Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Merstham

seemgee

Not there today .. how are we playing?

Hoping the 10 year celebrations arent a distraction - Merstham at home should be 3 points - especially after Tuesday's loss?

Worthing 1st and Folkestone 3rd are also losing at HT so an opportunity to make some ground up ..

Early subs in the 2nd half if we havent got back on level terms please ...

PS Hornchurch abandoned before HT - power outage - or havent they paid the bill? Only 4 subs, no Bricknell in the squad?

Sounds as if Ref is busy.

Missed getting to game due to being late back from having medical treatment. So sitting at home with fingers and toes crossed. Damned uncomfortable.

Can't wait to hear reports on new player and whether he added to the team. Especially when one sees who's on the bench.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Worried at half time that not only were we losing but losing to a team that were solid and quick and looked a useful outfit…. Different story after the break and showed what the town fans all know… that we are a different team on the front foot… superb performances from Ryan and Jon Maluba flying forward at every opportunity and we simply battered them… The penalty won after a good run from PK I think then non stop attack with PK shooting and the keeper pushing it out to Mo to slot home then a third from the unpredictable Coker who played a big part in our second… Mertsham simply couldn’t get forward with our attacking formation… hard to give a judgement on our new guy as no one really shon in the first half… Well done Andy and Co for an inspiring half time team team talk…..

Theo, thanks for another clear report. Had every intention of going today but I was late back from an appointment.

Glad to read that we finally "got on the front foot". Because, as you know, it has always been part of my mantra. It invariably makes the opposition rethink their plans and whilst doing so they become more vulnerable. " He who dares wins"

Let's keep it up. There is still a long way to go but so far the journey has been good.

Now for next week.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Congratulations and well done to Andy, Mario, Ian, our players, and supporters on delivering this result, which well and truly keeps us firmly in the title race this season. It is very encouraging that we have bounced back straight away, after the hiccup at BS earlier in the week, and it bodes well for the rest of the season. If everyone pulls together, and gets behind the team, there is no limit to what we can achieve this season. Keep the faith, and that fantastic, noisy Towner vocal support going, it really does inspire and motivate our players. COYT

First game for a few weeks I personally thought we were poor in the first half  we made them look like a decent team which I don’t think they are,you had the feeling the longer the game went on it was going to be one of those days, second half we had more intensity primarily being driven on by PK who was deserving of MOM not sure what to make of our new player he had the odd good moment but I’m sure will improve with more game time, once we drew level from the penalty spot we came forward in numbers merstham we’re hitting us on the break at every opportunity some last ditch defending was needed to keep us level we seemed to squander chances at the other end and there keeper was riding his luck at times, we deserved our second goal and the third was the icing on the cake, I was impressed with the togetherness of our team watching them celebrating with the fans after the final whistle was something else

I agree with Rebel. The first half was very flat. There was clearly a better crowd than usual - loved the young announcers, they'll remember that moment - and it was the right time to show them what we'd been treated to in recent times. But we seemed to start off like we did earlier in the season, conceding the advantage to the away side and relying on breakaways and quick balls to the front that rarely amounted to anything.

It's as if the club can only afford half-time teamtalks and not pre-match ones. So many games have gone this way this season.

Second half was a completely different story and I kind of knew it would be. Our midfield pushed further forward and passed side to side to create openings. So much better. Better watch, better atmosphere. The crowd woke up and started singing. It had been noticeably absent in the first half. The old chicken and egg - is it for the crowd to create the atmosphere in expectation or the players to give them something to sing about?

The goals were well taken, the passing and creativity was great and Merstham seemed to have the stuffing knocked out of them by 2-1.

Really enjoyed seeing the kids on the pitch afterwards getting stuck into the celebrations. Again they'll remember that.

So, yeah, went home happy but not sure what happens in the first halves. What are they told pre-match?

First game in quite some time, and a very pleasing second half showing - I wasn't sure at half time whether it was 0-1 because they were a decent side, or we because were a little lacklustre, I think it reality it was a bit of both. Kirwan's only mistake of an otherwise excellent day was a poor touch, and then an attempted recovery tackle which was always likely to lead to a penalty, and we didn't create a great deal until Percy got behind them a couple of times right at the end of the half with some quick feet.

Second half a totally different story, much more intensity and drive - Coker and Percy both heavily involved, and Mo always looking a threat. As others have said, it's a shame we don't start with this intensity - every side will look at where we are in the table, and be up for the game, so we need to match them for 90 minutes. Shout out to all of the back four as well, who (after the penalty) all defended faultlessly, and despite a few dangerous breaks managed to ensure that Nathan had a quiet afternoon in goal.

Certainly lots of positives, there's a togetherness with this team which is impossible not to like, and quality and options to come into the side should we need to change anything. If we stay relatively injury free (especially one or two key players that we really can't replace), then we should be making the playoffs, and I think we have enough X factor in the side to give us a good chance against anyone if we play to our potential. Still, it's a long season, and we still need to maintain these levels over the long haul to make sure we finish top 5.

On 20/11/2021 at 16:55, seemgee said:

FT 3-1 

att 617

Worthing lose  2-1  at home to Cheshunt

That's a great result for little Chestnuts . Nice to see them do us a good turn.  I see there was a 1200 odd crowd at Worthing  , It must of been like a cup final for the Chestnuts. 

I'm sure we can claim the usual 3 easy points at Christmas time and another cup final for them . LOl ?

On a serious note who got caught up in that dreadful traffic on the M25 roundabout ???

On 20/11/2021 at 19:38, Theodopolous said:

Worried at half time that not only were we losing but losing to a team that were solid and quick and looked a useful outfit…. Different story after the break and showed what the town fans all know… that we are a different team on the front foot… superb performances from Ryan and Jon Maluba flying forward at every opportunity and we simply battered them… The penalty won after a good run from PK I think then non stop attack with PK shooting and the keeper pushing it out to Mo to slot home then a third from the unpredictable Coker who played a big part in our second… Mertsham simply couldn’t get forward with our attacking formation… hard to give a judgement on our new guy as no one really shon in the first half… Well done Andy and Co for an inspiring half time team team talk…..

Good Analysis , ?

19 hours ago, Out_Of_Towner said:

That's a great result for little Chestnuts . Nice to see them do us a good turn.  I see there was a 1200 odd crowd at Worthing  , It must of been like a cup final for the Chestnuts. 

I'm sure we can claim the usual 3 easy points at Christmas time and another cup final for them . LOl ?

On a serious note who got caught up in that dreadful traffic on the M25 roundabout ???

We didn't do you a favour we win for our own benefit we are a decent team as you will find out soon enough, a bit arrogant on your part but thats only to be expected. We arrived at Worthing late due to junction 25 being shut but it never affected our magnificent performance.