble us??! Did you not see the Hadley No.7 (Ofori) miss an open goal from 5 yards in the last couple of minutes which would/should have taken us into extra time?

There was much too much long ball football for my liking last night. We just kept giving the ball away. Until, that was, Billy was introduced in the final 20mins and he started linking up with Mo.

Anyway, we survived! (Unlike Hemel who crashed out at the hands of Town Legend, Liam Hope-Hope-Hope playing for Ware).

11 hours ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

See my post in answer to your previous on Enfield v Haringey earlier today.

Yet another cryptic question BU and as you usually show a lack of understanding of my comment agreeing with CC. But, some professionally advice , if you intend to be clever please read what is actually written and not what you think is written before you make your comment. Since in this instant, I said my team. Nothing about ETFC. It's these little words on which those who try to be clever, lose their case. Especially those who show signs of narcissism.

However lets play your game. Since you seem to think to know all my thoughts, you tell me what my answer should be, not  forgetting these days there are 14 in a team. Allowing for the fact that Hope has aged a bit, where do think he could play, or why he should not play, as your question applies. We all await with baited breath for an answer from you for a change. 

Now stop being a bore and grow up and join in the spirit if this forum. It can be quite good fun if you let it. Like me you may want it some day!!!! 

Finally I recommend my post to you, referred to above. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Really enjoyed Tuesday night - great atmosphere from both sides' supporters.

The guy who sold me my ticket said they were expecting the biggest crowd in their history - think they managed it really well! What was the attendence?

It was their cup final, they were really up for it and gave it their all - they didnt look like a team 2 levels below - and could have equalised at the death..

There were certainly some Barnet fans cheering them on which gave it an added edge - fingers crossed we get promoted this season and meet Barnet Boxing Day '22! Remember the last time in 1990!

Andy wasnt afraid to make changes after the Saturday game -

with Walsh and Taaffe coming in - and with the early goal we did more than enough to get through ..

Thought we set up well for set pieces and were organised - did give possession away at times - but a real rough and tumble cup game!

Great to see Billy back in  a Towner shirt! We now have a squad with real depth - and the team seem to have a real sense of togetherness..

Attendance was 361, tidy and lovely little ground too.   Enjoyable evening allround if nothing else to hear the banter between the ref and Mario and Andy.

Also nice to see Darren Purse.

Mario does know what he's talking about, you can tell this just by seeing/hearing what he says.   I believe Andy has his heart in the right place but still not convinced about his methods and style of motivation.

Think may have to stand by the dugout more often, just pity we have the track at QEII. 

Still an entertaining night.

We deserved the win.   However if Ofori and their sub  had their shooting boots on then it probably would have been Hadley in the next round but sport is all about what ifs.

I'm sure Chelmsford will be a much better measure of where we are.

Edited by djwilf

I remember RG the FA cup, back when we won with a 7-1  away to Barnet.

Thanks to you, and DJW, in bringing some of the atmosphere of Tuesday's game. 

Probably DJW our friend BU will have something to say about your comments on Mario and AL. Naughty boy?. Pass the spoon for another stir up.    

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

14 minutes ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

Probably DJW our friend BU will have something to say about your comments on Mario and AL. Naughty boy?. Pass the spoon for another stir up.    

I can't speak for BU, but I'm not convinced he's trying to stir things... I don't think anyone has any issues with people making observations about our management teams style of management, where they're strong and where they're lacking - ultimately if Andy was the perfect manager in every department, he'd probably not be managing a team in the Isthmian Premier. For example, your observations that we don't retain the ball well enough, or sometimes go long too often I think are valid.

As has been said several times (by at least 3 people now): there are some posters on here (of which you aren't the only one), who clearly aren't fans of the management, haven't been since day 1, and can't wait to jump on and post when there's a bad result or two to point out that they've been saying all along that the manager isn't up to the job. In my view, that isn't overly constructive or really promoting discussion (I think we all know your views by now). The lack of posts when we win a game and/or play well are pretty conspicuous by their absence (this thread being an exception ...which you've said yourself was started so that you wouldn't be called out for going into hiding after a win). If we spent nearly as much time and energy getting behind the team when they do well, or backing them when things don't go to plan as we do complaining that the management aren't up to the job when we lose, I feel this forum would be a lot more balanced and reflective of Town fans as a whole, who I think are largely supportive.

