Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A23

rebelbrewer

1 hour ago, DonnyNo6 said:

Well obviously this is just my humble view and based on what I've seen, heard first hand and have noticed over the years involving some of the guys involved in A23.

I guess we've got to look at this with two heads; both the Business side and the footballing side and the group have obviously got a business sense about them given what they are involved with, what they've done elsewhere and what I guess we are all hoping they are going to bring to Slough Town.  The drive from them that they want to be involved with the club in the first place and the fact the current board/committee have gone with them to help drive us forward,(I can only assume there is a business plan/presentation/capital involved) hopefully turns out to be a good thing, time will tell.

I've seen Ash over a number of years via both my kids football where they've been to camps/training days and so on and I've always been impressed with the level of coaching and detail involved with their staff at all times, I know numerous other parents that have been as well.  This has then in turn I guess led to the formation of A23 over time or certainly played a part in it as we see it now and I know that when my son was looking at Academy's to hopefully try/impress via assessments days/training sessions/interviews and so on, the guys at Cox Green's Academy which was run/overseen by Ash were excellent and my lad gave them serious consideration to join after they made him a full time offer.(He went elsewhere in the end but that was down to a couple of other factors and certainly no reflection on them, they were a close second out of all four full time Academy offers he received)

I also then saw what and how the set up worked about 18 months ago when A23 was at the club; my lad who was captain of Ashford at the time played against the A23 U19s and I can honestly say they were the best side I've seen at that level for donkey's years.  Well drilled, coached and super fit against a very good Ashford side who had a brilliant first half of the season in the Isthmian Youth League and won three matches in the FA Youth Cup but they were miles off them and Ashford were playing against the likes of Wealdstone's, Hampton and Richmond's, Boreham Wood's and Bedfont's Academy sides so a decent level of youth football.  I guess we saw some of the benefits at Slough as some of the A23s started to break through and impressed last season and were signed to the club before then the split last summer if that's the best way to describe it.

I've heard the set up at Beaconsfield is really good and again I've been told that youth players from A23 have broken through there and some have gone out on loan elsewhere so I guess I'm saying that the spotting/coaching of future talents is a real strong point of theirs which surely bodes well for us going forward and the joining up of the current youth set up at Slough(some good lads in the U18s both midweek and Sundays) to then feed into the U19s and U23s and hopefully 1st team.

I can only see this as a positive for us.

Thanks Donny, it’s just how this all translates to the STFC first team is my concern. I look forward to seeing their detailed ambitious plan to take our beloved club to the next level, where it belongs!

Edited by Wycombe Rebel

I am extremely happy with this news.  It was only a few weeks ago people on here were discussing if it were best if we do get relegated.  We are at the start of a huge financial crisis, we had 299 through the gate for our trophy game against Taunton.  I don`t expect them to put their hands in their pockets and just go and buy the league, it is not a sustainable business model especially at this level.  I think we need to do something different from the norm.  I would much rather see these younger players come in that are hungry, that will chase everything and play for the shirt rather than the mass of loan players that come and go after one or 3 months.  There is nothing better than seeing how these younger players get on once they leave us for example was great seeing Lloyd Owusu moving through the leagues.  Lets get behind A23 they have unbelievable local football knowledge, are already in with local schools so can certainly bring in the new generation of rebels fans which is what we so desperately need too.  Good luck Ashley and team and I am sure with Scotty at the wheel too they will make a formidable chairman and manager of our great club.

7 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Well as it has not traded they are the same.

Get a life.

That shows how totally ignorant you are on this subject in addition to frequently being extremely rude.

e.g. If a private limited company with a nominal share capital of £1,000 consisting of 1,000 £1 ordinary shares was sold for £100,000, the purchase price would be £100 per ordinary share whilst the nominal value remained at £1 per ordinary share. It would not appear that you ever qualified as a member of one of the accountancy institutes.

2 hours ago, Shredding Green said:

That shows how totally ignorant you are on this subject in addition to frequently being extremely rude.

e.g. If a private limited company with a nominal share capital of £1,000 consisting of 1,000 £1 ordinary shares was sold for £100,000, the purchase price would be £100 per ordinary share whilst the nominal value remained at £1 per ordinary share. It would not appear that you ever qualified as a member of one of the accountancy institutes.

You have been warned by the moderators already - watch what you say.

11 hours ago, Richierebel1 said:

I am extremely happy with this news.  It was only a few weeks ago people on here were discussing if it were best if we do get relegated.  We are at the start of a huge financial crisis, we had 299 through the gate for our trophy game against Taunton.  I don`t expect them to put their hands in their pockets and just go and buy the league, it is not a sustainable business model especially at this level.  I think we need to do something different from the norm.  I would much rather see these younger players come in that are hungry, that will chase everything and play for the shirt rather than the mass of loan players that come and go after one or 3 months.  There is nothing better than seeing how these younger players get on once they leave us for example was great seeing Lloyd Owusu moving through the leagues.  Lets get behind A23 they have unbelievable local football knowledge, are already in with local schools so can certainly bring in the new generation of rebels fans which is what we so desperately need too.  Good luck Ashley and team and I am sure with Scotty at the wheel too they will make a formidable chairman and manager of our great club.

