Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Hornchurch v Enfield Town

seemgee

McDonald, McLean, Kirwan, Thomas, Bray, Richmond, Taafe, Youngs, Cass, Riley-Snow, Wyllie

Spencer, Cunnington, Soulja_Osekanongo, Sayoud, Della-Verde

26mins played

Della-Verde is on for Thomas (injured)

Cass score from the spot after 22 mins

Hornchurch level on 26 mins

It can't be a coincidence that we have started where we left off. Conceding games in the last 15 minutes. After all we have discussed this over and over again for ages and it has cost us dearly. 

So far it seems that nothing has been done to resolve this. But now is the time, right at the start of the  season, that the coaches come up with an answer and try to nip it in the bud.

Yes I know it early in the season to make such remarks but this is becoming our Achilles heel. If we know it so do many other teams and plan accordingly.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Agree 4WF, we don't finish games well - don't know whether this is a fitness thing, a mentality thing, a lack of substitutes or something else, but it's frustrating that we get ourselves into winning positions and come away with nothing.

Think it's too early to worry - clearly 2 very tough games to start the season, and we've been competitive in both (although I've not seen either), will see how the next 8 or so games pan out before I make too many judgements.

Edit to add: would be good to hear from anyone that's attended the games on how we've played.

Edited by Barney

My view of the game as someone who was there.

We were under the cosh for long periods. We started brightly and deserved our lead which came off the bar onto the back of the keepers head and into the net. Our second goal was a penalty.

Hornchurch were a tough side and had good interplay. Defended as a group and attacked as a group and I would have expected them to tire especially as they used their three substitutes relatively early.

McDonald had a good game and kept the score down. There were periods in the second half when Hornchurch looked tired and their forwards seemed to lose their way as the game wore on. However, when they scored their second they seemed inspired and went all out for the winner whilst we were going through the motions.

Our defenders cant seem to get the ball away when under pressure. That may be a fault of the defenders or, possibly, the midfield who dont seem able to play it out from the defenders. Also I noted that too many time balls to wide men often require the winger to stop in his tracks or retreat to pick the ball up. There were few forward passes to the wings which landed in front of the player. Our wide men are often left isolated without anybody available behind to link up with them.

It was a good exciting game and a pleasure to watch and, in the end, I felt that we were beaten by the better team on the night. On this display both teams will be jockeying for play off places.

Thanks Barney for your observations however I too did get to the game. 

I also appreciate Steph's appraisal.  As usual it was another of his balanced reports from what he saw.

However,  Barney's first para sums up exactly what I am thinking. As I said in my post it is not the first time  concerns have been raised on this point. I would like to think that at last a training programme could be instigated to a address this problem by the coaching staff.  

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

It was an entertaining game and it's been a tricky start to the season so far, but I agree with the comments above that there appear to be obvious areas to address. Losing Thomas early on didn't help but gave a LDV a chance to come on and do his magic.

Holding the ball in advance positions seemed to be a problem near the end of the game and maybe swapping Cass, who had an excellent 60 minutes, with Cunnington might have addressed this, i.e. winning headers and holding the ball up. Spencer for Taffe near the end was a positive move but Cass looked like he'd run himself into the ground.

Overall I thought it was a good display and good performances all round for old and new players was good to see.

Thanks all for taking the time to share your views, sounds like 1 point from 6 is more a case of us playing pretty well, but having 2 tough games than anything major to worry about. I guess we will know more once we've played a few more games.