Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Hornchurch

seemgee

21 hours ago, Theodopolous said:

Cunnington has made a big impact in games he has come on… my dislike is his attitude… when PK bundled past three men and managed to get a shot on target he stood for  20 seconds shaking his head while the fans applauded it… did the same after a lung bursting run from Mo … players giving their all don’t need to be criticised laying on the floor getting their breadth back….. That recovery run back from him after losing possession was a must for him to avoid a barrage of criticism from some supporters.  As long as we get results players will ignore it… if we lose a few games we might see a completely different reaction…..

To play a serious level of football (and I regard our level very serious) you need strong mentality and a thick skin to succeed and if you want to step up levels.

Cunningtons is of an old school mindset where he also praises as well as barracks, what George Borg use to describe as Stick-stick-carrot -carrot- stick.

Cunnington appears to be a very popular player amongst management and team mates. He is very effective and his miserable moaning manner is a minor issue in my opinion. He’ll get us 15 or so goals this season 

Completely agree (although possibly not about the 15 goals ?), sometimes you need players who can change the way we play, and allow us to go more direct - I wasn't at the game on Tuesday, but it sounds like Cunnington's introduction was at least partly the catalyst to us going on to win the game. If players aren't doing as instructed by the management, or aren't making the right decisions, then I've no issue at all with criticism - but this works both ways, and so long as there's some praise and encouragement when players do the right thing, then all good in my book. There have been times this season when our forwards have over played, and looked to beat players when there's an easier option to retain possession which might be more likely to lead to a goal - as much as a run taking on 4 defenders and shooting narrowly wide is exciting, I'd much rather we played one or two quick passes, and worked a better chance to score if that option is on.

Anyway... to get anywhere in this league, you need a squad of players, not just a strong first 11, and you need balance and the ability to change the style of play to match the opposition or circumstances in a game - Cunnington clearly brings that, so let's get behind him as much as we do the rest of the squad.

Edited by Barney

37 minutes ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

Talking about needing a strong squad, any news on the injuries to Scott Thomas and Josh Urquhart?

Thomas (Hamstring) - Andy mentioned in the Merstham programme notes that he was expected to be back at the end of the month. Whether that means back in training, or back available for selection I don't know.

Urquhart (Ligaments, I think) - Believe he's out much longer-term, possibly for the season (obviously hope I'm wrong here).

I was critical of Cunnington when he first came to the Town but I consider that he improves with every game as he has got to know the players strengths and abilities. Also when he is on the pitch Mo has more space as there is a big fella that has to be watched and Mo can play wider often losing his marker(s).