Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Haringey

djwilf

A rare game that I was able to get along to - and glad that I did. Very impressive first half, where we mostly retained the ball well, and actually had some extended periods of possession in their half where we moved the ball around nicely and worked a few decent openings. Issac was involved in almost everything we did well, showing that he has very good feet and passing range and is an intelligent player. Thomas and Dayton also both showed they are comfortable on the ball, although I do wonder whether those 3 in CM have the legs to do this as well as they did yesterday on a heavy January pitch. Our first goal came from a short corner which was played to Isaac (I think), who delivered a near perfect ball, which Hill put away emphatically with a powerful header giving their keeper no chance.

Very optimistic at half time - we looked assured and organised defensively, and managed to contain Harringay's quick forwards well. The second half was much more backs to the wall, and it's not clear to me whether the midfield 3 tired, or Harringay changed something, but we didn't keep the ball nearly as well, and reverted back to being much more direct. Having said that, apart from the one chance that skimmed the bar, we defended very resolutely as a team and all of the back four and Thomas shielding in front of them can take a lot of credit for this. Our second goal was really well worked down the right between LDV, Spencer and Youngs, and it was great to see the latter make exactly the right decision, playing an undefendable ball at pace across the 6 yard box, which probably would have been put in by a defender if Cunnington hadn't arrived to bundle it in. That should have been game over, but we switched off and were left exposed down our right and the otherwise excellent Spencer had to try to make a challenge, which was adjudged a penalty - it probably was, and looked like he was stretching but I was up the other end, and there were a lot of protests, so I'd like to see it again. Penalty was dispatched, and the melee that followed resulted in a red for their 9. Despite a spirited effort from them, we continued to defend well, and should have made it 3-1 when LDV went clean through with loads of time and space, but their keeper made an excellent save with near enough the last touch of the game.

All in all, a positive performance, although we did seem to tire 2nd half - my MoM would have been Wilson-Braitwaite, who dealt with everything thrown at him, and positionally looked very sound. All of the back 4 deserve credit, along with Thomas (and really the whole team can't be faulted for workrate) - a hard fought 3 points and hopefully we continue with this momentum.

Edited by Barney
Typos