Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Today's referee.

Poor and lacking common sense.

For sure Proth's handled it on the line, was guilty of unsporting behavior and should be punished; but the game was a friendly and it should have been enough for him to be sent walking for an early bath, not with the unnecessary red card, but by instant substitution. The aim of this game was to exercise and try out players; but because of the referee's unnecessary attention to detail the game became blighted with little up front achievement as the 10 men tried to contain the Gill's pressure. It is a credit that they were held to two goals after the incident.

I remember last year's Gills friendly when McKim, I think it was (apology if incorrect), tussled constantly with the young Gill's midfielder who eventually became agitated and threw a petulant arm. The referee appeared to send them both for an early bath with substitutions taking place immediately. Common sense prevailed then; today was plain dogmatic nonsense. Players of both sides remonstrated for common sense to prevail but our man in black lost not only the plot today but lost respect for his position and brought refereeing standards back up for a very early seasonal discussion!

I would guess that today's red card will count in the season's tally and that Proth's will miss a league game as exclusion from further friendly games won't count, even though the sending off was during a friendly game.

Not the refs fault - according to RK, FIFA have issued one of their wonderful edicts - that friendlies, because there are paying public, should be treated the same as a league/ cup game etc, when it comes to Yellow & Red Cards.

The refs have said they dont like this, and, I guess in many cases, the ref can get away with ignoring the odd dodgy challenge (or backchat - such as Chris Moore's today, where he would no doubt have been yellow carded in a league game, but ref sensibly just spoke to him). Unfortunately, Proth's handball was a clear breach of rules and was an offence that FIFA deem to be punishable with a Red Card. Had the ref ignored the rule, he would potentially be suspended for flouting FIFA rules - especially as he had an assessor in the stand.

If FIFA view friendlies as games in which standard rules apply however, and suspensions now apply from following Saturday, then on that logical basis (and FIFA of course arent very logical!), Proth's should be suspended for next Saturday's friendly and NOT the first league game.

I hope thats the case - but if not, we have an able deputy in Lee Gledhill, so it wont be disastrous.

In the meantime, its about time we got rid of Mr Blatter - 1st the max substitutions rule (subsequently thrown out) and now this - farcical is the word that springs to mind !!

I agree, Alan. But why couldn't the ref decreed the ball over the line before Proths handled it. No one would have argued , Proths could have been subbed right away, ref gets full marks from the assessor (who would not have been in a position to argue against the refs decision) and the game would have carried on 11 a side.

10 v 11 did no favours to either side.

Despite the intransigent rulesfrom UEFA, the FA and FIFA, there is always a way round these problems.

All it needs is a little common sense.

Which the ref didn't have.

Easy to say with hindsight, but ref only had an instant to decide this matter and, having agreed with linesman that it was a penalty, he could scarcely then have decided the ball was over the line and award a goal.

Equally, this was effectively a 2 person decision. Ref could scarcely have awarded a goal when linesman was person in best position to decide and he'd flagged for a penalty.

Daft of Proths to handle it really though - a competitve league game or a cup game may make it worthwhile conceding a penalty and getting sent off - but as result didnt matter today, he may as well have let goal in (Is it actually worth handling on the line at all, I wonder - how many times are penalties missed in such cases, and even if they are missed, how many times does being 1 player short effectively cost a side the game anyway??)

As long as the suspension applies to a friendly rather than the first league game, it wont matter anyway - that is now the crucial issue.

It is difficult to argue that Proths should not have been sent off for handball on the line. But what annoyed me was that just before the Gillingham first goal there was blatant retaliation by their centre forward, with the ref no more than two yards from the incident. Not only did we not get a free kick but he allowed play to continue from which Gillingham scored and didn't do anything about the retaliation offence. If the ref was going to stick to the rules on handball then why didn't he stick to the rules on retaliation?

PS Congratulations to the Gills captain for spending so long trying to persuade the ref to keep his red card in his pocket.

Ref said on RK that he'd warned both managers before that a REd Card Offence would get Red Card. But as someone else said - if you apply rules properly to that incident, they need to be fully applied to Yellow cards as well - and we need to know there is consistency from all Refs in all Friendlies about applying the laws.

Apart from Ewan Roberts, I thought the Gills played the game in spendid spirit, competitive, tough butfair tackling but with a smile and a brisk handshake.

I would be more worried if I was Hessenthaler, though, as the Gills had no star quality players and looked very ordinary, whereas we played some really nice football, and look to be bonding into a fine squad.

As a neutral (supports both teams) to yesterday's game I feel I can say that both teams played some decent football but neither side ever really carved out any real decent chances apart from Essendoah and Agyemang. Some will say Gills looked anything but a Championship side but I would put that down to Fleet's stubborn rear-guard and the fact that Fleet have progressed immensely. I remember in recent years we have been able to stuff you but now Fleet have a decent and talented squad. I felt tho both teams lacked someone who could play a killer pass. Fleet missed Perkins in the middle and Drury out wide - Jacko not the same player. Gills have been looking for a passer of the ball since Osborn left.

I was also surprised to see Surey playing for Fleet yesterday, i didnt realise that he'd come back albeit on trial. He still doesnt look good enough for me and would be a waste of a contract as Fleet are overloaded in midfield. Fleet still need another forward. Pinnock was probably Fleet's brightest player.

The ref?? well, no comments for him. I agree he had to apply the rules but he defeated the object of the game. Gills don't want to play against 10 men and Fleet when building up match fitness dont wanna play with only 10.

Interesting discussion. Do you actually need to have official refereeing at friendly games? If a friendly game was organised and no officials appointed but the staff of both teams did it, (one in each half perhaps) would this contravene FA ruling?

Alternatively, if the referees need to be watched during friendlies perhaps they could also be substituted to exercise them and try them out.

I thought that in friendlies they only got local refs to do it therefore this ref is clearly not good enough and never will progress so why try to make an impression?? Maybe he was just trying to get some attention!

Well as a game it was terrible, i stood with four mates 3 Gills & 1 Charlton fan they were all against the sending off, all felt Roberts should have been yellow carded for his tackle and kicking of Porter which led to the Gills goal, it was a stroll in the park for Gills, they will not set the league on fire and they know it, and for Fleet mid table around 10-12, in the evening a mate of mine who is a ref and was actually ref at Chatham against Hertford on saturday was asked by us about the sending off, he said it is the law of the game and he has to go as simple as that, the law is different this year.

Quote:
Chad said:
I thought that in friendlies they only got local refs to do it therefore this ref is clearly not good enough and never will progress so why try to make an impression?? Maybe he was just trying to get some attention!

Actually, he is a Conference Referee.