Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Full time or part time

Ronnie

A lot has been said about us going full time and I agree that we won't survive for long in this league unless we do. I also think that with our limited income and no 'money bags' benefactor it is impossible at the moment. But I think that a major step would be to make Andy full time. He runs a business, has a family, and god knows probably a social life as well, but his commitment to the club in terms of time and effort cannot be questioned. If we can't have a full time team, lets at least have a full time manager.

With the FA Cup money and the guarenteed income from the sponsorship deal over the next few years I can't see any reason for not making Andy Ford a full-time manager.

He seems to put in a lot of hours beyond his role as a part-time manager of a non-league club unless the Chairman pays him overtime! smile.gif

As a full-time Manager, the Club would benefit in terms of:

1) He could scout more Reserve team games at the likes of The Valley,

Gillingham and Loftus Road - most of our loanees are from QPR!

2) He could watch a player more than once before making a

snap-decision whether to sign him. Our player turnover is far too

high - partly I suspect because he has to take a gamble on a

player and sign him on the basis of 1 showing or risk losing him

to a rival club.

3) The PASE lads would benefit from the extra coaching.

4) He could write a weekly article for the website i.e. a Managers

Report.

and so on . . .

IMO if we go full time, the whole club does. Not just the manager.

If we look at the problems we face at the moment with being part time:

1) Players train less. This means they do less work on each aspect of their game.

2) players are not as fit as full timers

3) we cannot attract as much talent because we are part time

I don't see how making Andy full time would help. He would still have the same amount of time training with them. This does not eliminate points 1 and 2. Players would still not come because we are part time. So the whole club needs to make the transition.

If the money that the NLP talks about, which is currently spread from Premiership clubs amongst Nationwide League clubs, is filtered down to the Conference, there will be a reasonable extra income for all clubs in the future. It may not be the "be all and end all" to push the club to full time status, but every little helps.

As stated many times before, (unless one of our supporters wins the lottery and can single-handedly pay for the club's full time status) the easiest route to full-time football is HIGHER ATTENDANCES!! The problem with that is we have tried just about everything to get the community more interested in GNFC (about 1 in 100 people in the town watch the Fleet), from discounts, prematch entertainment, free tickets. And with free tickets most kids will go for free but will not be willing to pay a fiver every week to see us. BACK TO SQUARE ONE