Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Squad for season 2023/4

1 hour ago, 3spirit said:

Players get loads of opportunities to play. It's a squad game,besides I wouldn't think a 19 year old player just released from Wycombe Wanderers would be in a position to demand/or mind if he was behind experienced older strikers in the pecking order. It's down to the manager who he decides to pick.

I actually thought the young player on loan from a club up North [can't remeber his name] looked a better player but I wasn't as convinced that he  should play as a forward. Arnold on the other hand suits being a forward but last season looked out of his depth for Slough in the NLS but to me he's a player that will improve and learn more with a team like Slough being around other better strikers, and also would be cheap and a potential good acquisition for squad recruitment, with the added bonus he now knows the Slough set up.    

Youssef Chentouf on loan from Wigan.

I thought he showed potential.

It was a bit unfortunate for him that he joined us at a time when we were struggling.

7 hours ago, 3spirit said:

Read my post Glen please, I never said Arnold should be seen as our first, second or third choice striker.  I view him as an up and comer, not the finished article yet but a player with 'potential'.    

I have read it thanks and it’s a no as I wouldn’t sign him as back up either. We’ll probably have 3 maybe 4 strikers and one of those places may go to an academy player who has the same or more potential than Arnold. The other place will go to either Benyon or Kayani (be surprised if we keep both). So that leaves 1 or 2. places that I’d want decent experienced players brought in.

Could someone please remind me how many goals our top goal scorer scored last season.

On Francis Amartey, watching him in the last match against Braintree, he made very little effort & looked totally disinterested other than his Batty/Le Saux moment with Matt Lench. I would be very surprised if we see him back with us.

10 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Could someone please remind me how many goals our top goal scorer scored last season.

On Francis Amartey, watching him in the last match against Braintree, he made very little effort & looked totally disinterested other than his Batty/Le Saux moment with Matt Lench. I would be very surprised if we see him back with us.

Josh Jackman and Johnny Goddard were equal top scorers with 6.

TBF to Francis he was making his return after a recurring hamstring injury and with nothing on the game I don't blame him if he wasn't busting a gut.

I would have him back at the drop of a hat but that will depend on Aldershot not wanting him and if he's happy to take a drop in wages. 

15 minutes ago, Curtis said:

He is on a list of Aldershots retained contracted players for next season so youre probably correct!

1 hour ago, Irishadrian said:

He is on a list of Aldershots retained contracted players for next season so youre probably correct!

On the retained list because he's on a contract and on the assumption he's had the discussion with the manager that he's still in their plans for next season.

Not sure Francis will be happy running around the country sitting on the bench.

Edited by Reading Rebel

17 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

After having Amartey and Alexander for me those 2 are a level or two above him and should be the benchmark we’re aiming to recruit now.

I absolutely agree on George Alexander.

I know Francis Amartey has been a fans favourite and when on it & in full flow running at defenders looks great, but it’s all about stats with strikers & for me his don’t add up for me.

He came on loan on 5th January 2023, presumably at a considerable expense, and could have, if fully fit for the duration, played in 22 league matches….. he appeared in 11 & scored 2 goals.

16 hours ago, Curtis said:

I absolutely agree on George Alexander.

I know Francis Amartey has been a fans favourite and when on it & in full flow running at defenders looks great, but it’s all about stats with strikers & for me his don’t add up for me.

He came on loan on 5th January 2023, presumably at a considerable expense, and could have, if fully fit for the duration, played in 22 league matches….. he appeared in 11 & scored 2 goals.

I don't think you would find a Slough spectator who didn't like George Alexander ! He was an inspiration up front and his work rate shutting down players and still scoring plenty of goals was a joy to behold. Best striker we've had in ages.

As for Francis Amartey I think Slough would  have been relegated had he not come to the club. He may not have scored the goals but when he was on the pitch he would frightened opposition defenders with his speed and ball control which would open up good attacking areas for others to play off. I do feel Ogo Obi was hard done by, though, as just when he started to get in his stride and began to score, Francis came in on loan and Scott Davies started to use Francis in preference to Ogo [although Scott did try to play them together on occasion].

I think Slough will be very fortunate if we can get either George or Francis back at our club for 23/24 season [Francis looking a more likely acquisition] but if it doesn't happen perhaps it would be better to start afresh as our goal scoring by our forwards has been woeful for sometime.

One thing I would like to see Scott do this season is to favour having 4 strikers in the squad,as Bakes and Unders in later seasons would only have 3 and preferred always getting in an extra defender than an attacker.  I'm hoping Ogo Obi will be one of those four strikers.