Yet another clear and rational explanation of your views, Barney, on what you see are the differences between some supporters. Which is very readable and balanced and therefore I concede is a very good appraisal of the current position.

My only concern is that , in your own words there are "at least 3 people" who believe that many fans are not favourably  disposed towards the manager. That is hardly a majority on the forum. But in the spirit of compromise will you accept that at least 3 other forum members feel like me. Let us say the remainder haven't made up the minds.

Anyway it is always good to read your posts.

As I tried to say to BU I sincerely believe that all subscribers to this forum have the best intentions of the club. Even if views defer. They all want to see the club prosper and stay at the top end of the league and stay in this years FA Cup as long as possible..

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

I’m with Barney on this one. Everybody is entitled to their views but there is a notable difference on here after a poor performance. Quick to criticise, slow to praise. We’ve had our best start to a season for a long time and we have a strong looking squad who, as Father Jack has pointed out, are showing real grit and determination when our backs are against the wall. All positive. Look at our bench the other night!!

I think the manager has done well considering what he’s had to handle. First the Quinton mass exodus, most recently a global pandemic - bet they weren’t on his CV before joining the Town! A lot of credit goes to the Chairman and the Board too. The WWE sponsorship gave the club a real boost and has helped build that all important feel good factor. 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - I don’t think the views on this forum are representative of the broader fan base. Let’s be honest - it’s generally the same dozen or so of us and my guess is there’s not too many who are under 50 (no need to comment, Sweetnicker et al). The last games I got to were about a month ago and it was really good to see so many younger fans (younger than me anyway) watching. Us fans are the lifeblood of the club and we need to do everything we can to get those teenagers through the gates. That’s how I started back in 1977, when a friend from school suggested that I come along to the old EFC.

For me, the best demonstration by far of what our club is about is a Saturday morning. Boys and girls youth teams playing matches left, right and centre; walking football, special needs football and exercise classes on the astroturf; it’s great to see!! Let’s keep the positivity going ? 

35 minutes ago, Benjrider10 said:

I’m with Barney on this one. Everybody is entitled to their views but there is a notable difference on here after a poor performance. Quick to criticise, slow to praise. We’ve had our best start to a season for a long time and we have a strong looking squad who, as Father Jack has pointed out, are showing real grit and determination when our backs are against the wall. All positive. Look at our bench the other night!!

I think the manager has done well considering what he’s had to handle. First the Quinton mass exodus, most recently a global pandemic - bet they weren’t on his CV before joining the Town! A lot of credit goes to the Chairman and the Board too. The WWE sponsorship gave the club a real boost and has helped build that all important feel good factor. 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - I don’t think the views on this forum are representative of the broader fan base. Let’s be honest - it’s generally the same dozen or so of us and my guess is there’s not too many who are under 50 (no need to comment, Sweetnicker et al). The last games I got to were about a month ago and it was really good to see so many younger fans (younger than me anyway) watching. Us fans are the lifeblood of the club and we need to do everything we can to get those teenagers through the gates. That’s how I started back in 1977, when a friend from school suggested that I come along to the old EFC.

For me, the best demonstration by far of what our club is about is a Saturday morning. Boys and girls youth teams playing matches left, right and centre; walking football, special needs football and exercise classes on the astroturf; it’s great to see!! Let’s keep the positivity going ? 

I think you should also mention ALL the supporters who when asked to donate money to help the club during the pandemic ,without them I don’t think we would be where we are  . So I think a very big thanks should go out to them 

I have been reading the various posts on this theme and I am convince they prove the worth of this forum.  It shows just how we all care for the welfare of the club even if though we may  have different views from time to time. 

I do hope, therefore, no one really believes that those members, who sometimes question the playing management's methods, can be correlated with being unappreciative of the hard work done by so many to achieve what the club is today.

In this respect, because of personnel circumstances, my contribution to the club for the past few years has been solely financial. Together with the many others as OT rightly points out.  In addition to donations they, probably like me, still choose to buy an annual season ticket even though they know it may be used for only a handful of Saturday matches.

If nothing else I hope this forum has given us all the opportunity to clear the air.

Finally looking forward to hearing about tomorrows game and the reporting of another win....AND IN THE SPIRIT OF THIS POSTS THEME "UPWARDS AND ONWARDS".

Edited by 4wembleyfinals
Amendments.