👏👏👏

13 hours ago, Richierebel1 said:

This is what we're all hoping for Richie.

Hopefully supporters will be more informed and aware of what the future holds once the sale of the club is ratified and A23 have set out their plans and aspirations for the club going forward.

20 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

Blimey let them in the door first!!! Surely you weren’t expecting an Arab takeover were you? Let’s see what they have to say first and you never know we may be surprised. Personally if they can up the budget to make us competitive at the top end plus we get to cherry pick the best academy players and if there’s some solid business/marketing expertise within the new board then that’s a big win for me.

Did you read my post properly GlenSTFC?  It came in two paragraphs and wasn't writing this deal off at all.

I just said it seemed 'underwhelming' considering all the tittle-tattle/big build up that has gone on beforehand. There may be more to it than what initially appears on the surface, and of course, I'm willing to see what pans out with this venture. However, if I wanted to watch a youth team I would go to watch one, National League South is adult men's football to me, and only so much can be achieved with young players coming through.

I liked the tie in we had with the under 23's Academy when Bakes and Unders were our managers but they knew how far they could go with using young unproven players at this level. I'm just wary that this deal will lead to 'expecting more than it will be able to deliver'. The club should be able to function sustainably which is great in my book but climbing from this division to above usually costs big money and so far no football club has proved otherwise.       

29 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

Did you read my post properly GlenSTFC?  It came in two paragraphs and wasn't writing this deal off at all.

I just said it seemed 'underwhelming' considering all the tittle-tattle/big build up that has gone on beforehand. There may be more to it than what initially appears on the surface, and of course, I'm willing to see what pans out with this venture. However, if I wanted to watch a youth team I would go to watch one, National League South is adult men's football to me, and only so much can be achieved with young players coming through.

I liked the tie in we had with the under 23's Academy when Bakes and Unders were our managers but they knew how far they could go with using young unproven players at this level. I'm just wary that this deal will lead to 'expecting more than it will be able to deliver'. The club should be able to function sustainably which is great in my book but climbing from this division to above usually costs big money and so far no football club has proved otherwise.       

I think most people reading your post would say it was tinged with negativity! I’m just saying maybe wait until they release their plans before slating then? 

22 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

I think most people reading your post would say it was tinged with negativity! I’m just saying maybe wait until they release their plans before slating then? 

Well, it wasn't mean't like that.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

As said on another thread if you look on Companies House it says the new owners and majority share holders of STFC are A23 Football Group Ltd.

The only question is does that mean it's now official?

Well you’d think if the government has approved it then whoever else we’re waiting for should too!!! I just find it quite frustrating especially when a simple short statement would suffice. 

10 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Well you’d think if the government has approved it then whoever else we’re waiting for should too!!! I just find it quite frustrating especially when a simple short statement would suffice. 

Also once it was all official a 'questions and answers' meeting was going to be arranged so that supporters could ask any questions that they may have about the take over.

Edited by Reading Rebel

1 minute ago, Reading Rebel said:

Also once it was all official a 'questions and answers' meeting was going to be arranged so that supporters could ask any questions that they may have about the take over of the club.

Maybe our new owners are very shy and don’t want to talk? Just odd they’re obviously busy setting up these new elite sides but nothing about the first team? Some of the more cynical in nature may say I told you so…

4 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Maybe our new owners are very shy and don’t want to talk? Just odd they’re obviously busy setting up these new elite sides but nothing about the first team? Some of the more cynical in nature may say I told you so…

Plans for next season and beyond could be determined by what division we are in.  

Once we are safe from relegation perhaps a meeting will be arranged then.

I can't recall what Alan Thorne promised, if anything, when he took over but his subsequent signings in the summer gave a clear indication of intent. Martyn Deaner on the other hand said a lot about taking the club back to the Conference and we know how that turned out-although he gave us some good times along the way. 

Edited by Kaiser Gibbs Batman (KGB)
spelling mistake

1 hour ago, Kaiser Gibbs Batman (KGB) said:

I can't recall what Alan Thorne promised, if anything, when he took over but his subsequent signings in the summer gave a clear indication of intent. Martyn Deaner on the other hand said a lot about taking the club back to the Conference and we know how that turned out-although he gave us some good times along the way. 

It's good to keep supporters on side and updated Allan Thorne nearly broke us!

I know what little was reported in the press about the period of transition from Alan/Byron Thorne's ownership to Martyn Deaner's. As to now, maybe I'm just grateful that we haven't have a "Plan to reach the EFL in five years and build (another) new ground in ten" kind of statement.