Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Swap shop

urchinman1961

Well we finally got into a play off position at the expense of our visitor's Folkstone today,what a second half it took Folkstone to equalise to kick start us  from the game being one all in the next 11 minutes we were 3 one up,enter Sam Higgins as a sub he was actually unstoppable and got his customary goal welcome back big man,good atmosphere another big crowd and another 3 points the Hornchurch juggernaut continues,up the Urchins 

The typical tough battle I've come to expect from Folkestone. I thought their 6 was exceptional against Tobi and kept him very constrained (apart from the penalty obviously).
I thought Folkestone were stronger in the first half, maybe because we dropped into a back 5 when they had the ball which limited options to get on the front foot.
A sloppy touch from Ollie to let them in for the equaliser but what a volley to make amends - and I think it was that strike that dropped their heads as I felt that was when the tide turned.
I thought the ball crossed the line before Charlie Ruff buried it but I suspect he has a different view.
Sam Higgins didn't look like a player who hasn't been in a game since last September. Not the most mobile of players yet the ball just finds him as though on a magnet. Got 1 good goal and close for a second in just 20 minutes.
Liam looked good again today, especially when he moved to the left wing towards the end of the game.
And the back 5 very solid against some lively front men. Although, for such huge brick outhouses they didn't half squeal and fall over easy.

And loved Lewwis' gamemanship claiming there wasn't a number 19 shirt on the pitch when the wrong number was displayed for the final substitution.

The football from in in the second half was probably the best that I’ve seen from us in the games I’ve been to.  There’s an air of confidence which is allowing our players to show what they are very capable of.  On a fine run.  One game at a time but would it be impossible to get top spot? Aim high. 

1 hour ago, obis said:

The football from in in the second half was probably the best that I’ve seen from us in the games I’ve been to.  There’s an air of confidence which is allowing our players to show what they are very capable of.  On a fine run.  One game at a time but would it be impossible to get top spot? Aim high. 

Was thinking exactly the same thing. Worthing still have to play Enfield, Storford and Lewes in the next few weeks...a few dropped points there and they may well be looking over their shoulder of the chasing pack.

What a fantastic performance again from the whole team against a very physical and drilled Folkstone side who in my opinion were lucky not to get a ew more cards.  It seemed that they came with a plan to make it tough for the Urchins to play and from the first whistle it was all tugs hugs and pulls from their larger players to prevent a free flowing passing game that we like to play.  Tobi put in a good performance although not his best he still managed to get the better of their no.6 and beat the 2 man teams that were always jumping up with him for the ball and an excellent run into the box before being pulled down for the penalty.

We let them back in to the game at 1-1 but I was impressed with the response from the team to go and get the lead back so quickly with the 30 yarder from ollie worth watching again on the footage and from that goal on I though we were the better side and likely winners.

I like Mike Mike thought the ball had gone over the line, But Ruff said in the bar afterwards it's his goal as he smashed it in to make sure it hit the net to be sure!

It was great to see Sam Higgins back on the pitch too.  I've spoken to him a few times and he has been so frustrated and a strong desire to come back and play.  He has been so close to a return for a while so to see him back and scoring a goal was a fantastic way to close out the match and he deserved it for all the hard work taken to get back to full fitness, as do our physio's who worked with him to get him back.

We got to aim high and stay focussed as this title is still up for grabs and with the fanbase and noise growing game by game we got some momentum going now to go with the confidence and togetherness of the squad we have.  We have a great chance to step up and stake a claim to a spot in the nation league south but we have to take this game by game and not worry about Worthing or anyone else.

Keep this going lads we sing loud with you,

Up the Urchins.