Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Squad for season 2023/4

On 22/05/2023 at 09:24, GlenSTFC said:

Can’t imagine it’ll be Windsor or Burnham as they wouldn’t be enough of a test, Marlow are dirty nuggets so not sure that’ll be very friendly! Would be great to play Maidenhead, maybe Bracknell or H&Y? Possibly Egham as Manny has just become joint manager?

To be fair Burnham are a decent side when they are at full strength, ended up 4th in the league behind Ascot and above Flackwell Heath, for me preseason is about getting the legs going and fitness, sharpness etc.

And its local 👍

11 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

We did at the start of season 2017/18 in ended 0-0.

Some names to conjure with in our squad for that game:

Jack Turner, Nathan Smart, George Wells, Alan Inns (c) (Nathan Webb), Mark Nisbet, Lee Togwell (Warren Harris), James Dobson (Pete Skapetis), Simon Dunn, Matt Lench (Paul Hodges), Chris Flood (Gavin James), Sean Fraser. Subs not used: Guy Hollis, Brad Wadkins.

Begs the question who the hell was Pete Skapetis?

Don't knock Pete Skapetis, hell of a player who went on to big things. 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, DonnyNo6 said:

To be fair Burnham are a decent side when they are at full strength, ended up 4th in the league behind Ascot and above Flackwell Heath, for me preseason is about getting the legs going and fitness, sharpness etc.

And its local 👍

Didn't see Burnham play last season but to finish 4th ahead of Flackwell Heath would make them a decent side and a good test for pre season. 

1 hour ago, Ian g f said:

He was big down under

Have to take your word for that 😏

21 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Still only 28 and played 22 games last season for Altona Magic in the 2nd tier of Australian football.

Sign him up 😅

He's probably a better player than I ever was but 'Altona Magic' sound like a band that play at a local beer festival. 😂

Ryan Cassidy, a 22 year old striker, was released by Watford this time last year.

He was an U17/U18/U19 Republic of Ireland player, and I had heard he had the ability to eventually play in the Football League.

It looks like he signed for Hayes & Yeading in February, doesn’t look like he has made any appearances for them yet though.

Small update for everyone…

I’ve watched Mickel a number of times over the past couple of years, and also a few times again this season. He’s always been a problem for the opposition with his work rate, pace and power etc.

The most exciting part is that he’s nowhere near the finished article and think he will only get better! Delighted that he’s chosen us over a couple of others.

We’ve got 3 more over the line (in addition to Mickel) yesterday/today. Two will be announced Wednesday next week I hope once we can get the players to the ground, and the other is on holiday right now so could take a week or two to get it boxed off.

Slowly but surely getting there but it certainly takes time! But thought I’d update you all.

Scotty!

6 minutes ago, Scott Davies said:

I’ve watched Mickel a number of times over the past couple of years, and also a few times again this season. He’s always been a problem for the opposition with his work rate, pace and power etc.

The most exciting part is that he’s nowhere near the finished article and think he will only get better! Delighted that he’s chosen us over a couple of others.

We’ve got 3 more over the line (in addition to Mickel) yesterday/today. Two will be announced Wednesday next week I hope once we can get the players to the ground, and the other is on holiday right now so could take a week or two to get it boxed off.

Slowly but surely getting there but it certainly takes time! But thought I’d update you all.

Scotty!

Sounds like Mickel has similar traits as Amartey? Were the other interested clubs at step 2 or 3?

29 minutes ago, Scott Davies said:

Scotty!

Just a quick question Scott, if Rhys is not between the sticks next season how are you progressing with a new keeper?

Never seen Mickel Platt play but from what Scott says about him,and given his age, he appears to be the right sort of striker we need.  

I like that he has chosen to play for Slough than others, I hope it's not just about the money on offer. 

On paper it looks a very good signing. I will look forward to seeing him in action. Good luck to the lad. 

50 minutes ago, Ian g f said:

Rhys Foster will not be playing for us next season

Not a surprise to me. Wish him well but our club moves on.

Mickel had 2 other step 2 clubs and a few step 3 clubs.

Rhys is genuinely one of the nicest lads you could wish to meet but has probably been a victim of us being able to get in a loan keeper (Will Dennis) at no cost at all. It’s one of those positions where I’ve been offered 7-8 keepers from Premier League/Championship clubs yet again for next season at zero cost. It’s allows us to spend more money in other areas of the pitch which obviously helps.

We will have a few in on trial during pre-season to see who we go with. An important position that we must get right! 

Edited by Scott Davies

8 minutes ago, Scott Davies said:

Mickel had 2 other step 2 clubs and a few step 3 clubs.

Rhys is genuinely one of the nicest lads you could wish to meet but has probably been a victim of us being able to get in a loan keeper (Will Dennis) at no cost at all. It’s one of those positions where I’ve been offered 7-8 keepers from Premier League/Championship clubs yet again for next season at zero cost. It’s allows us to spend more money in other areas of the pitch which obviously helps.

We will have a few in on trial during pre-season to see who we go with. An important position that we must get right! 

Very interesting and surprising about the no cost. Hopefully the success of Will’s loan has shown other clubs were a great option to play and improve their goalkeepers. Great that we have pre-season to try out a few and choose one hopefully for a season long loan.