Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Worthing

littlehampton

Welcome The Mackerel Men !

This Saturday league leaders Town go head-to-head with pre-season title favourites Worthing at the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium, in what should be one of the closest, most exciting matches of the season.

Both teams are in good form, and will fancy their chances. Town have a !00% home record, conceding only one league goal to date at the QE2 stadium. The Mackerel Men from West Sussex, played away to Kingstonian on Wednesday evening, and registered an impressive  3-4 win, to go second in the table, just one point behind Town with one game in hand.

There should be a bumper crowd for this eagerly awaited match. Both teams will be well supported, and there should be a great atmosphere. Definitely an unmissable match !

Let's really get behind The Town tomorrow, and give Andy Leese and our players maximum vocal support and encouragement throughout this top of the table battle.

Good luck everyone. See you there.

'COME ON THE TOWN'

What a job getting home… an hour to Waltham abbey ?… well that was a tactical mishmash.. how we had Coker at right back up against two wide men and LDV at left back I’m not sure… I think Worthing knocked us out of our shape… for 90 minutes they came at us down their left wing even when their left back was standing on Mario Noto’s toes with no one near him there was still no call to get someone across… goalkeeper to the No6 then down the line all game…in fairness Worthing we’re the better side but we have Mo… A great run and cross for PK’s headed first and a solo run with a trademark side foot into the corner… in the end we could have even nicked it… the downside to the game… some awful passing especially from Scott in the first half… a lot of the mistakes were really basic…the upside was the spirit and ability to score… all in all more than satisfied with a draw…

Amazing work by Mo to set up the first goal. Took on 25% of the Worthing team single-handedly and then sent in a perfect cross for PK to head home. And then he scored a lovely goal himself and was so close to winning it for us at the end! 

Big shout-out to Nathan too. Phenomenal point-blank save in the first half, and an excellent, massive race out of his box to beat a Worthing striker who would have had an open goal.

We were not that far behind Chelmsford, and we came back twice against Worthing (who are better than Chelmsford). We can definitely get a play-off place and, with a fair wind, might get even more than that.

At last I have been able to see  a game for my self. Again Theo I ask the same question particularly about Coker. Why bring  Kirwan off and leave Coker on who at right back appeared to be all at sea. Also, having seen him now several times, please tell me what does Cunnington bring to the team. 

I do feel that Youngs deserves a mention because, especially in the second half, he was the hub of any link up play which up to then had been missing. I would have also liked to have seen Taafe given a spell on the pitch. I am afraid he may be the next to go which would be a shame.

That said I agree that the team showed great spirit in coming back twice.

But the Worthing manager must be furious with his team for continually playing for free kicks  and throwing away their advantage.  Which was exactly what we needed because, with the help of the referee, the stop start of play broke up their pattern. Although very unsettling to our team it did in fact help us to regroup and get back in the game.

Which in turn resulted in us all being delighted that we got at least a point to stay at the top. 10 points out of 12 is a winning way.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Worthing are a very good attacking side - but we knew that already. They are not quite so good at the back though - conceding 5 goals in their last 2 games shows that. I didn't think Worthing allowed us to play. Their high line and pressing contributed to the number of misplaced passes and resorting to lumping the ball up field. Town did eventually look more compact when we switched to 5 across the back and moved Chappell away from their tricky winger - if only the manager had read my post from a couple of days ago he may have tried that from the off!

No Cunnington-bashing from me today. I thought he probably had one of his best games when he came on - there were defensive headers and flick-ons actually landing in Mo's path.

We are definitely not the whole package. But I'm still hopeful we can aim for a play-off spot this season and then you never know.

Very up and down game but entertaining all the same and could have gone either way at the end.

PK is making a real difference this year....his goals and assists are a real factor in our league position.

Tactically didn't understand AC at right back 2nd half.   I know Muleba is one of our fastest players......and hasn't had much game times but Andre is not a defender and never will be.

Their LW caused us issues most of the day yet we put Lee to left back and Ryan had a tough game moving up to LM.

Mo is continuing to make a difference with his work rate and twisting defenders inside out.     Great quality on both his assist and finish in the bottom corner.

Nathan could have been a game changer with his save first half when Worthing hit us on the counter.   Worthing were a decent and organised team..and we proved we can live with anyone.  Here's hoping Scott's injury isn't too bad.

Draw was probably a fair result, especially when some of both team's passing 2nd half was more suitable to the rugby pitch on the field next door.

Keep going Towners.

It was a really left-field tactical shift I agree, but somehow  - don't ask me why - it seemed to work. It was the right thing to move Lee Chappell out if the firing line, as he was being skinned on a regular basis by Jasper Pattenden. Coker seemed to get under Pattenden's skin somehow, and he wasn't quite as threatening after that.

Good overall performance yesterday; think we have now proved that we can live with anyone in this division 

What a game yesterday really enjoyed watching that. Worthing are a great side and we showed we can match them up credit to AL and management

Percy is really in form right now and is looking very good in this side it’s great to hear that Mo is extending his stay with us as he’s been vital . Nathan has made some excellent saves to keep us in it and was good to see Youngs back in the midfield making things Rickover 

also a few of the young players really showed their worth yesterday on the pitch Maja & Gyebi who have been the core of the team so far this season in CB & CM can SEE either one making steps in the football ladder , and I’m pretty sure both are eligible for u23s football if they was to get a move away from Enfield ? 

all in all I’m absolutely buzzing with what’s going on however we must stay grounded !! 

4 hours ago, Father Jack said:

It was a really left-field tactical shift I agree, but somehow  - don't ask me why - it seemed to work. It was the right thing to move Lee Chappell out if the firing line, as he was being skinned on a regular basis by Jasper Pattenden. Coker seemed to get under Pattenden's skin somehow, and he wasn't quite as threatening after that.

Good overall performance yesterday; think we have now proved that we can live with anyone in this division 

Maybe a case of attack being the best form of defence. Making Pattenden think about Coker's potential threat going forward. Anyway it showed why we're on the terraces and Andy, Mario and Ian are in the technical area.

Fantastic assist from Cunnington for our second equaliser.

Cunnington caused Worthing all sorts of problems when he came on, DelleVerde is looking good again, Percy on a sensational goal scoring run well done him, I could watch Maja all day, Jerry and Nathan are great , we are suspect at full back in my opinion and do not have a natural Scott Thomas replacement 

Heyho we are top of the league for at least another week 

This match, between the top two sides in the league, certainly lived up to expectation, and a draw was the fairest outcome in this gripping encounter, which was a great advert for non-league football. Worthing had the better of the first half, but Town stepped up their game after the interval, and were dominant and dangerous for much of the second period. There is a long way to go, but Town have made a great start to the new season, and if they can keep the present squad of players together, maintain / improve current form, there is every reason for optimism that we can make the play-offs this season. Well done to both sides for delivering a very enjoyable, memorable match !

On 17/10/2021 at 19:01, Etfckev said:

I agree Bottoms up I’m a massive fan of the players you mentioned I hope if any of them do leave us we can make some type of profit off them 

The only way we can make money on them is if they are on contact and as we don’t have enough money to put all our players on contract the answer will be we make nothing from them they just go !!!