Edited by 3spirit

3 hours ago, 3spirit said:

I don't think you would find a Slough spectator who didn't like George Alexander ! …………. Best striker we've had in ages.

In October 2016 we had an 18 year Elijah Adebayo on loan from Fulham for two months, and he scored a sensational hat trick on his debut for us.

On Saturday he will be starting for Luton against Coventry in the Championship play-off final, and possibly be a Premier League player next season. For me the best striker we have seen at Slough in the last 10 years.

16 minutes ago, Curtis said:

In October 2016 we had an 18 year Elijah Adebayo on loan from Fulham for two months, and he scored a sensational hat trick on his debut for us.

On Saturday he will be starting for Luton against Coventry in the Championship play-off final, and possibly be a Premier League player next season. For me the best striker we have seen at Slough in the last 10 years.

I find some non league football fans are wise about a player in hindsight but how many are willing to stick their neck out and call it before they get in league football? When Elijah Adebayo came in for Slough I thought he did well in a relatively short space of time but I wouldn't say I thought he would be playing for Luton in the Championship seven years on !

I don't believe George Alexander will reach those heady heights either but as a striker brought to Slough on loan I thought what he did on the field of play was exceptional and he certainly proved to be a very exciting prospect. For me his all round game was excellent and he was willing to put himself about for the team. How many strikers do this? Many are more self focussed on their own game, than willing to help out their team.

So Curtis, we both may be viewing what we want to see from our Slough strikers differently. I don't have a set patent to what I think makes a great striker. Some of the best strikers I've seen in non league football over the years never played professionally,so to me it isn't clear cut what and who makes the best footballer.  Luck,opinion and friends in high places often denote who actually makes it and who is passed over. In actual fact some of the biggest talents are not selected to play because they are mavericks and don't fit into team play. Managers make or break players.         

2 hours ago, Curtis said:

When Adebayo first came on loan to Slough I thought he looked a good prospect.

He started with a bang but if I remember rightly the goals dried up a bit.

I though if he got stronger and improved his game he would play in the NL and possibly lower reaches of the football league.

Goes to show you that some players can improve dramatically with age and experience.

As for the best striker seen at Slough in the last 10 years I would nominate 3 players.

Purely as goal scorers/poachers I would say Ed Smith and Danny Burnell.

For all round play and that includes work rate/effort and goals I'd say Matty Stevens. 

On 12/05/2023 at 09:29, Reading Rebel said:

I thought I'd start this thread in anticipation of today's news and going forward to the start of the new season.

Due to popular demand 😅 I'll update this list as and when required.

Goalkeeper

Defenders

Josh Jackman

Gabe George

Jeanmal Prosper

Midfield

Scott Davies

Johnny Goddard

Matt Lench

Kai Allsopp (A23 graduate)

Oscar Lucey (A23 graduate)

Forwards

Mickel Platt

Edited by Reading Rebel

7 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

So any Chesham United fan’s browsing our forum… what can we expect to see from ‘Jammers’?

As Scotty said in his quote for your website. Primarily a right back but definitely an attacking one, scored 12 goals for us last year (no free kicks or pens in there)

Move to Step 2 has been coming for a while, he's been in great form for us for a long while now, he had a short spell at Hemel at one point but think the manager left and he came back to us.

Shame he's moved as we'll be pushing for promotion again next year but he definitely deserves it, however good he is as a player he's even better as a person. Look after him for us

37 minutes ago, cufcgeneral said:

As Scotty said in his quote for your website. Primarily a right back but definitely an attacking one, scored 12 goals for us last year (no free kicks or pens in there)

Move to Step 2 has been coming for a while, he's been in great form for us for a long while now, he had a short spell at Hemel at one point but think the manager left and he came back to us.

Shame he's moved as we'll be pushing for promotion again next year but he definitely deserves it, however good he is as a player he's even better as a person. Look after him for us

Cheers for that, great to hear and looking forward to see how he performs at our level. 

I'm not blowing my own trumpet but I recommended Jeanmal Prosper to Bakes about 8 seasons ago[albeit Slough were in a lower division], so I think this signing is better late than never !

I haven't seen Jeanmal play for a long time but it seems like he's on top of his game playing for Chesham,so I'm chuffed he's joining Slough now. Great news.

Welcome to the 2 A23 players signed up for the first team. I guess these are the first 2 of 8 A23 players Scott agreed to sign as part of his contract? 😉 But in all seriousness I’m guessing these 2 are the ‘creme of the crop’ and I look forward to seeing how they integrate and perform at step 2 although I guess they’ll be introduced gradually.