Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Scott Davies

Great news in my opinion, you can see Scott and Yella want the best for the club which although not the be all and end all it goes a long way for me.

I honestly think this will be the start of something good going forward...

2 hours ago, DonnyNo6 said:

Great news in my opinion, you can see Scott and Yella want the best for the club which although not the be all and end all it goes a long way for me.

I honestly think this will be the start of something good going forward...

At last, positive news for next season. So pleased for Scott and Yella [assuming he's staying,too]. I think both 'weathered the storm' well in their first Slough Town FC season and have been a great credit to our club so far. It was never going to be easy for them picking up the pieces left, while also following on from such well thought of managers as Bakes and Unders, in addressing the slide down the table and getting a functioning team out of a mish mash of loans,youngsters and those Slough players who chose to not depart what looked like a sinking ship. Scott rightly deserves high praise for turning around Slough's fortunes. Many other rookie managers have failed big time in this type of situation, so the praise is worthy in my book.

Last season's experiences should be of help to Scott as he goes into his first full season with our club but it holds no guarantees that he has the knowledge or the acumen to get a new squad together and that he can move our club forward from the Bakes and Unders years.

To me it was a travesty that Bakes and Unders left in the first place,as I believe had they been given the appropriate funds they would have got Slough challenging for the title.  However from the tied hands of Bakes and Unders squad[start of last season] we have gained ground under the guidance of Scott, Togs and Yella [Togs will be a big miss both as a player and coach] and I have found the actual watching of a Scott Davies led team, a better rejuvenating experience than watching the turgid, formulaic, unspectacular team of the hampered joint managers of last season, so hopefully Slough are now back on an upward trajectory.Let's hope so.

Now excited to see who Scott can recruit for our cause.  

1 hour ago, 3spirit said:

At last, positive news for next season. So pleased for Scott and Yella [assuming he's staying,too]. I think both 'weathered the storm' well in their first Slough Town FC season and have been a great credit to our club so far. It was never going to be easy for them picking up the pieces left, while also following on from such well thought of managers as Bakes and Unders, in addressing the slide down the table and getting a functioning team out of a mish mash of loans,youngsters and those Slough players who chose to not depart what looked like a sinking ship. Scott rightly deserves high praise for turning around Slough's fortunes. Many other rookie managers have failed big time in this type of situation, so the praise is worthy in my book.

Last season's experiences should be of help to Scott as he goes into his first full season with our club but it holds no guarantees that he has the knowledge or the acumen to get a new squad together and that he can move our club forward from the Bakes and Unders years.

To me it was a travesty that Bakes and Unders left in the first place,as I believe had they been given the appropriate funds they would have got Slough challenging for the title.  However from the tied hands of Bakes and Unders squad[start of last season] we have gained ground under the guidance of Scott, Togs and Yella [Togs will be a big miss both as a player and coach] and I have found the actual watching of a Scott Davies led team, a better rejuvenating experience than watching the turgid, formulaic, unspectacular team of the hampered joint managers of last season, so hopefully Slough are now back on an upward trajectory.Let's hope so.

Now excited to see who Scott can recruit for our cause.  

As you say there are no guarantees but it won't be for want of trying which is all we can ask.

As you say it was a shame that Bakes and Unders left but imo it wasn't a case of being given more funds but just maintaining the existing budget and not cutting it.

Edited by Reading Rebel

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

As you say there are no guarantees but it won't be for want of trying which is all we can ask.

As you say it was a shame that Bakes and Unders left but imo it wasn't a case of being given more funds but just maintaining the existing budget and not cutting it.

You may be right,RR, about 'maintaining the existing budget and not cutting it' but to me Neil and Jon knew they were 'treading water' and that their options were extremely limited, in what they could do in this division. This could still be the case for Scott and Yella in the 23/24 season, as we're no wiser to knowing the health of our club's finances with these new owners at the helm. Last season we freed up money by the departures of Neil,Jon and Trent and players leaving like George Wells and Guy Hollis,then promoting Slough players to managers/assistants, and then it seemed like we begged,stole and borrowed to get players in with short term loans and recruiting players from lower levels.

The new season recruitment drive will show the fans how far this club has come with these new owners at the helm, and whether our squad will be up to scratch for the first league game of the season.   

11 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

You may be right,RR, about 'maintaining the existing budget and not cutting it' but to me Neil and Jon knew they were 'treading water' and that their options were extremely limited, in what they could do in this division. This could still be the case for Scott and Yella in the 23/24 season, as we're no wiser to knowing the health of our club's finances with these new owners at the helm. Last season we freed up money by the departures of Neil,Jon and Trent and players leaving like George Wells and Guy Hollis,then promoting Slough players to managers/assistants, and then it seemed like we begged,stole and borrowed to get players in with short term loans and recruiting players from lower levels.

The new season recruitment drive will show the fans how far this club has come with these new owners at the helm, and whether our squad will be up to scratch for the first league game of the season.   

I will always be grateful for the ex gaffers services to our club, but personally would have preferred it if they had left before last season started or saw this season through to help get us out of the slump we were in when they left.

On the positive, we got Scotty in and given him a bit of experience as opposed to throwing in pre-season, so not all bad :)

15 minutes ago, REBEL MATTERS said:

I will always be grateful for the ex gaffers services to our club, but personally would have preferred it if they had left before last season started or saw this season through to help get us out of the slump we were in when they left.

On the positive, we got Scotty in and given him a bit of experience as opposed to throwing in pre-season, so not all bad :)

Strangely, Bakes and Unders resigning when they did, sort of helped in a revival of our team's fortunes.Nobody was expecting that to happen back then [myself included]. The first 6 weeks was hard going but eventually a more exciting brand of football started to appear. We have Scott[and possibly Togs] to thank for that. He/they took risks and freed up the team by taking the shackles off, from what sadly had become quite dire stuff at the very latter end of Neil and Jon's reign.

Edited by 3spirit

30 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

B&U started the season with the budget they were given so to call it a day after just a few months to me say's there must of been a cut to their budget either immediately or in the coming months.

I don't know about Trent but I stand to be corrected that Bakes and Unders never took a wage only expenses.

The players that did leave, Hollis, Wells, Kuhl, Harris, North and Ryan Bird must have reduced our budget considerably leaving Scotty to pick up the pieces to bring in loans etc to try and get us out of the mess we were in. 

Of course we don't know for sure but the appearance of A23 must have helped in the latter part of the season to bring in players like Temi, George Alexander and Francis Amartey which were massive in helping us get over the line.

Fantastic news about Scott, and I think this will continue to usher in the new era for Slough. Hopefully he continues to get the support of the board and new ownership as he clearly did last season as this league is going to be a very tough one this coming season and everyone will need to be pulling in the same direction players, management, off the field and supporters to give the club the best chance to build on the survival from last season.

Exciting times ahead.

• 3 weeks later...

As this is talking about managers, and reading the guff about Tottenham's plight to appoint a worthy manager, I'm praying Scott won't be a Frank Lampard in the making....I just heard that Frank went for a job interview and the chairman of the club said 'we're looking for someone responsible'.

Well I'm your man' , Frank replied ' in my last few jobs when ever anything went wrong they said I was responsible. 🤣

Edited by 3spirit